Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 04:13 PM   #1
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
DETROIT AUTO SHOW: Nissan unveils a redesigned Quest and Maxima

Automotive News / January 06, 2003

When Carlos Ghosn took charge of Nissan Motor Co. in 1999, he vowed that every vehicle in the Nissan Division lineup would be redesigned by the end of 2004.

Next on the list will be the 2004 Maxima sedan and 2004 Quest minivan.

The sixth-generation Maxima will, for the first time, share a platform with the Altima. The Maxima will feature such touches as a standard "Skyview" roof of a long glass panel inserted into the sheet metal, as well as an optional four-seat layout, to separate it from the competition.

The Maxima will keep its 3.5-liter V-6, but horsepower will be boosted from 225 to more than 260; torque will increase from the current 246 pounds-feet at 4,400 rpms to more than 250.

A four-speed automatic transmission is standard, while sport-minded consumers can choose from an optional five-speed automatic or six-speed stick. Traction control and limited-slip devices are optional.

New suspension

In shifting to the Altima platform, the Maxima will lose its beam-axle rear suspension and adopt an independent multilink design. Nissan says the new platform also will be 40 percent more rigid than its predecessor.

The vehicle was designed at Nissan's studio in Atsugi, Japan. For the first time, the Maxima will be built in the United States, on the same assembly line as the Altima in Smyrna, Tenn. It will go on sale in March.

The next Maxima and the Quest were to be unveiled Sunday, Jan. 5, at the Detroit auto show.

The Quest returns to Nissan's lineup after a one-year layoff. The previous generation - which was engineered by Nissan but assembled by Ford Motor Co. and also sold as the Mercury Villager - competed with smaller minivans. The new Quest will chase after the Honda Odyssey and 2004 Toyota Sienna, with a much longer wheelbase, a wider track and the widest-opening sliding doors in its class.

It also claims the largest interior volume of any front-drive minivan. It, too, will be based on the Altima-Maxima platform.

Features include second-and third-row seats that fold flat and the "Skyview" roof glass system with five panels. There also will be a 10-speaker stereo and a DVD entertainment system.

Sharing a V-6

The Quest shares the 3.5-liter V-6 with the Altima and Maxima, though it has been redesigned for more torque and less horsepower. The standard transmission will be a four-speed automatic; a five-speed manual will be available.

In a bold design stroke, the shift lever will be mounted on the instrument panel as part of an oval pod of sound, and heating and cooling controls. The speedometer and other gauges will be mounted above the pod at the center of the instrument panel.

The vehicle will be able to tow 3,500 pounds, even with a four-wheel independent suspension.

The Quest will be built at Nissan's new plant in Canton, Miss., and go on sale in the summer.
igor@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:58 PM   #2
NSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to NSX Send a message via AIM to NSX Send a message via MSN to NSX Send a message via Yahoo to NSX
Ah...gone are the days of the hard-working RB and SR series...

I still miss them

NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:08 PM   #3
Suislide
AF Fanatic

that's about the biggest wrong Ghosn did. killing the SR, RB, and VG. i admit he's done wonders for the company financially, but he's not a true car enthusiast, so he's killing all of these incredible performance engines and sticking N/A V6's in all of the performance cars now! although i admit the Z33 and G35 are awesome vehicles, it's not right! and he also killed one of Nissan's most popular (if not THE most popular) platform, the Silvia. from what i've heard, there will be no S16. deeply saddens me. what we need is Ghosn to run the company, but have a car nut always at his side to make sure he's doing right in that department.

btw, IMO the nose of that Maxima is fugly.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:22 PM   #4
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Here is how I look at this -

since Ghosn took over, Nissan has totally turned around is making a profit now.
The reason Ghosn took a lot of the engines out of production is to cut on costs. I definately see him revive Nissan fully (by spending much more money on development of new engines and platforms) once Nissan is completely stable. I think he is doing the right thing for now, even though I do agree that I miss the variety that Nissan used to have.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:16 AM   #5
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Ghosn is a man of his word- because since 1999 he Almera, Micra, Primera, Skyline, The whole infiniti range, Altima and Sentra (Off the top of my head) have all had redesigns- the 350Z has been launched and the Maxima and Quest. Although I guess he wasn't talking about the SUV's or light commercials- as the Pathfinder, Patrol and Frontier soldier on with a facelift. Renault has also been good to Nissan- who are now actually turning in profits.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 08:28 PM   #6
SledgehammerVette
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SledgehammerVette Send a message via Yahoo to SledgehammerVette
I think they will slowly return. The Z is back, and the Maxima gets its Independent Rear Suspension back as well. Nissan has brought back the Sentra SE-R while not as powerful as the competition it's still good too see. The Skyline VTR is coming over and in the future I think will see the Silvia (240SX) back in the states. It's just a matter of time, Nissan was about to fall through like Ford is now.

4DRSpeed.com Is Here!
SledgehammerVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 09:57 PM   #7
Hudson
Old Mod

...except for the fact that the Silvia's out of production.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote