Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
poetrydiva
AF Newbie

Question Oil Pressure Gauge drops to "0"...

I have a 1991 Chevy Cavalier RS 2.2L L4. I just recently had the head and everything associated replaced. I just had the oil and filter changed. Starting yesterday, whenever I come to a stop, the oil pressure guage drops to 0 and then moves back to the 1/4 mark when I apply the accelerator.

Any idea what could be going on? I don't want to take it to a mechanic until I have some idea what's going on. I know that being a woman, a lot of times mechanics assume that I know absolutely nothing. Many things I can figure out, but I'm just stumped on this one.

Karla
poetrydiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
|WYG|SS
AF Regular

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge drops to "0"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetrydiva
I have a 1991 Chevy Cavalier RS 2.2L L4. I just recently had the head and everything associated replaced. I just had the oil and filter changed. Starting yesterday, whenever I come to a stop, the oil pressure guage drops to 0 and then moves back to the 1/4 mark when I apply the accelerator.

Any idea what could be going on? I don't want to take it to a mechanic until I have some idea what's going on. I know that being a woman, a lot of times mechanics assume that I know absolutely nothing. Many things I can figure out, but I'm just stumped on this one.

Karla

does the car go into a low idle? casue its not getting enough power to get the oil pump to pump the oil around so it will drom to "0"
|WYG|SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
poetrydiva
AF Newbie

Question Re: Oil Pressure Gauge drops to "0"...

No, it doesn't drop into a low idle. It used to, but after we got the head fixed, it stopped idling rough or dropping into a low idle. I used to turn on the A/C and that used to drop the idle way down, but it doesn't do that anymore. I'm totally stumped. The car is running better than it has since I've had it.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
Ed_in_Akron
AF Newbie

Whatever you do, get that confirmed! Low oil pressure is very bad for your engine! You can spin a bearing very quick, causing your engine to seize up. Then you might have to replace the crankshaft, maybe you will have to have your rods replaced or machined as well. Spend a few bucks now, save alot of bucks later! The mechanic just removes your sending unit, puts his in and confirms the pressure. A new sending unit only cost about $25, mechanic may charge about $50.00 for labor. If your mechanic finds the pressure to be low, then possible causes are...
1.) Clogged oil pick up screen
2.) Bad oil pump
3.) Worn engine bearings
or
4.) Bad sending unit.

If you can replace these items yourself, you'll save lots of cash in labor. Cost of these parts are from my neck of the woods.
!.) Oil pick up screen about $15.00, or free if you just pull it and clean it yourself.
2.) Oil pump about $50 or $20 for a rebuild kit. Oil pump rebuilds are easy, just replace two gears, a spring and a little tiny metal marble called a check ball.
3.) oil pan gasket about $25
4.) Engine degreaser about $2 for a big honkin spray can worth of clean!
5.) Oil filter $5 for a good one
6.) 5 quarts of good oil about $15
7.) Engine rod bearings about $10
8.) Main crankshaft bearings about $50
9.) Oil sending unit about $25

Plus tools if you don't have them, just your standard set of metric sockets, rachet, extensions, floor jack, jack stands (get good ones!), hammer, trouble light, pliers, screwdriver set, old clothes to wear, plastic sheets to catch oil drips and...
10.) a good repair manual about $15, or loaned to you for free at your local library! Be sure to keep it clean !
Ed_in_Akron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ

My car does this but it's just cuz the gauge grounds out somewhere along the line. I know the engine is fine, and the gauge reads fine from time to time, so I really don't pay it much attention...well...I don't pay it any attention, actually...lol

I know you have a Cavi...I'm not familiar with these cars and I have heard a ton of bad stuff about them so I don't wanna say it's just your gauge, but do you think this is a possibility? If I were you, I'd check my oil level, make sure the engine isn't smoking, listen for valve noise and just wing it if all that checks out. Honestly, I wouldn't really worry unless the little oil light comes on...THEN you KNOW you're REALLY getting no oil pressure. Just a thought, man. Good luck.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:18 AM   #6
poetrydiva
AF Newbie

Arrow Re: Oil Pressure Gauge drops to "0"...

The engine was all but rebuilt when my grandfather got it for me. The girl who had it before me had run it under the back end of a school bus, so he replaced all of the pistons, bearings, hoses, etc. I am also under the impression that an oil pump is built to last the life of the engine and if the engine is rebuilt a new oil pump is put in.

There is no smoking, sputtering, or anything. The oil was just replaced by my grandfather (a seasoned mechanic). He checked everything. I know it wasn't something that happened as a result of the head having blown and been replaced. If that were the case, it would have had problems from the get-go. It didn't. It worked for over a week without any warning lines. I check the levels every day. I'm in school 30 miles away every day. The levels are always good. There's no leaks. I also check to make sure there's no oil spewing from the tailpipe.

I've had this car for 5 years, and I can honestly say it is running the best it has since I've had it. I don't hear any hissing or anything, and if it were an actual problem, it would peg "0" when driving, and it doesn't. It's only when the RPMs drop when I come to a stop.

Just a run down, in the past two years we've had the following replaced:
fuel filter
spark plugs and wires
battery
coolant recovery tank
radiator cap
tensioner
rack and pinion steering assembly
power steering pump
windshield wiper motor
catalytic converter
fuel pump
pistons
aluminum head twice
EGR valve
EVP sensor
MAP sensor
radiator
headlight/blinker switch
plus some other stuff I probably can't even think of.

It also had the inspection done just 3 months ago and everything was fine.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:21 AM   #7
poetrydiva
AF Newbie

P.S. - all those prices sound cheap unless you live on a $560/mo. SS Disability check . After bills, there's maybe $100 left over.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #8
muff34
AF Enthusiast

What is the rpm at when idling? How`s the oil pressure when you are driving down the highway is it the same as before this started? Do you hear the lifters ticking when it is idling ? . Ask your grandfather if he can take the oil pressure (electrial sensor) sending unit out of engine and put in a mechanical oil pressure gauge to test pressure. If he does not have a mechanical oil pressure gauge ,He probably has a buddy that has one. Good Luck
Old 02-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
Ed_in_Akron
AF Newbie

Post for longlivedthez,
Then just drive it, if itkeeps running then it is fine, if it seizes then you know it wasn't.

An oil pressure gauge is a simple preventative maintenance check. If you check it, and it works. Your engine will last a long, long time provided you understand what it is telling you. If your oil pressure gauge fails too operate or you refuse too check it, or you don't understand what it means. Then you you will be replacing your engine more than twice during the life of your car, just like longlivedthez. Geez longlivedthez, you already know about having to go through all of that aggravation from your own personal experiences with your own engines. Why keep telling others to ignore the pressure gauges, especially when a new sending unit cost $25 and takes about 15 minutes to put in. You claim to rebuild cars, but you flat out refuse to pay attention to your gauge, let alone fix it. Then rely on the idiot light which, is connected to the exact same sensor as your gauge that you know is malfunctioning! And you think your idiot light is going to save you still! Something is very wrong here with you longlivedthez. I would bet your z's don't live so long. Just don't. screw everyone elses cars up with your bad info. Better yet, since you obviously know nothing about these cars, don't post here. What's the matter, did you get laughed out of the other forums?

My fault folks, post was intended for longlivedthez. It is now corrected.
Thank You, Thank You, very much.

Last edited by Ed_in_Akron; 02-07-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #10
Ed_in_Akron
AF Newbie

You stated " if it were an actual problem, it would peg "0" when driving, and it doesn't "

Then it is ok. It is not an actual problem for you, dont worry about it.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #11
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_in_Akron
Then just drive it, if itkeeps running then it is fine, if it seizes then you know it wasn't.
Well noooooooooooo shit...

No offence, but that's just about the single stupidest thing I've ever seen in a post. Can I quote that in my sig?

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #12
Ed_in_Akron
AF Newbie

Believe this longlivethez,

You could never offend me, only yourself.

You stated "
My car does this but it's just cuz the gauge grounds out somewhere along the line. I know the engine is fine, and the gauge reads fine from time to time, so I really don't pay it much attention...well...I don't pay it any attention, actually...lol

I know you have a Cavi...I'm not familiar with these cars and I have heard a ton of bad stuff about them so I don't wanna say it's just your gauge, but do you think this is a possibility? If I were you, I'd check my oil level, make sure the engine isn't smoking, listen for valve noise and just wing it if all that checks out. Honestly, I wouldn't really worry unless the little oil light comes on...THEN you KNOW you're REALLY getting no oil pressure. Just a thought, man. Good luck. "

That really isn't your car in that picture is it, tell the truth. Have you ever actually even worked on a car before, and sucessfully completed the job? Let alone worked on someone elses car, I certainly hope not. Little things like telling someone to ignore a gauge, especially an oil pressure gauge is...well, (using your words here)
" that's just about the single stupidest thing I've ever seen in a post "

Furthermore, longlivedthez maintaining proper top off means nothing to oil pressure. You can ruin an engine with 50 gallons of oil splashing under it just as easy as if it had only 1/2 of a quart under it. If you don't have pressure, you won't have an engine for long.

You stated " listen for valve noise "
Boy, err, ok...lets damage this engine some more. Damaged valve train right after replacing the cylinder head too. YEE HAWWWW, more fun, money and aggravation, just what they wanted to have happen, can it get any better?

You stated " wouldn't really worry unless the little oil light comes on...THEN you KNOW you're REALLY getting no oil pressure. "
First of all, if the sending unit / circuit is bad, just how in the heck is that " little oil light " suppose to " come on "? Furthermore if the " little oil light " did come on, I would really be amazed. longlivedthez, do you know anything about the wiring schematics on this car?

Answer, no of course you don't...
You stated " I'm not familiar with these cars ". Yet you still post here. Why do you do that, especially with your lack of knowledge and experience?

No, you'll never offend me longlivedthez...

Old 02-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

AH HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, man...

Quote:
You could never offend me, only yourself.
lol

Quote:
That really isn't your car in that picture is it, tell the truth. Have you ever actually even worked on a car before, and sucessfully completed the job? [/color] Let alone worked on someone elses car, I certainly hope not. Little things like telling someone to ignore a gauge, especially an oil pressure gauge is...well, (using your words here)
Hell yea it's my car. Where's yours? The engine on the left is also mine as well as the tool box and all that's in it on the right. LOL! Bitch please...what does this have to do with anything? What purpose does this serve except to make me laugh?

Quote:
Furthermore, longlivedthez maintaining proper top off means nothing to oil pressure. You can ruin an engine with 50 gallons of oil splashing under it just as easy as if it had only 1/2 of a quart under it. If you don't have pressure, you won't have an engine for long.
Well sure you can ruin an engine with 50 gallons of oil. But ensuring the engine maintains a proper level of oil is EXCRUCIATINGLY important to how/if an engine maintains oil pressure. Have YOU ever worked on an engine? LOL!!!

Quote:
Boy, err, ok...lets damage this engine some more. Damaged valve train right after replacing the cylinder head too. YEE HAWWWW, more fun, money and aggravation, just what they wanted to have happen, can it get any better?
Boy? I'd bet money I'm older than you are.

What I was referring to is the valve train making a ticking noise which would most likely indicate a low oil level. I'm sure you would have known what I was talking about if you have ever driven a car.

Quote:
First of all, if the sending unit / circuit is bad, just how in the heck is that " little oil light " suppose to " come on "? Furthermore if the " little oil light " did come on, I would really be amazed. longlivedthez, do you know anything about the wiring schematics on this car?[/color]
On what car? The cavi? Nope. Sure don't. But if it differed that damn much, why is it that the guys you take it to to get your oil changed only look at THAT VERY WARNING LIGHT to verify that the engine has some oil pressure?

Quote:
Answer, no of course you don't...
I have no idea who you are (or who you think you are) but you need to watch your mouth, kid.

Quote:
You stated " I'm not familiar with these cars ". Yet you still post here. Why do you do that, especially with your lack of knowledge and experience?
No, I don't know this specific car, but I still wanted to offer my 2 cents to the person making the post...which...oh wait...ISN'T YOU!? So why the hell are you giving me shit? Oh...and I have more experience then you do, I'm sure.

Quote:
No, you'll never offend me longlivedthez...
Obviously you're somewhat aggrivated...you made that whole post just for me!!! And after that little outburst of yours, I'm definately quoting your ass...lol...

Old 02-04-2006, 11:00 PM   #14
Ed_in_Akron
AF Newbie

How amazing, you didn't read the full post did you longlivedthez. What's the matter, did you doze off, old man?

I would take your bet that you are much older than me, that just makes the matter worse, that very statement tells me alot. You would be how old, and you think they check the warning light on a Cavalier with a oil pressure gauge? Please, don't ever touch someone elses car.

Again, if you don't know what you are doing or saying, then why would you do or say it? BTW, I'll give you the credit that it is your car. I see it is the THIRD one, in process of being rebuilt none the less. Why might that be, sounds like your faulty oil sending unit circuit is really saving your engine and paying off big dividends for you. I have sympathy for you though, I know that it takes at least a good fifteen minutes to correct that problem and less than $30. That is alot to ask for, especially from someone who only rebuilds the car. Geez, sorry I didn't realize how tough it was on you. That is what is probably really upsetting you and then making you all itchy and scratchy up there.

BTW, don't go having that heap towed into my service department unless you would like to hear...Driver! Do not tow that heap into my service bay! You could offend me and my customers by doing that, but that is the only way you could offend me!
Old 02-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #15
poetrydiva
AF Newbie

Arrow Re: Oil Pressure Gauge drops to "0"...

All right guys,
Why don't we knock out the p*ssing contest?? What is it with testosterone that makes men act like that?

I have no idea what the RPMs is at when it happens. The 91 Cav. doesn't have an RPM guage. I sure as heck wish it did. However, I can tell you, that the only time it pegs 0 is when I'm at a stand-still, so in that case, there would be 0 RPMs since I'm not moving.

When I'm traveling, the guage is at the level it always has been at when I drive. I was just wondering what might cause it to peg 0 when not moving at all.

To answer another question, the check guages light will come on when it pegs 0 but when I accellerate and the guage goes back up to what it was at before, it goes off.

It's very strange.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis