Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

ac compressor vs ac clutch?

So on my 05 sedona, the pulley on the compressor is not turning nearly as fast as the belt turns and there is a smell of burning rubber. How do I know if it is the compressor that is bad or the clutch? I haven't checked to see if the air works. My girlfriends drives it and its cold outside so only the heat has been used. If I should start the car and turn the air on let me know. I didn't want to cause any more harm than needed.
HeWhoKillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
jeffmorris
AF Regular

Re: ac compressor vs ac clutch?

If possible, take the belt off the pulley and try to turn the pulley and the clutch. If either one is bad, have A/C compressor replaced.
jeffmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

So are you saying that with the AC off the compressor clutch at the very end of the pulley is rotating? With the AC off, that part of the pulley should not be rotating at all. If it is, it would seem that the compressor clutch has some issue and is not properly disengaging. You could try unplugging the electrical connector for the clutch field coil to confirm there isn't some source of current causing the field coil to partially engage but that seems unlikely.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
So are you saying that with the AC off the compressor clutch at the very end of the pulley is rotating? With the AC off, that part of the pulley should not be rotating at all. If it is, it would seem that the compressor clutch has some issue and is not properly disengaging. You could try unplugging the electrical connector for the clutch field coil to confirm there isn't some source of current causing the field coil to partially engage but that seems unlikely.

-Rod
I couldnt tell if the clutch was or not. I just know something is keeping the pulley itself from turning as freely. Its causing a burning rubber smell because the belt is turning faster than the pulley is being allowed to spin.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

I'd suggest taking the belt off and trying to manually spin the pulley by hand, with the engine off and key out of the ignition obviously. If the pulley is dragging then there is most likely an issue with the clutch assembly that is preventing it from fully disengaging. You might be able to get by with buying a belt for a 2005 Sedona without A/C if such an option existed. But sometimes the belt routing and idler pulley layout is different for non-A/C versions so you'd want to check your owner's manual for belt routing to see if that is the case for your car.

-Rod
Old 10-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
I'd suggest taking the belt off and trying to manually spin the pulley by hand, with the engine off and key out of the ignition obviously. If the pulley is dragging then there is most likely an issue with the clutch assembly that is preventing it from fully disengaging. You might be able to get by with buying a belt for a 2005 Sedona without A/C if such an option existed. But sometimes the belt routing and idler pulley layout is different for non-A/C versions so you'd want to check your owner's manual for belt routing to see if that is the case for your car.

-Rod
I looked for bypass pulleys but I don't think they make them for my van. I may just replace the compressor. How does one drain the refrigerent? And recharge? Ive not done that before.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

You may not need a bypass pulley, you may be able to just buy the belt for a 2005 Sedona without A/C. But you'd want to study the belt routing diagrams of each to determine if it's that simple.

You can't legally drain the refrigerant and recharge, even though you can purchase replacement refrigerant and the tools to evacuate and recharge. Your best bet would be to go to a shop you trust that has the equipment to recover the refrigerant from your A/C system. Explain to them that you will be replacing the compressor and you will bring the vehicle back to them to have the system evacuated and recharged. Ask them if they'll credit you for the amount of refrigerant they recovered from your system when you have them recharge it.

-Rod
Old 01-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Old thread, but rather than removing the belt, turn off the engine after running for a few minutes and touch the pully to see if it is hot. It should get really hot if the belt is slipping with good tension on the belt. Also, check that the belt is tight and that the tensioner arm moves freely (assuming it has one) keeping in mind tnat the arm contains a tight spring.

FYI, Rod is correct that it is not legal to vent an ac system without capturing the R134a. However it is interesting that you can buy "canned compressed air" intended to be vented directly into the air that is 100% R134a.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical