Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
no-sweat
AF Newbie

Question Brake rotor replacement

So one of my rear brakes was making a noise and yadda-yadda. Long story short I ended up replacing both rear rotors and brake pads. After they were all done, the guy told me I should really get the front ones replaced too because they would wear the back ones down (making the $250 I just spent pointless). Is there any truth to this? I'm no expert but I examined all four rotors and I could visibly see the back ones were pretty bad which is why I only replaced them. Any advice?

And on a completely unrelated topic, is it true that using your air conditioning doesn't use more gas? My girlfriend said they did it on Mythbusters and they concluded using A/C does not use gas!

Thanks guys!!

p.s. I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT with front wheel drive... if that matters.
no-sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44
Re: Brake rotor replacement

I think that guy was trying to upsell you. Your front brakes do 70% of the work when braking anyway so I don't see how the fronts would wear down the frears.

I'm no expert on AC (or much else for that matter) but since it runs on the power of the crank its taking power away from the engine requiring more effort for acceleration. In my mind that equates to more gas being used to power engine revolutions but I have no scientific proof to back that up

00accord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

you only have to replace brake pads when they're worn. you rarely have to replace disks unless they're worn or the're not running true.

if the front pads are worn, reaplce them. if they're not worn, don't.

and the fronts actually take 75% of the braking.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

A/C definitely effects fuel economy. Anything that makes the engine work harder will. The argument that is usually discussed is, with new cars being so aerodynamic, that at freeway speeds, you can have better mpg with the A/C on and windows closed than with A/C off and windows open.

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
no-sweat
AF Newbie

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll save $250 and not give into his little warning about replacing the front ones. Thanks!
no-sweat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical