Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
macol
AF Newbie

CEL with PO420 code

I have a 1999 California emissions Maxima with 105000 miles. In July the CEL went on with a PO420 code indicated. My Nissan dealer wants to sell me a new catalytic convertor, but I am hoping it is something less costly. I have always used regular gas with no apparent problems. Could this be the culprit and besides changing to high test (which I have done) what else can I do? Thanks in advance. Ross
macol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:00 PM   #2
THT
AF Enthusiast

Re: CEL with PO420 code

Yes, running 89 can cause issues with your O2 sensors. IIRC, 0420 is the downstream O2 sensor that needs replacing. It's within the cat and is easily replaced. Buy the part at www.oxygensensors.com and follow my directions: http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=16

~THT

Some people call it an obsession; I call it my Maxima.
THT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:12 PM   #3
MiamiMaxima
AF Newbie

yo im lookin to see if anybody can help me out on how to hook up a 1996 automatic nissan maxima im open to any advice
MiamiMaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
THT
AF Enthusiast

Try starting your own thread...

~THT

Some people call it an obsession; I call it my Maxima.
THT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
macol
AF Newbie

Re: Re: CEL with PO420 code

THT
Thanks for the info. I have ordered the rear O2 sensors. My Maxima has 2 rears. Waiting for them to arrive from Oxygensensors.com. The salesman was VERY helpful and I would recommend the company to all on this thread.
macol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:01 PM   #6
sidzorn
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to sidzorn Send a message via Yahoo to sidzorn

hey most of the time when u get a p420 or p430 its not an o2 sensors but its the cat yours would be the front flex pipe its salty but if have 80,000 or less miles on it its warranty
Old 12-09-2004, 03:51 PM   #7
foureyedbuzzard
AF Regular

PO420 MIL code

Hi all, I'm a new member with a similar problem.

Subject vehicle is a 96 GMC Sierra, 5.0 liter, 97,000 miles. I am reading a MIL code PO420-catalytic system efficiency below threshold(Bank 1). All the oxygen sensors seem okay, I see their outputs range from about .2 to .85 volts, and they seem to respond fairly quickly with throttle position changes. If the cat converter is bad, and I continue to run the vehicle will it effect the engine performance, fuel economy, etc? Is there any way to fool or permanently change the value the computer uses to determine the cat efficiency threshold. There is no vehicle emissions testing in the rural area where I live, and though I don't wish to be a ecological Neanderthal, the truck runs fine and I'd rather not spend several hundred in repairs if I can avoid it.

Thanks all
foureyedbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35