Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
-=sdc=-
AF Newbie

Thumbs down mustang rear-end problems..

ok I will try to make this as short as possible...
I bought a 2002 mustang gt conv. (man. Trans.)last August., so I have had it about 10 months. after owning it for a month I heard a "thump" when backing up once in a while. I brought it to the dealer and could find nothing wrong, they greased everything and noise seemed to disappear on its own.... now to the problem...I developed a loud "squeek" this past weekend from the rear-end. After crawing under the car I noticed it was coming from a broken bracket which holds (forgive the non tech. description) a sort of stabilizer arm conected to the rear differential case.(there is one on both sides of it) The stabilizer arm about a 1 1/2 feet long connects to a bracket that is welded to the underneath of the car. I brought it to the closest dealership and they are telling me its not covered by warantee, because it was caused by extreme driving abuse...or torque to the rearend. I asked them to clarify and they said spinning of tires, excellerating hard around corners, power shifting, etc. All of this I have not done ! I have a set of new (wider) tires and rims on it for the last 3 months, and they are in perfect condition. The tires I took off are in garage and still have enough tread to pass inspection. If I drove this hard they both would be toast ! I am asking for anyones help, either know of someone else who has had a similar problem, or some advise on how to get this covered under warrantee ! I have NO idea how or why this broke except for maybe Previous owner damage. They are telling me its gonna be over $1000 to fix it ! any help or advice would be GREAT ! Thanks
-=sdc=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:36 PM   #2
ridge_runner
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ridge_runner Send a message via MSN to ridge_runner
Re: mustang rear-end problems..

sounds like your torque arm, now im not to familar with the mustangs, but you could get it welded back up, or does it bolt in?? it should not cost anywhere around 1000 to fix
ridge_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:40 PM   #3
ridge_runner
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ridge_runner Send a message via MSN to ridge_runner
Re: mustang rear-end problems..

or yea like you said stabilizer bar.....
ridge_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:48 PM   #4
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Sounds like your upper control arms from what you are describing. If you could get us picture so we know exactly what you are talking about we could give you the best advice.

Also this is something that could cost you near $1,000 dollars or so. If your not doing the work and it is let's say the upper control arm mount on the axle is broke. Getting it fixed by a good local welder is not bad say $200. But it needs to be taken out to do a good job and your looking at $500 or more at a local garage to have your axle removed and put back in the car.

GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk