Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
95DodgeAvenger95
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 95DodgeAvenger95
Bad gas mileage? or what

When i drive my car normal i have great gas mileage, but when i jump on it my fuel mileage is like a escalade. if i jump on it i can go from like half a tank down to almost a 1/4 a tank, and that only trying to go fast for a short distance. is it just doing that bc the accel is so slow and it just runs in the gears so long and revs up slow? so it sucks up alot of gas? or is my gauge broke? any ideas? or is it just that bad when the car is running hard?
Black 96 3000Gt Vr4 58k mi, H.H.H. Data logger, RPS MAX, Big16G/14b Combo, FMIC, AEM EUGO, Greddy EBC, SAFC II, 560's, hotwired 255lph, not cats, Solid motor mounts, Faze boost gauge, Apexi turbo timer, full exhaust with 3" ICH Single shot Catback, K&N Air Filter, Front upper strut brace, T-Case Bracket, AC delete, Meth injection, NGK stg 1 colder, 8k HID'S.
AIMING FOR 500+AWHP at ips dyno.
95DodgeAvenger95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bad gas mileage? or what

I have a couple questions to ask you.

Did you discover the bad gas mileage by dividing the number of miles you drove between fill ups by the number of gallons you added to the tank?

Or are you just commenting on how the fuel gauge fuctuates in a 10 second period after you accelerate hard?

With regards to question 1, you consume more fuel on average when you punch the accelerator than when you do when you drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and the throttle pedal.

With regards to question 2, the fuel gauge takes its electrical signal from a float in the tank the varies with fuel level. When you accelerate hard, the fuel all rushes to the back of the tank at once, causing the float to drop temporarily. That would account for the 1/4 tank gauge drop during hard acceleration. But once you level off, you will see the gauge return to where it was before.

Now, think about what I have written and let us all know your thoughts.

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
95DodgeAvenger95
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 95DodgeAvenger95
Re: Bad gas mileage? or what

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManiac
I have a couple questions to ask you.

Did you discover the bad gas mileage by dividing the number of miles you drove between fill ups by the number of gallons you added to the tank?

Or are you just commenting on how the fuel gauge fuctuates in a 10 second period after you accelerate hard?

With regards to question 1, you consume more fuel on average when you punch the accelerator than when you do when you drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and the throttle pedal.

With regards to question 2, the fuel gauge takes its electrical signal from a float in the tank the varies with fuel level. When you accelerate hard, the fuel all rushes to the back of the tank at once, causing the float to drop temporarily. That would account for the 1/4 tank gauge drop during hard acceleration. But once you level off, you will see the gauge return to where it was before.

Now, think about what I have written and let us all know your thoughts.
well its like number 2, but it stays down. dosent come back up and i only accelerate for a short period of time.
Black 96 3000Gt Vr4 58k mi, H.H.H. Data logger, RPS MAX, Big16G/14b Combo, FMIC, AEM EUGO, Greddy EBC, SAFC II, 560's, hotwired 255lph, not cats, Solid motor mounts, Faze boost gauge, Apexi turbo timer, full exhaust with 3" ICH Single shot Catback, K&N Air Filter, Front upper strut brace, T-Case Bracket, AC delete, Meth injection, NGK stg 1 colder, 8k HID'S.
AIMING FOR 500+AWHP at ips dyno.
95DodgeAvenger95 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger