Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
TheUnforgiven462
AF Newbie

'99 Key won't turn to start position

It stops just before the start pos. I have taken the lock cylinder out and if I stick a screwdriver into the ignition it will turn all the way and start but it quickly dies. I assume this is an anti-theft feature. Since I can start it that way, I am thinking it is the lock cylinder itself. AdvanceAuto has one for $196 but they say I have to get the dealer to reprogram the comp to change it. That means I have to get it towed there. I've heard people on here say they changed them themself. Is there a way to free it up somehow? The car is on it's way out and I don't want to sink a ton of money into it. Does anyone have any advise?
TheUnforgiven462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
kirkwood158
AF Regular

Re: '99 Key won't turn to start position

look in the problem diagnosis section and read daughterisis1313 post about ignition key or ask this person on private message .The Haynes manual at the auto parts store has good info about changing the lock cylinder out . you will need the book. guess Iam to lazy to type all of the procedure out.

anwser to next post :COOL THEN I do not know how to free up

Last edited by kirkwood158; 04-14-2008 at 04:33 PM.
kirkwood158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
TheUnforgiven462
AF Newbie

I do have the manual. It is very easy to do. I just ordered the part for $210. It should be here in a couple days.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
TheUnforgiven462
AF Newbie

Problem fixed! (I hope). My dad knows a little about locks so I had him look at it. We took the actual cylinder out. There is a long narrow brass cap that covers the lock pins. This had come loose enough to stick up a little and catch inside the sleeve. He popped that back into place and the key tured all the way to start. I put it in the car, reset the anti theft and it worked fine. To reset the anti-theft you turn the key to "run". Let it sit in that position for 10 minutes, turn it back to "off" and then start it. I stopped and Advanced and cancelled my order for the new one($210). I hope this helps others as I see alot of post on here about this.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:37 AM   #5
Derk_eliso
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Derk_eliso Send a message via MSN to Derk_eliso Send a message via Yahoo to Derk_eliso

you wouldn't have to get it reprogramed anyway... past 2003 maybe.... but not on a 99.
Derk_eliso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
yhandor
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to yhandor

Yea i sell these all the time and have had to change one myself on my car, just gotta reset anti theft thats it.............it would be so easy to steal a car lol. Naughty naughty

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis