Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

What's up with this plan?

Ford Is Killing Off All But 2 Car Models

http://www.newser.com/story/258419/f...ar-models.html
Old 04-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: What's up with this plan?

My opinion is people are tired of ugly cars. Ford is seeing a dip in car sales because they dont know how to make a good looking car. Same is true for GM where they cut a bunch of jobs at Lordstown where they produce the Cruze.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Ford man since the day I was born, but other than a Mustang (which they are still going to make) there hasn't been a car I would buy in years. I'll probably get a new Expedition to replace the old one next.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Mikelangeloford
AF Newbie

Ford isn't selling cars for the same reason as Chrysler. Overpriced and under engineered trash. Go to any Pick and Pull the vast majority of their cars are Ford, Dodge, Chrysler and Chevy cars and trucks that didn't last 10 years on the road. People are not going into debt for 7 years on a car that lasts 5. No one is going to miss an underpowered mess with cheap material and cheap seats that cost $25,000. Car companies need to up their game and produce quality, easy to maintain, affordable cars.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
cewhite3
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelangeloford View Post
Ford isn't selling cars for the same reason as Chrysler. Overpriced and under engineered trash. Go to any Pick and Pull the vast majority of their cars are Ford, Dodge, Chrysler and Chevy cars and trucks that didn't last 10 years on the road. People are not going into debt for 7 years on a car that lasts 5. No one is going to miss an underpowered mess with cheap material and cheap seats that cost $25,000. Car companies need to up their game and produce quality, easy to maintain, affordable cars.
It seems to me that Ford actually sells quite a few cars. Here is a list of CAR sales for the top ten brands through March of 2018:

Toyota 211,002
Nissan 166,190
Honda 158,383
Chevrolet 125,188
Ford 122,030
Hyundai 85,521
Kia 82,309
Volkwagon 44,538
Dodge 39,175
Chrysler 13,651

(since Hyundai and Kia are the same company, I suppose you could say "they" are number 2 behind Toyota, but then I'd need to add Lexus to Toyota, Acura to Honda and Infinity to Nissan, Buick and Cadillac to Chevrolet, Lincoln to Ford, Audi to Volkswagon and Chrysler to Dodge to get a "manufacturer list).

Considering Ford hasn't refreshed any of their car lines in several years they seem to be doing OK. Personally I think Ford is making a huge mistake.
cewhite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

My take it this... I don't see the practical value in owning an SUV or Crossover. I looked at the Explorer before I purchased my Windstar, but since it only carried five people AND didn't even hold one full sheet of plywood, plus the higher operating costs (due to fuel consumption and tire size, etc.), I saw no value for me to own one. I haven't looked that much at the Crossovers, but the same logic seems to apply.

I don't see much value in a pickup truck (for me) because I only occasionally need the ability to carry the payload, but more often would like to carry passengers, and they also cost a lot more to operate unless you purchase a small truck.

Add to all this that my experience with purchasing new vehicles from the dealership has not been great, with several defects (not long term wear) in the vehicles that I've purchased. The only reason I've remained a customer is that I've found that once _I_ fix the problems, the vehicles have been a good value.

I've decided that my needs are best served by a sedan, a wagon, or a minivan. Since Ford will not be making those products, I will most likely not purchase another (new) Ford unless something changes.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
dbegley
AF Newbie

I was talking to my Ford Sales guy when I purchased my 17 Mustang GT and asked him that question. What is up with Ford making this decision. He said that Ford is not selling enough of those cars to justify being in that business. He added that the Toyota Camry is the best selling car in the US and they don't also don't make enough profit on the sales of that line to justify staying in it. People are buying SUV's and trucks. You do know the BEST selling vehicle in the world is the Ford F-150.
dbegley is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > General Discussion