Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
dottnmd
AF Newbie

Help, still clunking after bushing were changed

I first got the clunking noise about 2 months ago. I thought it was the CV Half Shaft. Hubby replaced that and the clunking still existed. I cam to the forums and found the sticky that it was the lower arm bushing. We sprayed WD 40 on it and it helped until I could get into the garage. I work at a garage part time cleaning. They called that week for me to bring in my van but hubby had it at work. One thing led to another and that was 3 weeks ago. I got the van in to the garage today. They replaced the bushing and the clunking was still there. I pulled out the printout and they looked it over again. He said he was afraid of melting the bushing when welding it.

Can anyone give me a little bit more detailed info on the weld fix. This thing is driving me crazy after over a month and I am afraid something will break and run into more $$ down the road.

Desperate Dott
dottnmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
96wWindstar180K
AF Regular

Re: Help, still clunking after bushing were changed

Look under Wiswinds signature and view pictures. He has a picture submitted by someone else of how and where to weld.
96wWindstar180K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
kahjdh
AF Enthusiast

what year?
1996 Acura Integra LS B18 1.8L
Past Cars:
1990 Buick Estate Wagon 5.0L
1987 Chevy S10 2.5L Tec Four
1995 Pontiac Grand Am 2.3 Quad 4
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L AWD
1991 Ford Tempo L 2.3L
1992 Buick LeSabre 3.8L
1997 Buick Century 3.1L
1996 Lumina APV GT 3.4L
2006 Ford Escape 3.0L XLT
kahjdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
dottnmd
AF Newbie

I've seen the photos but I still can't tell where the weld should exactly be. I can see weld marks.

Kahjdh, its a 95' with 3.8

Last edited by dottnmd; 08-18-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
LeSabre97mint
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottnmd
I've seen the photos but I still can't tell where the weld should exactly be. I can see weld marks.

Kahjdh, its a 95' with 3.8
Hello

If the nut is removed from the rod along with the washer and rubber bushing, a wire feed welder should be able to put it all back together again.

Here is a link to Westwind's pics of the welded bushing: http://community.webshots.com/album/...ScpNK?start=96 I also have a 95 and I took the pics when I welded mine up.

Rergards

Dan

Photos of my repairs: http://dansautopictures.shutterfly.com/
Check this out:http://threewheelmotorcyclemetro.shutterfly.co

A must read about problems Windstars have: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=672854

95 Windstar 240,000+
98 Windstar 136,000+ 09-25-2008.
85 Dodge 1 Ton Snow mover gas hog
91 Mazda Protege free beater
SW MN
LeSabre97mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
bychance ford
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottnmd
I first got the clunking noise about 2 months ago. I thought it was the CV Half Shaft. Hubby replaced that and the clunking still existed. I cam to the forums and found the sticky that it was the lower arm bushing. We sprayed WD 40 on it and it helped until I could get into the garage. I work at a garage part time cleaning. They called that week for me to bring in my van but hubby had it at work. One thing led to another and that was 3 weeks ago. I got the van in to the garage today. They replaced the bushing and the clunking was still there. I pulled out the printout and they looked it over again. He said he was afraid of melting the bushing when welding it.

Can anyone give me a little bit more detailed info on the weld fix. This thing is driving me crazy after over a month and I am afraid something will break and run into more $$ down the road.

Desperate Dott
save your sanity,my has had the same noise for 3 years and 40k miles,i have change almost everything,even the bushing,i have never silenced it,sometimes it seems less,but i think i'm dreaming.changed struts,strut bearing,bushing,tie rods(inner and outer)and a bunch other stuff.learn to live with it.
bychance ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
dottnmd
AF Newbie

Welp, she is finally fixed. It turned out to be 2 bolts that were loose in the undercarriage. I had a new tranmission put in the van in late spring. The clunking started less than a month after and I never put 2 and 2 together. Seems there were 2 bolts that weren't tighten properly.

I couldn't let it go Bychance. I love my van and it is important that I keep her running and in working order.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar