Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
buickultra2000
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2000 PA Power Steering Fluid Check

Today I went to check the power steering fluid level since I'm starting to hear power steering pump type noises. To my surprise, I found that the location of the power steering pump cap is in such a location that I absolutely cannot reach it.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, how did you manage to reach the pump cap without removing all kinds of hoses?

Thank you.
buickultra2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 PA Power Steering Fluid Check

You can check the power steering level after a few cuss words towards the engineers who thought up this horrible place for the power steering unit.

Best thing to do is with a cold engine you can reach down with your left hand on the side of the engine and reach under the belts and hoses and twist the cap off. Its not easy. Then carefully pull the cap with dipstick up towards you and then check the level of fluid on the stick. As I said be care full about how you bring the cap up towards you because if you bump your hand the cap is going fall down along the firewall or someplace else. The reason I said cold engine is because a hot engine can burn you. Its also hard to replace the cap but do it in reverse order.

Now if you need more fluid some people use a turkey baster to fill the reservoir. Their are other products at auto parts stores you can buy to fill the reservoir.

Good luck.
012620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
buickultra2000
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 PA Power Steering Fluid Check

Thank you for your response. At least now I feel that I have not overlooked some easy solution.

Yesterday I tried different ways to get my hand in there and managed to cut myself. I assure you I cussed plenty at that point.

Anyone who designed this is not worthy of the title engineer. More appropriate would be Incompetent or Moron or both.

I have my car serviced at a Buick dealership where they CLAIM they check all fluids each time. Yet I noticed yesterday that the power steering cap is covered with oil/dirt. During my last visit I had a chance to talk to the mechanic servicing my car. He acknowledged that they do not check the Supercharger fluid. Time to find an honest mechanic rather than depend on Mr. Goodwrench at inflated prices.
buickultra2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
power , steering , ultra
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue