Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #1
jdlemieux
AF Newbie

Allergic reaction

Has anyone in the auto repair world out there ever become sensitive to anything in their shop. Rash all over fingers splitting. Dermatologist is stumped. Cortisone shots help for a couple of months and then it starts again.

Last edited by jdlemieux; 04-14-2016 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Found the cause
jdlemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Allergic reaction

I've gotten to the point now where I wear nitrile gloves and then mechanix gloves over top of them for my fingers and hands splitting. Not only does it protect your hands from harsh chemicals, but it makes your hands sweat a little and puts natural moisturizer back into your skin.

Since I started doing that my hands and especially my fingers have improved dramatically.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
Chonneta
AF Newbie

I have similar problems too

Last edited by Chonneta; 08-03-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Chonneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
jdlemieux
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonneta View Post
I have similar problems too
After 6 months and countless visits to Doctors I had a patch test. My skin reaction was caused by a chemical called Methychloroisothiazolione or Methylisothiazolinone. It is found in orange hand cleaner, shampoos, laundry detergents and liquid fabric softeners.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:26 AM   #5
jdlemieux
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
I've gotten to the point now where I wear nitrile gloves and then mechanix gloves over top of them for my fingers and hands splitting. Not only does it protect your hands from harsh chemicals, but it makes your hands sweat a little and puts natural moisturizer back into your skin.

Since I started doing that my hands and especially my fingers have improved dramatically.
I have found out I am allergic to a chemical called Methychloroisothiazolione or Methylisothiazolinone. It is found in Orange hand cleaner, shampoo, laundry detergent. A lot of household cleaners. It is a preservative. I can only use 100% petroleum jelly to clean my hands.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
harleyguy
AF Regular

I had this same problem. Boss wanted to try a new soap from a cheaper place. it worked well but after a few weeks my arms were all rashed up. I told him this isn't going to work.

Did you change soap or is this just a new allergic reaction from out of nowhere?
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
jdlemieux
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyguy View Post
I had this same problem. Boss wanted to try a new soap from a cheaper place. it worked well but after a few weeks my arms were all rashed up. I told him this isn't going to work.

Did you change soap or is this just a new allergic reaction from out of nowhere?
I had a patch testing done at the Dematogists office. It came back positive for severe reaction to the chemical Methychloroisothiazolione, Methylisothiazolinone. It is in a lot of liquid products. Orange hand cleaner that I have been using for years, head and shoulders shampoo. Laundry detergents. I just all of sudden developed the reaction. You could try doing your own patch test. Take the tip off of a Q-tip, get it really covered with the product. Use waterproof tape and put it someplace on your back, like between your shoulder blades. Leave it on for 48 hours, don't get it wet. Remove after and for a reaction. Good luck J
Old 05-11-2016, 06:40 AM   #8
broownjake
AF Newbie

I think for the first time in my life I have discovered what happened with my hands! Nobody did any of the allergen test to me, just said that I need moisturizer.. Thanks guys! Maybe you know if this allergiecan bee passed on from parents?
broownjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:45 PM   #9
benhatchins
AF Newbie

I just started to have a very bad rush on both of my hands after spending the whole day in my garage. No idea what caused it.
Tomorrow i will try to find some infos about that on canada drugs website and maybe to give a call to their customer service.
Hopefully it can be solved easily with the applying some cream or something like that.

Last edited by benhatchins; 09-18-2023 at 05:24 PM.
benhatchins is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic