Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Other Motorsports
Other Motorsports DTM, BTCC, V8 Supercars, etc.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #16
Creotone
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Creotone Send a message via Yahoo to Creotone
Re: Supermodifieds: The World's Fastest Short Track Machines

Yes, the Booth car is fast. I misquoted the qualifying time, it was only 16.642. Hope you can forgive me. As for the Hawksby car, it is almost as fast as Booth's car with Hawksby at the wheel. While he can build cars, I have not been overly impressed with his driving prowess. He was able to pull 17.00 in the last feature race as Oswego. Had the feature wrapped up until he bent a panhard bar brushing turn four and almost wadded it up in one. Even with the bent panhard bar he was able to turn 18's. If someone who really drove got in the car, it could turn 16's easy. Not to mention it is a more colorful car than Booth's.

I heard one of the Holbrook cars actually turned a sub-17 lap in a practice, but did not see it. Holbrook's cars are built by Mike Muldoon. His cars are ok, but the design is starting to show its age.

As for Ordway. You are right, he definitely was made for the car. He has owned the $10,000.00 to win "Mr. Supermodified" race up at Oswego the past two years. He would have destroyed the Classic field if he did not have electrical problems.

However, I have heard that Hawksby is going to be building more cars and is definitely building one for Greg Furlong. Be interesting to see how Ordway does when his car is not the fastest anymore.

As for Oswego guys not traveling, I cannot help you there. I think the cost of racing is starting to catch up with them. I have a friend who had a car up there and had Joe Gosek driving for him. It was nice to see him get some wins this year, but he claims he is selling due to cost.

The season was great this year, but I hope they do something to keep the track alive and well. Only time with tell if the new owners can bring back the track's prestige.
Creotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #17
<<Jake>>
AF Newbie

What a great series of posts!

Nice to see supers getting a little attention, they deserve it.
Layla's Keeper... the depth of information you provided is fantastic. I have been going to Oswego for as long as I can remember and have been hooked on the supers since I was a little kid. My favorite back then was the white Purdy deuce driven by Ronnie Lux and then Bentley Warren.

My interest is such that I have a website full of images of supermodifieds. It's sole purpose is to share some of the history at Oswego and some of the other tracks in my area.

please visit: http://www.jakessite.com/

There also is a section devoted to Jim Shampine... I feel I must mention that the #89 super pictured earlier was not the car that Jim was driving when he was fatally injured. He had timed in third fastest with that car and I am convinced he would have won had he not died the on the Saturday evening before the Classic at tha wheel of a pavement modified. The Booth/Shampine machine did not start the Classic that Sunday, rather, the third slot was left vacant. As pre-arranged, winner Doug Heveron and the rest of the field filed quietly into the pits after 199 laps of the 200 lap race and the checkers came down on an empty track with the announcer declaring Jim Shampine as the 1982 Oswego Classic champion...
I was there and I can tell you I don't think there was a dry eye in the house.

Anyway, long live Supermodifieds!
<<Jake>>
http://www.jakessite.com/

offset sketch (by Jake)
<<Jake>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #18
joemeadejr
AF Newbie

isma mods are insane i make a point of seeing them every year at seekonk
joemeadejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 AM   #19
robr959
AF Newbie

Does this work?
robr959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #20
robr959
AF Newbie

Sorry guys, posted a long response, and it never made it to the thread. Trying again here.
Great thread on the supers. They are the baddest, fastest, closest open wheel racers on the planet, period. And great to see such kind words for Jimmy Shampine.
I was lucky enough to be involved in two supers in the late 70's--Jerry Buskey's #60, and Arnold Lovine's ex-Andretti/Bodine # 99 rear-engine car, the latter which I never got to run due to the rear-engine ban in the supers.
I remember in early April 1978, when Jimmy rented Fulton Speedway to test his radical offset, and get Doug Heveron's feet wet in his old wedge (which Heveron had purchased), he invited us down to Fulton to give the #60 it's first hot laps even before it had paint. Jimmy wound up spending considerable time with us (along with Steve Gioia Sr.), foregoing his own testing and development, troubleshooting the 60 because it refused to fire up---even though we had it running in our shop the previous night. He and Gioia helped us to determine that a Hillborn in-line injection pill kept turning sideways, preventing methanol from flowing.
When I heard of Jim's death down in Jersey, I couldn't believe it. It just didn't seem possible, and it took my legs away. The sport had lost a top-shelf man, a truly great competitor, and it's best ambassador in one swift moment.
I can say without hesitation, that Jim's radical offset, with no changes except new tires, would still be competitive today, some 21 years later. That's how GOOD that car was. When he unveiled the radical offset, it changed the face of this class overnite, but Jim was never one to rest on his laurels. With the radical offset at it's peak, dominating, and with many more races yet to win, Jimmy built his masterpiece rear-engined beast. From the first lap it turned, the rear-engine car made the most dominant supermodified car ever built obsolete. It left the field scratching their heads in a combination of awe, respect, and in a "what the hell do we do NOW?" funk.
Without question, had Jimmy been allowed to fully develop the rear-engine car, we would have seen that car, IN 1980, turn today's ISMA lap times WITHOUT EVEN HAVING TO RUN A WING. This machine was in another realm, completely.
When Warren Coniam drove this car in the 79 Classic, I witnessed the most incredible example of out-classing the competition that I have ever seen. He could pass multiple cars at will anywhere on the track, and simply devoured the field after going at least a lap down for pitting under green. Inside, outside, passing one, two, or three--it just didn't matter. And Jimmy--always pulling for others, cheering Coniam on from the Turn 1 inside wall, is a picture forever in my memory. If not for an oil tank failure and resulting black flag, he would have won, and lapped the field easily.
In closing, I can honestly say that the supermodified division as a whole has suffered both financially and creatively, as a result of Jim's passing. The supermodified division lost a true genius. He has left a hole in the sport that will never be filled again. Peace be with you, Jim.

Rob Reilly
robr959 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Other Motorsports