Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 11:34 AM   #31
91 funrunner
AF Regular

i think itwas bad juju in your gas tank but maybe toytech was right
91 funrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #32
timber677
AF Newbie

Re: please help. 94 4runner wont start. not starter or battery

I had the same exact problem. Toyotech's fix worked perfectly. In fact someone had attempted it previously but the fix was shabby at best. Now the whole electical system works perfectly. Thanks for the help.
timber677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #33
tnj8222
AF Newbie

i just wanted to thank the toyotech... i had the same problem unfortunatly i didnt read this until after i replaced the starter.. thanks man worked like a charm... like another guy this fix was attempted before on my 89 4 runner and did a crappy job with to small a gauge of wire. i took it down to a 4 gauge and problem solved.
tnj8222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #34
BourreSeven
AF Newbie

Thanks guys- I'm having a pretty similar problem with my 94 4Runner SR5 manual... clicks but does not turn over. I've got a multimeter and tested from the + terminal to the relay box side of this wire and its showing 12V (- probe on the engine block for grounding). But BrianR is sayin this won't tell me if it's actually this wire that's the problem?
I pulled the alternator fuse out of the bottom of the relay box and this wire looks to be sodered as well as crimped onto that end (the end on the + terminal is just a washer under a bolt). Any advice would be great. Just spent hurricane Issac in my apt and would have been good to have the truck working just in case I had to roll out.
BourreSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #35
christyinleadville
AF Newbie

I have a '95 4runner that has been sitting all winter. A few weeks ago, I jump started it and drove for just 10 minutes...everything was fine. I tried to jump it this weekend after some very very cold weeks (-30F) and it wouldn't start and the battery looked terrible (bloated, corroded, etc). So I went and bought a new battery and put it in. When I open the drivers door, the buzz from the key being in the ignition sounds, the headlights turn on, but there is no power inside. No dome lights, no radio, no dash lights, no clutch start cancel, and the ignition seems to not work either because there is no clicking, no turn over, NOTHING! I checked fuses and replaced two 15's in the engine but don't know how to check the relays...should I just bring them to CarQuest? I also know the battery terminal cables are new. I heard maybe it is the cable going from the battery to the fuse box?
christyinleadville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #36
Victor520
AF Newbie

may be you should make a diagnostic in a garage or you can do it by yourself
Old 10-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #37
lacerveche
AF Newbie

My 94 4runner wont start. Plenty of battery and new starter, it acts like it is not getting gas. 1/4 tank of gas, good fuel filter.
lacerveche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #38
brianbacharz
AF Newbie

Hi, first timer here - cool. OK, on topic I may be dealing w a similar issue. Before I change the starter,..( to anyone who has completed this job) probably a super simple answer, but in order to replace that cable - you have to disassemble the fuse box just to get at that cable??

Take the two screws that hold it on,.. off,..take out all the relays,..then what looks like some sort of a jumper there - on the end - closest to the battery - with multiple wires going in and out of the two - white - electronic type of connectors - which should disassemble when you poke a screwdriver in there and try and pry them off,.....

right!!!???

how exactly do they disassemble??
I am having such an issue with this I do not want to damage those wires,..
but would be nice to just chane a wire there rather than a starter - down there,...
Thanks so much to anyone who will read and answer this,.. worth a try I guess / ratio of difficulty to do the starter,...ha,..
brianbacharz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianbacharz For This Useful Post:
94Runner94 (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #39
94Runner94
AF Newbie

Just chase the wire till you find the bad part, I had to dissemble the whole thing because the previous owner kind of butchered it.
94Runner94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #40
junkyardcar
AF Newbie

OK this sucked. Had the exact same problem. OUT OF THE BLUE my 95 4 runner won't crank. No power, sounds and feels like a dead battery or bad starter. Thinking my 1 yr old battery went dead I replace the alternator and recharge the battery, aaaand NOTHING. Then find this post and begin looking into ToyotaTech's potential cause. Removed the battery, begin to disconnect the cable from the positive terminal in tracing the 'fat' wire going to the fuse box and find everything to be fine. HOWEVER while disconnecting the main cable from the terminal I notice it WAS NOT completely TIGHT. So while reconnecting the terminal, tightened things down nice and tight, reconnect the battery doing exactly nothing more, put the key in the ignition and BAM !! kicks right over. Go figure. Thanks ToyotaTech. You rock.
junkyardcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #41
Mentaltruckr
AF Newbie

Well its 9-12-15 and I have a 1995 A Sr5 4Runner V6 and Yes of course its still happening. So I guess going to tackle the issues tomorrow...Have already put a new alternator and all new belts in. Tomorrow will be placing the battery cables from bottom to top both hot and ground. If this doesnt work will give the idea of ToyotaTech a go.....Will let ya guys know...
Mentaltruckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #42
panda45
AF Newbie

Angry help

i have a 1990 Toyota 4runner and it wont start my gas tank was puncher-ed by my drive line from driving (i was driving at the time) so i shut my car off and had it towed and now i have a new gas tank installed but my car wont start after putting in more gas i have check everything and everything is still good but my car refuses to start what do i do now
panda45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #43
rui_geraldes
AF Newbie

Today I temporarily I turn off my surf (1994 Surf 1kz) and when I try to tur on again, the panel did not have any normal lighting, the radio did not work, the windows do not operate... Apparently all the fuses are ok. Any suggestion or recommendation ?
Best regards.
rui_geraldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #44
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

See post #21 and related posts.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #45
rui_geraldes
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui_geraldes View Post
Today I temporarily I turn off my surf (1994 Surf 1kz) and when I try to tur on again, the panel did not have any normal lighting, the radio did not work, the windows do not operate... Apparently all the fuses are ok. Any suggestion or recommendation ?
Best regards.
Thankfully I managed to find the cause.
I decided to double-check the fuses and found the fuse marked as AM1 (40A) burned.
Replaced the fuse, and everything was OK, but when I turn the key to start, the fuse burn immediately.
I searched for a cable that was causing the short circuit, and found that the starter was loose.
Therefore, this fuse has blown due to the start engine be loose.
So the issue is resolved. It was not due to any fault of cables or contacts.
I share my experience because I think it should not be too common find the starter loose.
rui_geraldes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rui_geraldes For This Useful Post:
Brian R. (01-07-2016)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470