Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Anavel
AF Newbie

TH350 or Powerglide?

Well as the title suggest, which one is better? What makes it better then the other transmission?
Anavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
AlmostStock
AF Enthusiast

Re: TH350 or Powerglide?

Neither one is better, both have advantages and disadvantages. The 350 has a lower first gear and will produce less of a drop in engine rpm's at each shift. But the PG is lighter and "eats" less HP to turn, which somewhat makes up for this. When set up with high stall torque converters and low rear gears PG's have proven to be very effective on the dragstrip for years. So effective in fact that adaptors are available to mate the PG to other make engines besides GM. The PG also works best in a light weight car, which the Nova is. (especially the early ones)

With a heavier car and/or a milder engine, the 350 would be slightly quicker and more fun in my opinion. But if you set up a PG as stated above with a high revving engine you will not be disappointed. Plus smoking other cars and then explaining you only have a 2 speed is pretty cool in my book.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Anavel
AF Newbie

Interesting, thanks for the info.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396
I always liked the PG for the simplicity and how nice they worked. In the non-modified form, they don't stand up well to abuse for too long. For all around driving probably the TH350 is better these days.

Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
ortamenx
AF Newbie

Hydraglide sucks

Don't get a hydra no matter what any one tells you. I have went through three in five years. The first one went a year then I lost third, and then reverse, rebuilt it. Three months later went out again, got another transmission two years same thing with a rebuild, got a third one from the factory with in three years had a rebuild in there for third/reverse band, went out again got a pg, no probs with it yet three years under it.
ortamenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Anavel
AF Newbie

I see, I have a 73 Nova with a TH350 in it and I acquired a PG from a 69 Nova and I've been planning on replacing the 350 with the PG. Once again thanks for the info.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
64novass
AF Newbie

Before you are dissapointed with the powerglide I would keep the TH350. Unless you have about a 1000 horsepower the powerglide will not work as good. My 64 nova ss ran a 10.1 seconds @ 68mph in the 1/8 mile (pretty slow!!!). Then I blew the powerglide up and swapped in the TH350. My times are now 9.0 seconds @ 77-78mph in the 1/8. I would go with the TH350.
64novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
NOVA71
AF Regular

Personally, I'd stick with the TH350. They are relatively tough and dependable, and are pretty cheap to rebuild. Also, PG's and related parts are hard to come by nowadays. TH350 cores and parts are still relatively plentiful. I've always considered the TH350 the next best thing to a TH400.

I run a TH350 in my Nova and have had no problems since I had it (9 years now). Also my a few of my buddies run TH350's in their big block cars pushing 500+ HP and have had no problems as of yet, and they frequently drag race their cars.

Current Rides:
1971 Nova
2004 Tracker
2013 Sonic

Past Rides:
2007 G5
1984 Firebird
2000 Jimmy
1994 Jimmy
1990 Tracker
1985 Jimmy
NOVA71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:40 PM   #9
sleepernova
AF Newbie

This has been an old age dispute. 2 or 3 speeds. Well I have a 1968 Chevy 2 Nova with a 250/Powerglide combo, and the thing is awesome to drive. The Powerglide shifts smoothly. What do you want your car to do?

If you pick the powerglide, its a great transmission, but for instance I can go 90mph in first gear. Its probably the best for burnouts too. Although with the proper torque convertor, a powerglide can be a good racing transmission.

If you pick the TH350, the parts for them are a lot cheaper, easier to come by, and overall in a drag race, the TH350 will probably outrun the powerglide, because of its extra gear.

Although, both transmissions have the final gear of 1:1 so whatever transmission you pick, you will run the same RPM on the highway.

If I had the choice to order my car with a powerglide or TH350, I'd pick the TH350 because, I'd have a lot better acceleration.

Mind you, I'm swapping out the Powerglide for a TH2004R which is a 4 speed Auto Overdrive, I'll be running either 4.56 or 4.88 gears with my 26inch tall tire, and go along at around 2500-3000RPM @ 60mph.

And believe me with the 4 Speed Auto, and 4.56 or 4.88 gearing, It'll be very hard for people to beat me...HAHAHAHA

Peace
sleepernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:36 AM   #10
Isi Ray
AF Newbie

Im an avid bracket racer and my take is, the 2spd powerglide will be more consistant because of less shifting vs the th350 3spd. My real concern is... will the housing holding together? I am debating which trans to use I have both set up to race with trans brakes. My bud Gary told me that the th350 will 60ft better because of gearing? My Vega tube chasis had a pg in it and ran 10:80s with a sbc 355 now I am installing a sbc 406 all race venolia pistons, sgi rotating forged, eq 235cc heads 2.08-1.60, Isky cam and valvetrain...should move pretty good for 2011
Isi Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Ray,

Welcome to the forums! Please note the date of the thread you "re-opened". It's 5 years old. You may have better response by opening a "new" thread.

If you car is under 3,000 lbs., it is genrally accepted, that with a higher revving engine like a 355 or 377, the 'glide is a better choice. For 1/8 mile cars with stiff gearing, also, 'glide.

For a heavier car or a lower revving engine (under 7,500 like the 400SB), TH350 would have an advantage, because of the gearing you "heard" about. 1st gear is much "deeper", providing the needed torque multiplication on "launch".

A "stock" PowerGlide is okay, not GREAT. It can be "beefed up". The case is generally fine. The internals need to be upgraded if you're going to use big HP or a power "adder" (nitrous, etc.).

Same thing for TH350.

If this is to be a SERIOUS race effort (attacking the points, going as quick as possible, etc.), due to the added torque output of the 400, I would recommend TH400 over ALL the others. Far tougher than any other auto (stockish), and good gearing, TH400 has another advantage not usually understood. When most auto transmissions "shift", one portion is "applied" and another "released". This takes 2 separate "events" in the trans. With TH400, nothing ever has to be "released" once it's in 1st. It simply "applies", "applies". You can demonstrate that to yourself next time you're at the track. Find a car with a TH350. Find another with TH400. Pay close attention to them as they shift "down track". There will be a slight rasing of engine speed when the TH350 shifts. When the TH400 shifts, the engine will simply "change pitch". And don't worry about the parasitic loss (uses more power to "drive" it than TH350). It's true, but not as pronounced as the mythology, and with a 400SB, you have much more torque than smaller-cube small blocks. Those guys snag torque ANYWHERE they can find it, as that's the main "weakness" of small blocks, low-end torque production while still making power 'up high". Not the case with the 400...l

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova