Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 04:28 PM   #16
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Re: Useable BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebayls
Hi,
I'm interested in a turbo or supercharger for my 97 2.5l mondeo - thats a contour to you guys ;-)

This isnt for track or drag racing - just for fast road use so I'd be interested in knowing what you chaps think the best solution is. So far the only mods I've made to the engine are installing st200 (thats our version of the sportier contour) upper and lower inlet manifolds and throttle body.

My only concern is the bhp figures you chaps are quoting when I was under the belief that you cant really use more than 240 bhp in a front wheel drive car. Tell me why I'm mistaken.
Hmm...whats your reasoning behind that? I understand that your going to have some traction issues, but the svt/st200/st220 still have traction issues with just the standard 2.5L or 3.0L. Certainly, the more hp you add to a fwd vehicle, traction is going to become more limited from the start, but there is things to help maximize as much traction as possible such as lsd, filled motor mounts, torque strap, some high performance tires, etc. My friend in his fwd nissan maxima runs a 12.7 on his $55 econo-special tires and a 12.4 on drag radials. Hes putting down 476 fwhp and 501 fwtq.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:17 PM   #17
mikebayls
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Useable BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondloadedSE
Hmm...whats your reasoning behind that?
Thanks for yr reply btw.
I suppose my reasoning was simply the traction issues you bring up. For fast road use you cant really use fwdmonster power and torque as the rear end feels like its on castors.

I suppose what I'm looking to achieve is quick 50-100mph times with the minimum number of modifications and maintenance required. Also minimum impact on normal everyday fuel economy. I thought maybe a turbo charger rather than a supercharger would do this as it doesnt seem to have much impact in the lower revs and isnt 'geared-in'.

I notice that you have a turbo waiting to go in (albeit a bigger block and I suspect yr goal is much higher than mine) so I'd be interested to know if you think I could get 250-275bhp with a sensible installation of the SF kit. What do you think the torque improvements would be for such a set-up?

Thanks.
mikebayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #18
mikebayls
AF Newbie

PS: I currently get 198 bhp at the flywheel
Old 01-19-2004, 07:58 PM   #19
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Re: Re: Re: Useable BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebayls
so I'd be interested to know if you think I could get 250-275bhp with a sensible installation of the SF kit. What do you think the torque improvements would be for such a set-up?

Thanks.
A stock svt motor with the addition of the street flight turbo kit and 3" Yo-dude catback dynoed at 292 whp and 275 wtq at 9 psi. Most of his dynos are in the 275 whp and 270 wtq with 7 psi. A non svt 2.5L motor puts out about 265 whp and 260 wtq at 7 psi. A 3.0L with 5.5 psi puts out 300 whp.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:13 PM   #20
mikebayls
AF Newbie

well - that sounds like just the ticket!
I think I will await with interest the outcome of your install before I shell out the bucks - meanwhile I wanna go find the others who already have it installed.

I think I'll see if i can organise a UK group-buy while im on! We're behind in the contour custom modding game. We've got some pretty fast RS200's though :-) (thats in the 10's to you )

Thanks again
Old 01-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #21
Cipsimpopsduh
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Cipsimpopsduh
Hey, Hi, and Hello to all :)

Hi everybody. I just registered here, and this looks like a great forum. Very professional and friendly. Keep up the great work! I'm just an average city kid, currently i am attending the university of philadelphia and my name is Sam. Just wanted to say hello to you all i hope to have a great time here i guess!