Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 03:39 PM   #16
beaudeg
AF Newbie

Re: Need tips on starting a car customizing business

Good advice! Hope you are happy taking care of other's rides. It is really nice if and when you do business with people who love and appreciate what yuo have delivered. I envy the younger generation in many ways. This era with technology not only breaking down speed barriers has also created a technology advanced society with readily available information at their fingertips. This Forum is one representation of our ability to share knowledge and ideas. In my early years we had little technology to help us and a handful of technical savvy people locally to gain insight from. Mostly trial and error. I agree with getting a formal education first as this enables many choices in life.

Good luck with your business...pretty nice to be indepedent and select your customers and work.
beaudeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:07 PM   #17
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod&Custom
Sound systems aren't custom work guys, lets start thinking here. it is just fiberglass and subwoofers. This is not custom. Can you lead a car like Bill Heinz?(not sure if the last name is spelled correctly)I doubt it, but you all probably think you are crazy customizers due to your fiberglass filler and 12" sub that you BOUGHT from some RadioShack. It really gets under my skin when these "customizers" can't even recess a taillight, antenna, or even simply french a headlight. They wouldn't know where to start. But they do know how to screw their NOS into their chrome "cold air pipes". Ahhh, what happened to the old hot rod world. Its dying to these 4 bangin bumble bee exhaust cars. Whats worse is that they like it. They wish to have a fast and the furious car, when the real cars are on American Graffiti, yet they have never heard of it. And no, the '50 merc doesn't want a ricer paint job, he likes it to look nice.
Rod&Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:03 PM   #18
beaudeg
AF Newbie

Man You are something! I happen to be 52 and fond of both American Classics and IMports. I have learned to gain respect for the IMports as my son introduced me to his first car a 1992 Prelude SI. And you know what I wish my dad had the same interest in my old cars as I share with my son and his group of friends. I understand all about nostalgia but dont put others down so you can enjoy your experience more. Real cars on American Graffitti? Strange that as things change many of us dont. Change is a fact of life and if we dont change and adapt than we can become extinct as dinosaurs. Enjoy your cars! Allow others the freedom to enjoy their personal taste and form of expression. There is no need to put the taste of others down...nor would this be a creative world if we all had identical taste and ideas. After all why does GM still make Buicks if it was not for trying to fill a market for particular taste/choice. Where is the creativity in that?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:15 PM   #19
beaudeg
AF Newbie

What exactly is a ricer paintjob? Are you even for real ? Your profile states you are the proud owner of a 48 Ford F100! Do you really own a 1948 Ford F100? I thought that the F100 series did not even come out until the early 50s. I will look into this but you sound like you are a waste of my time since reviewing your past replies and posts it is evident you are a bigot when it comes to the automobile industry. Did you know that Toyota outsold Ford for the number 2 spot this year? Maybe it is not just kids buying these imports....just maybe your neighbors driveway or garage is halffilled with imports consisting of vans, suvs, trucks and of course dont forget the daily commuting car is probably a Toyota, Lexus, MB, Nissan, Honda or Mitsubishi.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:50 PM   #20
*CuTlAsS*
AF Newbie

I would like to thank Beaudeg and Ponchonutty for the positive feedback. I can't believe the amount of flak I've received for imposing a simple question. Yes I have a sporty Cutlass Supreme it may not be a Viper or Ferrari but it's still a great car it's not like I'm customizing a Geo Metro so if you don't have anything good to say about the topic then don't waste your time.
*CuTlAsS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:28 AM   #21
beaudeg
AF Newbie

I am a newbie to this Forum but I can not believe the flack received....hold onto what I stated earlier and pursue your dreams/goals. BTW I happen to like Cutlass Supremes I think they make nice rides
Old 04-14-2004, 07:12 AM   #22
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod&Custom
Sound systems aren't custom work guys, lets start thinking here. it is just fiberglass and subwoofers. This is not custom. Can you lead a car like Bill Heinz?(not sure if the last name is spelled correctly)I doubt it, but you all probably think you are crazy customizers due to your fiberglass filler and 12" sub that you BOUGHT from some RadioShack. It really gets under my skin when these "customizers" can't even recess a taillight, antenna, or even simply french a headlight. They wouldn't know where to start. But they do know how to screw their NOS into their chrome "cold air pipes". Ahhh, what happened to the old hot rod world. Its dying to these 4 bangin bumble bee exhaust cars. Whats worse is that they like it. They wish to have a fast and the furious car, when the real cars are on American Graffiti, yet they have never heard of it. And no, the '50 merc doesn't want a ricer paint job, he likes it to look nice.
FYI, any time you change something other than an OEM part I hate to tell you that you ARE customizing. Granted, changing out a stereo doesn't require the skills that leading in a panel needs but it is still on the same line. I like how you over simplified my bizz. You know, I actually also do car restorations on the side. This knowledge has helped me a lot. Also, I work within a very large rod and customs shop. They don't want to chance working on electronics and admire my expertise just as I do theirs. As far as people being flagged from you because they "customize" by having some vinyle graphics and a remote start installed is silly. You got to realize that when someone buys a $30k or higher priced car, they do not want to nor could afford to put more $$ for a $10k paintjob. Besides, if they do, most regular insurance companies like State Farm or Nationwide will not cover anything like that. I do not know about you but I feel having that kind of money in a paint job you can't insure isn't the way to go.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:27 PM   #23
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod&Custom
Alright, I'll let it go. I just feel as its a waste of money. See you in the Mustang forums!
Rod&Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:39 PM   #24
error4o4
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to error4o4 Send a message via MSN to error4o4 Send a message via Yahoo to error4o4

go to school, or get some experience. then, visit your local small business development center. these centers are sponsored by the SBA, and offer business consulting services free of charge. their staff is highly trained and experienced in starting a business. i know, because i work at one.
error4o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #25
albinomonkey021
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to albinomonkey021

does ne one on this poll know ne thing about making a body kit. i would like to make a custom body kit for my car and have no knowledge of making body kits. im also wanting to do this for a senior project so i can graduate so if ne one has any knowledge of this can u plz help me thanx.
albinomonkey021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:42 PM   #26
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Need tips on starting a car customizing business

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinomonkey021
does ne one on this poll know ne thing about making a body kit. i would like to make a custom body kit for my car and have no knowledge of making body kits. im also wanting to do this for a senior project so i can graduate so if ne one has any knowledge of this can u plz help me thanx.
Check with any place near you that makes things out of fiberglass like a boat company or something.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #27
EvoZero
AF Newbie

Get a job at a shop and learn everything you can. The world of customizing has changed. The street rod thing has evolved from its backyard roots to a much more expensive hobby. Even classic muscle cars are getting hard to tune, thanks to a speculative market that is driving up the price of good cars.

That leaves modern cars, and I don't care if you're doing a Mustang or a Civic, the owner's goals are going to be the same. Better sounds, better looks and better power and handling. So learn how to do a stereo. Learn all about painting and body work. And learn about performance modifications. Even trailer queen showcars these days have some serious engine modifications.

Also, go to shows and look and see what people aren't doing. There's a lot of potential out there, and a lot of people doing a half-assed job. Learn to use your whole ass, and you'll do well. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2004, 01:26 AM   #28
*CuTlAsS*
AF Newbie

Thanks error404 and evoZero. You both have given me the best piece of advice so far, and I intend on using it.
*CuTlAsS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:27 PM   #29
EvoZero
AF Newbie

My pleasure. Just know that you'll have to pay your dues, and don't expect overnight success. I know guys who have been doing this for over 10 years and are just now starting to see the fruits of their labor, uh, fruit.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:11 AM   #30
Redline2
AF Newbie

I have a modest dodge neon i am customizing. i need help in a few areas, such as: I.C.E., interior design and paint, and seats and performance. if any one could help me it would be great.
Redline2 is offline   Reply With Quote