Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Discussion All general comments or enquiries go here. Website, club oriented, or general Skyline banter.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 11:16 PM   #1
ex-static
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to ex-static
Looking to buy an R33 Gtst - what to look for?

Well as the topic says i'm shopping around for an R33 GTS-t, and I wouldnt mind hearing from some owners of the vehicles in what to look for? as in common problems? or how to tell if its been used as a drifter, or been in an accident, etc..

Basically how to tell if I'm buying a decent car, or someone elses hassles.

I looked at a pretty nice r33 a few days back, the owner has had it for about 10months, and wants to upgrade to something newer. Its an r33 gtst '96, spec2, think its done around 40,000k's on it, very stock an original inside and out, apart from air filter an exhaust, drives very smoothly, and seems all round in good condition. He's asking approx 25k, private sale of course.

So.. any suggestions would be great.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:36 AM   #2
moondog
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to moondog Send a message via AIM to moondog
As you can see, I also have a 1996 spec 2 GTS25t, and they're a real nice car. There have been a few horror stories on here (including my own) about misfiring R33s, but they all seem to get sorted out, and run really well.

As far as price goes - where are you??

Checking it out - get a mechanic you trust to have a look at it, and give it a good drive. Dunno what else really.

1996 R33 series 2 GTS25t coupe 173 rwkw
moondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:46 AM   #3
RazorGTR
Skyline Man

It will be the same with any Skyline. Have it checked out especially if it is a private sale. coil packs are not the strongest and do crap out. Upper and lower bushes along with radius arm bushes.

If it is modified then find out who did the mods and make sure they were done properly.
Never confuse kindess with weakness.
AF user guidelines, Please remember to abide by them
RazorGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 06:28 PM   #4
[TWUBLE]
AF Enthusiast

also have someone check the compression on the car and give it a thourough look over....

Proud to be a member of the AF Kiwi Krew!
---------------------------------------------------
1 life, 1 licence, 1 day, Save it for the strip...

You cant begin to consider the palpable hate in the air when your near. - s|ipkn0t
Why do I have a conscious. All it does is fuck with me! - k0Rn

[TWUBLE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 11:00 PM   #5
ex-static
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to ex-static
I'm from melb australia, I'll be definatley having it completely checked out mechanically.

Basically this thread was to find out how to check if the car has been mis-treated and to be able to find out whether im buying a lemon or what not.

I have a few in mind that i'm looking at and all seem in good order.. and have all already been registered and privately driven in australia for over 10 months, so that in itself could be a good thing..
Old 01-26-2002, 07:55 PM   #6
R33inJP
AF Newbie

I there was a choice, I would buy a 33T close to stock as possible except for intake & exhaust. Mods on a car indicate a car driven hard which is not a bad thing in itself but there are too may variables as far as if the mods were done correctly or was the car tuned properly. Would definitely take a mechanic if you can, check compression, check underbody for signs of car riding over curbs, suspension alignment, shaft to differential play. Last and most important, drive it.
R33inJP is offline   Reply With Quote