Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > R5 Turbo
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
Si Perks
AF Newbie

Hello Guys Please help

Now i recently joined the R5 Crew i own a 1989 R5 GTT, now my problem is that it gets hot very easily, so i put a new thermostat in the top hose near the water pump, and now the hose sucks itself in when you blip the throttle, which tells me the water system has a vacum but i can't seem to find where, and also i have all the orginal pipes and things with the car, and i want to add the perc ? fan and all the sensers back too, but i'm not sure where they all go, could some one do me a BIG favour and take a picture of their Phase 2 GTT engine bay, preferably in standard form if poss.

Cheers For looking Guys

Si.
Si Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
youpy2005
AF Newbie

Talking Re: Hello Guys Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Perks
Now i recently joined the R5 Crew i own a 1989 R5 GTT, now my problem is that it gets hot very easily, so i put a new thermostat in the top hose near the water pump, and now the hose sucks itself in when you blip the throttle, which tells me the water system has a vacum but i can't seem to find where, and also i have all the orginal pipes and things with the car, and i want to add the perc ? fan and all the sensers back too, but i'm not sure where they all go, could some one do me a BIG favour and take a picture of their Phase 2 GTT engine bay, preferably in standard form if poss.

Cheers For looking Guys

Si.
wotcha m8 southend bod here,just soined up.hope you got overheating sorted?? ive had the same trouble and am combating it at the minute.does your 5 overheat or temp rise when you turn it off??my pipe also sucked in.you gotta watch the headgasket as you already know i bet.the only way i can get mine to run at a safe temp is by removing the thermostat middle bit,which gives it a little resistance for the water,so its not major dangerous at warming up,it runs ok then holding temp,except at idle when it does go up quicker.ive got no blockages as far as im aware,or air blocks,am going to try low temp thermostat tmrw and see what happens.its not unusual for the small bore banjoo union bolts on the turbo to get clogged.any ideas or want to chat on fives give us a phone ...ben 07971 399933,good luck and if you have solved please let me know what your problem was,thanks
youpy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
R4223R
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to R4223R
Re: Hello Guys Please help

Now mate try jetwashing thro the water in the car bleed the radiator,then refill it up and start the car and get all the air locks out also fit a override switch in the car for the fan.and if thats your first r5 turbo u have owned then let the car warm up for 2mins before you drive it anywhere!! as the turbo will go bang after a while! and another 3 things u might want to invest in is a grade a gasket set from http://www.k-tecracing.com/index.asp ,and a turbo timer to cold the turbo down after running it, and to keep the turbo longer,a in car boost valve kit so u can lower the rate of the turbo and higher it when u need it hope this help you out if you need any more info give me a ring on 07788992309
Daz
R4223R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Derby
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Derby
Re: Hello Guys Please help

The overheating problem is a known problem with these cars. About removing the thermostat. That is not a very good idea, it will take longer for you engine to warm up and when it is really cold it won't have the chance to warm up. which keeps the oil on a low temperature, end that results in a bigger turbo lag and bigger internal wear.
The only thing that works is a new radiator. Prefferably a copper one. It helped me big time. I never have a problem now with the temperature, even at 30 degrees celcius and WOT for 15 min.
I did a search for some pictures of how the cooling should be connected. But i think when you look for 5gtt on google you will find enough pictures, and when you combinate all you will figure out how it works.

Have you checked your cooling system for air? That contributes a lot to a worse cooling.

Derby

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > R5 Turbo