Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Beretta
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
JDCowboy
AF Newbie

2.3L Engine Miss...

I was driving my trusty steed home last night, 1990 Chevy Beretta, with the 2.3L HO. This car has just under 200k. It was purring perfectly, until I pulled up to a stop, and when I went to accelerate the motor sputtered a bit and lacked power, suddenly there was a pop of sorts and it took off at normal. The next stop it did the same thing only this time it never came back. The car has a horrible miss now. Any one have a similar problem or know what might have caused this?
Thanks
Tex
JDCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
JDCowboy
AF Newbie

Re: 2.3L Engine Miss...

I am responding to my own thread so the next guy can see my solution. My car was clearly down a cylinder, not 2 cylinders as is common. The first thing I did was run a compression check to make sure it was not terminal. The compression proved to be just fine. Next I tried to determine if it was fuel or electric. Because of the ease, I tested for spark first. This is where I found that the #1 cylinder was not firing. The coil housing is a common problem, so I tested this for continuity. It showed it was working fine. We changed the position of the coils. Almost everyone out there is saying that a bad coil pack will cause 2 cylinders to misfire. I am here to tell you that is not the case. After changing the coil packs the misfire moved to the #3 cylinder. Replaced a coil pack for 36 bucks and she purrs like a kitten once again. Very inportant to note that there is misinfromation being spread abroad about the coil packs not causing just 1 cylinder to misfire. If you dont believe me send me $20 bucks I have a coil pack I will send you to install on your car. lol....
Tex
JDCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
autoengines
AF Newbie

Re: 2.3L Engine Miss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCowboy View Post
I am responding to my own thread so the next guy can see my solution. My car was clearly down a cylinder, not 2 cylinders as is common. The first thing I did was run a compression check to make sure it was not terminal. The compression proved to be just fine. Next I tried to determine if it was fuel or electric. Because of the ease, I tested for spark first. This is where I found that the #1 cylinder was not firing. The coil housing is a common problem, so I tested this for continuity. It showed it was working fine. We changed the position of the coils. Almost everyone out there is saying that a bad coil pack will cause 2 cylinders to misfire. I am here to tell you that is not the case. After changing the coil packs the misfire moved to the #3 cylinder. Replaced a coil pack for 36 bucks and she purrs like a kitten once again. Very inportant to note that there is misinfromation being spread abroad about the coil packs not causing just 1 cylinder to misfire. If you dont believe me send me $20 bucks I have a coil pack I will send you to install on your car. lol....
Tex
Engine being the most important part of an automobile, it should be checked thoroughly before buying or after repairing. You should check the engine when you start it or put it off. Following are few of the things that you should check when the engine is ON and off respectively…
Following points to inspected while the engine is ON

· Check for all lights for operation
· Check for engine air leaks
· Check for exhaust leaks
· Inspect engine compartment
· Inspect APADS operation
· Check pigtail operation with test tool
· Listen to engine and its vibrations

Following Points to inspected while the engine is OFF
· Turn OFF the engine
· Inspect for reflectors
· Inspect for fire extinguisher
If the engine is supporting to the above points, then it is working properly..

autoengines is offline   Reply With Quote