Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 01:55 PM   #1
GPrince
AF Newbie

fuel economy

I am building a 283 or 302 Chevy for economy. in a Camaro
some have told me to go with the 302.
any how any ideas on heads, ignition, other parts, I would like a short explanation why you would use that part. I was thinking about a 4 valve head or with centraly located spark plug, I want to stick with the block. but any thing else goes. more of an experment than any thing else.

thanks
GPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 01:04 AM   #2
esmartuek
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to esmartuek Send a message via AIM to esmartuek Send a message via MSN to esmartuek Send a message via Yahoo to esmartuek
Smile

Here's the info I have:
Use a direct ignition system (no distributer) they produce more spark and are more efficient. Fireball is a popular name in conversion kits for this.
Ceramic coated piston rings. I cannot think of a better way to improve economy... these rings are known to improve economy by 30%... but they take around 5000-10000 miles to break in because of the very low friction properties. I have no idea about where to get them... although if anyone knows of a place to get them, I'd be more than happy to hear.

Edelbrock is known for making extrememly efficient parts. Goto www.edelbrock.com and you can get a free catalog...

What year camaro are you making this for?

More to come when I'm in a better thinking mode.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:12 AM   #3
esmartuek
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to esmartuek Send a message via AIM to esmartuek Send a message via MSN to esmartuek Send a message via Yahoo to esmartuek
Smile

Here's the info I have:
Use a direct ignition system (no distributer) they produce more spark and are more efficient. Fireball is a popular name in conversion kits for this.
Ceramic coated piston rings. I cannot think of a better way to improve economy... these rings are known to improve economy by 30%... but they take around 5000-10000 miles to break in because of the very low friction properties. I have no idea about where to get them... although if anyone knows of a place to get them, I'd be more than happy to hear.

Edelbrock is known for making extrememly efficient parts. Goto www.edelbrock.com and you can get a free catalog...

What year camaro are you making this for?

More to come when I'm in a better thinking mode.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:59 AM   #4
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

If you're doing a full rebuild, the best way to get great gas mileage is to use roller rockers, a good dual plane intake, lightweight pistons, good midrange exhaust headers, a water injection unit, and a high energy ignition.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 09:40 AM   #5
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
Some other things that will help improve efficiency:

* high compression ratio
* conservative cams
* windage tray (or dry sump system)
Old 06-11-2002, 11:38 AM   #6
GPrince
AF Newbie

good ideas

Ceramic coated rings, I never heard of them but It makes sense. rings gobble up lots of power. I wonder if you could have them coated. I will check. I have been wanting a digital ignition for it. I am having a special cam ground. about 9.90 is the most compresion I can manage without milling the block or heads. 015 is minimum clearance for the KB pistons I want to use. 10.03 is most if I don't want to go above block. but thats enough.
I am using a performer intake. I have been wondering about a dry sump.
water injection sounds like a good idea also.

I like your ideas so far. keep them coming

whats your favorite synthetic oil?

it's a 77 with 72 body parts

I would feel kinda bad about butchering a true 72.

I figure I can gain about 5% with a richmond 4+1 ultra low first trani and 2.73 gears.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:29 PM   #7
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

The 2.73 pumpkin is a good gas mileage rear end. I wouldn't concern myself too much with the rings. Perfect Circle makes a gapless ring that has been proven to improve fuel economy. I do not use synthetic oil because it costs more than dinosaur. The costs of synthetic are not outweighed by improved gas mileage. Just keep in mind that you won't get outstanding mileage if you don't keep your foot off the floor when you are driving this car. Other points of consideration are vehicle weight, tires, and aerodynamics. I'd put the car on a serious diet and make sure the suspension is in good shape with good, high mileage tires.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 02:00 PM   #8
esmartuek
AF Newbie

So perfect circle still exists? (my father used that company around 30 years ago)
Are they still Phoenix based? I'll have to ask my relatives down there to get me some info on the company, I suppose.

I was just looking through my edelbrock catalog last night (marking all the parts I'm planning on purchasing) and came across a story about a supped up 72 that got 18mpg using a select few edelbrock parts... imagine doing that and adding everything else mentioned.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:24 AM   #9
Gasoline Fumes
AF Regular

Some economy/mileage links

Old 06-13-2002, 10:50 AM   #10
GPrince
AF Newbie

your hydrogen sorce

try this link
open the page.
and click on powerball.
it sounds like a scratch ticket. but is pellets tha make H2 from water.

http://www.powerball.net/

Last edited by GPrince; 06-13-2002 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:34 PM   #11
GPrince
AF Newbie

I have read a bit about crackers

AlSio2 is the cracker that oil companys us to make lighter HC from heavyer ones.
I would like to expeement withit on this car as well
Old 03-08-2004, 03:28 PM   #12
petromicrochip
AF Newbie

You can save on average 5 miles per gallon of gas with this new Micro-chip. It will be available March 15th. Doesn't sound like alot of miles...but mutiply how many gallons in your fuel tank by 5. I have saved 5.6 miles per gallon on my Subaru. I have a 15.9 gallon tank, giving me a tad over 89 extra miles per tank.

If you use a tank of gas every 2 weeks, you would save 2,314 miles a year...A tank a week, you would save 4,628 miles. Not only would you save gas, it also increases horsepower, and lowers NOX by 1/2.

Gasoline prices have been in the news lately. We are looking at them continuing to rise, and they are even speaking of shortages.

If you are interested in knowing more about the Micro-Chip, please e-mail me at etweaw@yahoo.com

This chip will work on all gasoline and diesel engines.

“I just failed my emission test, so I ordered a chip and installed it. How long does it take before the chip starts to work?”

The Petro Micro-Chip starts reconditioning petroleum instantly. We recommend you wait about 24 hours before having the vehicle tested again. Plus you need to drive about 75-150 miles so that plenty of the gas has had time to circulate through the engine. The chip works on all petroleum, both gasoline and diesel.
petromicrochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:59 AM   #13
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Re: fuel economy

Coated ring improve fuel ecoenomy by 30%! How should I put it; NO WAY IN HELL. If you remove all friction in the engine and also remove the water pump, servo pump, oil pump and so on we will have an fuel ecoenomy increase of 30%.

Start with a high compression ratio, a cylinder head with a fast combustion (lika an aluminum 4 valve head with center placed spark plugs), fuel injection and try make it possible to run the engine with an ignition timing which is quite "advanced".

Low friction synthetic oil is also improving fuel economy.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:11 PM   #14
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
Re: Re: fuel economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabJohan
Coated ring improve fuel ecoenomy by 30%! How should I put it; NO WAY IN HELL. If you remove all friction in the engine and also remove the water pump, servo pump, oil pump and so on we will have an fuel ecoenomy increase of 30%.
You're right, but sometimes it just isn't worth it to try and straighten people out... Heck, a few weeks ago this site was hosting ads for a device that "captures stray electrical current and refocuses it into the engine to improve power output."

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical