Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Da_Bore
AF Newbie

Turbo swapping for a 03'WRX

Hi,

I was wondering what will be a good turbo choice to swap my 03' WRX turbo to a new one.
I wanna buy one of eBay for max of 550$. But there are alot of them like T70 and TD05 16G and mich more. I was wondering if the TD05 16G turbo is any good??
Also, when your changing a new turbo, do you need to upgrade your intercooler and if is there anything else you need to upgrade ??? Or is it depending on how much HP and PSi of boost you want??

Like me, I want at least 10-12PSi of boost and a turbo from eBay for max of 550$.

Can anyone please explain everything about what I just wrote about the mods and the turbo choice.

Thank you!!
Da_Bore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Re: Turbo swapping for a 03'WRX

ok sounds like you dont need a turbo. the stock turbo can do 10-12 psi no problem. and is decently efficient in that range. the only reason to change a turbo is if the one you have is too big i.e. way too much lag and you arent boosting very much, or the one you have is too small i.e. youve raised the boost, gotten bigger fuel injectors, and maxed out the turbos capacity. you would see the AF mix getting rich and power tapering off at higher rpm. or if you are racing and want to optimize the flow characteristics and spool up to be the most efficient, you can study compressor charts until your eyes bleed. if you dont know what im talking about, you really dont need to be messing with your turbo.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Da_Bore
AF Newbie

Hey,
Thanks for the reply.

What Im looking forward to is to gain more HP on the car (not toooo much there) but just about from 227hp stock to about less then lets say 400hp or something. Since if you upgrade your turbo, its the easiest way to gain some more hp. Anyways, what turbo can you propose to swap in?
I was looking on eBay for some less then 500$ and I found TD05 16G turbo and there were some T70's aswell. They are for about good price and the TD05 is a direct bolt on for the stock WRX turbo. Or can you just help me dice which one to get for less then 500$ and aslo I want it to make a good sound @ high RPM's.

Also, when you change to a better, different turbo, do you need to upgrade your intercooler and also some parts for the car?? Can you please tell me which/

Thanks again man, I really appreciate your help!!!
Da_Bore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

ok so your looking for a semi streetable 400hp. i say semi streetable because theres no way to make 400hp in a wrx without a decent amount of lag. how much are you willing to spend on this? lets see a good turbo will cost anywhere from $700 to $1000, new fuel pump 100 bucks, new injectors around 3-400 bucks, an exhaust around 5-700 bucks, new intercooler around 300 bucks, more if you want a name brand. new clutch to handle the power, plus a flywheel resurface at the least. and new tires because the stock ones wont last long with 400hp. oh and if you want reliability, i would factor in another grand or two for piggy backs and dyno tuning, at the least. so if you have at least 5 grand to put into this project, i can help you out. if your looking for 400hp for 550 bucks, your wrx is gonna be blown to pieces by your stupidity.

last of all, but certainly not least, dont ever buy turbo parts from ebay. some people can get away with it, but since you think that what turbo you have makes your car sound different, you arent smart enough to safely make that decision. granted since you want a turbo that makes your car sound cooler, you arent smart enough to have a wrx so do everyone a favor and sell it, and buy a civic. theres enough of them to withstand the loss of a few because of idiots who try and buy 400hp ebay turbos that sound cool.

now if none of the above applies to you, you will thus ignore my rant, go out and learn what it takes about cars, then make an informed decision based on realistic fact not what you saw in f+f or read in the latest stupor street.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport