Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
superkia
AF Newbie

86 Nova occasional idle issue

I bought a 1986 Nova that has been sitting in a garage for around 20 years, the car only has 13k original miles. The owner dumped money into it but could never find the cause to their problem and after tearing everything apart we found that the clamps on the fuel lines were original and loose. After replacing the clamps, the car ran good.

Now the only issue I have with this car is that it stumbles like it wants to cut off when at stop signs and such but id only happens every once in a while. The car also will idle very high at times but with no tachometer I cant tell you how high.

The carburetor was cleaned out due to the black gunk from sitting but we still get the occasional stumble in drive at a stop or a high idle every once in a while. From searching the internet, I have only come to the conclusion that there is a small vacuum leak somewhere???

Anyone ever dealt with this proble and have any ideas on where I should start. When the car is driving it runs great, its just the stumble at stop and the high idle on occasion. The car smell of gas so I assume it it running rich but I am not mechanically inclined so it could be anything.

Any input would be appreciated,

Rich

FOR SOME REASON i CANNOT REPLY TO YOU BUT THANKS FOR THE INFO, I REALLY CANT FIND ANY INFORMATION ON THIS CAR ONLINE.

Last edited by superkia; 10-11-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Cant reply
superkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: 86 Nova occasional idle issue

You would likely get a better response to your question if posted in the " Corolla " section of the " Toyota " forum here on AF . The 1986 Nova was actually a Corolla in disguise , sharing all the mechanical pieces with the Corolla . The Nova body was somewhat different but the " kinship " between the two was obvious !
Old 10-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
TommySS
AF Regular

I've owned an 87 Nova, and am still the original owner of an 88 Nova (320k+ miles and still on the original drivetrain (including the clutch). I would install a carb rebuild kit first, and then (if no improvement) start replacing each of the many rubber hoses.

A stumble as you describe sounds like a bad accelerator pump.
TommySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
superkia
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have been having problems finding any information at all on this car even with the all mighty internet. I ordered a used haynes manual just so I could find out some basic information like oil capacity, fuel tank size etc. but it has yet to arrive.

From what I have found, once I can fix this issue, the car should last me a ton of miles considering the low mileage and great shape its in.
superkia is offline   Reply With Quote