Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Legacy / Liberty / Baja
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 03:03 AM   #1
martygraw99
AF Newbie

Brake Problem - 96 Subaru Legacy Outback 4-W/D

I have a 96 Subaru Legacy Outback 4 W/D. I am having brake problems that I cannot resolve. I just did a complete brake job - turned all rotors, replaced pads with Raybestus Quiet Stop premiums, and replaced the front wheel bearings. Now when I apply the brakes as the vehicle slows down the brakes make noise, the brake pedal shudders/pulses down almost as though the ABS system is kicking in on a skid. The sound is a rubbing noise to the motion of the wheels, then after stopping and resuming in motion there is a much lighter rubbing sound for a short time period. Sometimes if I pump the brakes when this happens the problem will stop but resume when the brakes are applied next. Several times the ABS light has lit on the dash and when this happens the brake system operates normally and perfectly without any noise or pulsing/shuddering.
I have removed the pads and returned the rotors a second time as well as roughed up the pads and reinstalled and still have the same problem. The noise seems to coming only from the front end brakes, not the rears.
Does anyone know what is possibly wrong or what I need to do to correct it??? Please advise?? thanks
martygraw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
StNicholas
AF Newbie

Re: Brake Problem - 96 Subaru Legacy Outback 4-W/D

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygraw99
I have a 96 Subaru Legacy Outback 4 W/D. I am having brake problems that I cannot resolve. I just did a complete brake job - turned all rotors, replaced pads with Raybestus Quiet Stop premiums, and replaced the front wheel bearings.
I assume you have inspected the new parts vs old parts for compatability? Simplest problems would be that they gave you the wrong pads or a tab is bent wrong.

If you reuse the old pads, does the problem continue? If not, your bearing job may need inspection. Good luck.

Nick
92 Legacy (AWD, auto, 123K)
91 Legacy (FWD, 5spd, 182K)
StNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Will2
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Brake Problem - 96 Subaru Legacy Outback 4-W/D

Sounds like the self adjusters weren't reinstalled correctly or are defective. It's also possible that the new pads weren't seated correctly or there's warpage some were.
Will2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
himie298
AF Newbie

Re: Brake Problem - 96 Subaru Legacy Outback 4-W/D

Did you check the pistons in your calipers? It sounds like they are sticking and you may need to rebuild them. If they stick they and send false signal to your ABS. Before you rebuild them check the price of rebuilds. It may be easier and cheaper in the long run. Did you bleed the brake fluid? Yes it does need to be changed every few years It collects moisture.
himie298 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Legacy / Liberty / Baja