Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 03:04 PM   #1
LUKE'57
AF Regular

What was your first car and have you ever built a model of it?

Knowing the attachment most form with their first ride it seems only natural to render it in scale. I'll start it off with my model of the '57 I took my driver's license test in. Also my first date and my first drive into the mountains around Asheville. I can't think of a better car to take on the same roads where Thunder Road was filmed, can you?

LUKE'57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
EMAXX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EMAXX Send a message via MSN to EMAXX
My first one was a Dodge dully that you just had to put the interior in and the wheels on.
EMAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:16 PM   #3
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
No kit made of an '89 Honda Accord.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
freakray
AF Modelrater

Luke'57, you came back

I have built a model of the first car I owned since coming to America, a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, as for my first car ever, there is no model of it made.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:53 PM   #5
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Re: What was your first car and have you ever built a model of it?

Quote:
Originally posted by LUKE'57
Knowing the attachment most form with their first ride it seems only natural to render it in scale. I'll start it off with my model of the '57 I took my driver's license test in. Also my first date and my first drive into the mountains around Asheville. I can't think of a better car to take on the same roads where Thunder Road was filmed, can you?
My first car was a 1976 Subaru DL coupe. It sucked. It was slow, unreliable, noisy, cramped, and hideously ugly. I don't want a model of it! It was replaced by a new silver 1980 Honda Civic DX that was a far better car-quick, quiet, looked good and was totally reliable, and I have a sort-of decent model of it, but have yet to build it.

The first car I drove was actually on the sly, my parents had a loaner car, a 1972 Ambassador, and they were out for the evening, I was 15 years old (some of my friends were 16 and had started driving and I wanted to myself), and took it out for a spin around the block. Don't want a model if it either. When I got my learner's permit, my first drive was in my Mom's Hornet Sportabout, a real yawner. No, don't care for a model of it either. My Dad let my drive the family's '69 Fury III that night, big and hard to keep in the lane on the interstate. A model of it would be kinda cool.

Personally, I've driven the roads around Asheville and I can't think of a better car than my own Miata for zoom-zooming around the bends of those magnificent roads. It's a blast coming into Deal's Gap from Tennessee on the tail of the dragon (US 129), the best stretch of road in the country IMHO.

I've only built one model of a car I've owned. I guess I get more satisfaction from driving my cars than building models of them. I like building stuff that's not likely to be seen in my driveway.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:27 PM   #6
tdoty
AF Regular

My first car wasn't really "mine". A buddy and I went halves on 1972 Chrysler Newport - 440, 4 barrel, no exhaust and way to much power for a couple of 16 year old kids! I saw the high side of 130 in that car many a time - dumb kids, lol. We got rid of it when the cost of tickets for the exhaust exceeded the price of the car!

My first car that was truly MINE was a '74 Chevelle. Malibu Classic according to the dash emblem, but marked Chevelle everywhere else. Had a 400 small-block under the hood - a major disappointment for me, I got spoiled by the big block. Loaned to my sister for a while, and it died a horrible death - sort of. The valve cover gaskets leaked - A LOT - and she never was one to check the oil. Tossed a rod and got traded to a buddy for a '76 Monza - hey, the Monza had only been wrecked twice, but it ran nice. 2.3 4-banger and a T-50 5-speed spelled 30 mpg plus on the highway - big change from V-8 land! The Chrysler got okay mileage - we never worried about it enough to actually do the math. My Chevelle got 15 mpg on a good day, so the Monza was super cheap! He was driving MY Chevelle within a week :O(

The car I most want a model of is my '79 T-bird - metallic blue with red leather and a little 302 under the hood. With ported heads, Summit cam, Weiand intake, Holley 750 on top, it was a blast once you got 'er rollin', lol. No low end, and no gears either.....it didn't even start pulling until you got it over 2500, but it was lots of fun. I've seen the resin Thunderbird NASCAR bodies, but I just don't have the ambition to carve a replica from one of those. Got tired of replacing starters - stripped off the good parts and junked it! Never met a Ford starter that liked me, but I loved that car - funny how a wife and 2 kids can affect your priorities, lol. She hated it.......and kept pushing me to get rid of it (needed something better for the kids), and was VERY happy when I did - my youngest son is still pissed about me getting rid of it! He's all of 9 years old - and the car's been gone for almost 4!

A model of my current toy would be nice too, but converting a Revell '87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe into an '85 Monte is more than I feel like doing right now too. Heck, I wouldn't mind a model of my old Tangerine '80 Pinto either, lol. The Chevette? Forget it, it's already a scale model of a real car, lol. Then again, it's going to be a pile of dust BEFORE I decide to get rid of it!!!!!!! Paid $400 for it just shy of 3 years ago, and have done very little to, all things considered - but I don't need a model of it, lol.

Probably wandered more than bit off the topic at hand, but I do that sometimes.

Tim D.
tdoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 05:08 PM   #7
73superduty
Lost in plastic

Send a message via AIM to 73superduty
My first car was a 1969 Mustang Fastback. It had a straight six 250 c.i. engine.
I could kick myself for getting rid of it as I am under the impression not too many fastbacks were made with a straight six.
That car would have been very easy to clone out to anything.

But topic at hand, yes I did build one, a long time ago. Unfortunately it hasn't witheld the test of time and most likely made its way to the dump via my loving mother.

I'll have to get one and do another build of it.
Thanks for the memory Luke!
Chris
73superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 05:16 PM   #8
themodelkid
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to themodelkid
Glad to see you back Luke!! My first car (truck) was a 1987 Chevy S-10 (my first one) The truck i own now looks pretty close to, same color and everything, but i had a diffrent grill and rims on it, I am going to start the works on a model of my current S-10, so it will kinda do along with th old one.
250hp, 250 lb ft tq.
1995 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L
Stone White
230 hp, 246 lb ft tq.
Supercharger in Works...
1987 Chevy S-10
Midnight Blue Prl. Metallic
300hp, 314 lb ft tq.
5.0L Baby...
themodelkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:34 PM   #9
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven
Unhappy

My first car was a 1972 Pontiac Grande Ville with a 455 and duals! I wish I could have a model of it!
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:03 PM   #10
Mainomega
AF Enthusiast

My first car was A 95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Lots of memories of my dates,my friends hagging out in high school, and crusing around the city.

I have two Tamiya models currently waiting to be built. I will build the first exactly how my jeep was, and the second how my jeep is now... raised and ready for wheelin.

I don't drive it at all now, but I want to think after my kids are born i can restore it and give it to them.

I dunno
Old 08-06-2003, 12:38 AM   #11
Mikke
AF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Mikke
I have always managed to buy cars that have no kits made of...

My first car was a 1984 VW Polo Classic, after that came a 1983 Opel Ascona 1.6S. Next one was a 1992 Volvo 440SE, which my gf is using now, while I drive a 1996 Saab 900S.

I believe there are no kits of any of those cars?
8.10.2003 13:44:25 Ales says: and with some work I'd be a great model
8.10.2003 13:44:36 Mikke says: no you wouldn't
8.10.2003 13:45:00 Ales says: good point
8.10.2003 13:45:01 Ales says: LOL!
Mikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:46 AM   #12
airforceone
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to airforceone
Smile My ride...

Nobody makes a 92 S-10 blazer four door. would like one though. I'm still onmy first truck, but I'll have a BMW in about two years...
airforceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:11 AM   #13
exhaust smoke
AF Enthusiast

My first and current car is a Toyota Yaris (...or Vitz in Japan or Echo in the US). I am in the process of modelling it. Just converting the kit from a 4 door to a 2 door, also there license plate at the rear has to be extended to the UK size as the kit is modelled on the Japanese market version.
exhaust smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:39 AM   #14
Sennake
AF Enthusiast

My first car was a 1981 VW Golf, that looked like this :

And the model I built looks like this :

In the meantime I owned 5 cars, and I have built them all as scale models

* WWW.SENNAKE.BE *
Sennake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:04 AM   #15
cyclone1410
Honda Convert

My first car was a Datsun 1600 (510 in the US). I wacked on twin SUs and extractors and entered it in some local club rallies - didn't do too well though!

I have about three kits of the old Datsun - have yet to build any of them!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling