Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
tj1122
AF Newbie

2000 Mercury Sable LS Transmission

I was recently informed that my transmission is going out and will need to be rebuilt or replaced soon. Is it worth replacing with a low mileage used one or should I start looking for a new car? The car currently has over 220,000 miles. A rebuild will cost $2000 to $2800 i can pick up the used one for around 300 and will put it in at my friends shop.
tj1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Mercury Sable LS Transmission

Transmission failure is very common on the the mercury sable between 1996-2003 much like the Ford Taurus that it's basically just a cheaper version of. These cars have a lot of other problems as well. You may have noticed that the build quality is a bit sloppy. The inner door panels often fall off, the windows jam quite often, sometimes the door locks stick and the only way to open the door is from the outside with the key. They are also known for electrical problems. The engine is pretty much the only part of the car that's any good. At 220k miles, things will continue to go wrong, so it wouldn't be wise sinking that much money into a car that will probably continue giving you trouble until eventually it just dies.
Let this be a lesson, stay away from any pre 2003 mercury sable or Ford Taurus.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable