Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 924/944/968
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Hawkstein
AF Newbie

Porshe 944 / First car

First off thanks in advance for any advice!
So I am looking to buy my first car, and I absolutely love the 944. Here are my main concerns:

-Reliability: I understand it is a relatively old car, however I have seen very mixed reviews as to the upkeep and repairs necessary for this car. How much can I expect per year in maintanence?

-Safety: Given that it is an older car, how safe is it? People say they are built well, but how might it hold up in a collision? (hopefully no accidents haha, but its good to know just in case:P)

-Ability in bad weather: How well does it work in the snow? The Rain?

-Options: (not really about the porsche) Are there any other used cars that are similar to the 944 that are reliable and affordable?

The main issue I have with these thing is that people don't describe how they use and maintain their car. I would not be launching this car, pushing it to its limit, reving it etc. (I do like performance, but I have always ben more interested in this car for its handling and looks than straight line speed). Basically, it would be my every day car (beater if you will) but I would be treating it very nicely, driving safe, and not pushing it too much.

Also, just want to mention that while I have no real experience with working on cars I am willing and eager to learn with normal things like the interior and oil changes etc. I just don't want to deal with anything huge very often.
Hawkstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Re: Porshe 944 / First car

Welcome to the Automotive forums. Without mentioning any names, do a search for Porsche forums to find additional information.

There isn't a lot of activity here. I have an 86 944, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Reliability: They can be reasonably reliable it you get all the problems sorted. My son traded a race car for my 944 in early 2010. It had lots of problems, he did most of the repairs himself. It needed brake and clutch hydraulics, general tune up. Resealing the AOS (air oil seperator) and the engine oil. Steering rack leaked, needed power steering and cooling reserve tanks, injectors repaired and sealed. He replaced the timing and balancer belts. He did some things that wern't necessary and many others I didn't mention. After all the work it was somewhat dependable. This car had lots of maintenance records up until sometime in 2002 or 3. No record from then until he acquired it.

Later he won a new Boxster on raffle, so he didn't need the 944. He triedselling it but didn't have much luck so I ended up taking it. I got it in Nov 2011.

The steeing rack he replaced was leaking again. I got another reconditioned rack, it also leaked. The seller replaced the rack with another one, I had to do all the labor, not easy. The good part is it's leak free so far.

The oxygen sensor needed replacement and the rear axle toe in was way off, wheel alignment isn't easy on a 944. I have experienced some other problems but nothing to prevent it from running. I have driven it a little over 5,000 mi. I have mixed feelings about it being reliable. Just learned yesterday the ac isn't cooling.

You will probably need to spend about $1000, $1500 per year if you do most of the maintence. It requires timing and balancer belts be adjusted every 15,000 mi and replace them every 30,000 mi. It's not easy and requires some special tools to do right.
As mentioned steering racks can be a problem and water pumps aren't very reliable.

I like the car, it handles very well and is fun for an old man to drive.

It's probably safer than most other cars of the same age. The bodies are galvanized and rust isn't a problem. The chassis is very stiff. I haven't seen one that was in a colision so I cannot comment on that. At their age the seat belts should probably be replaced. Old belts have been known to fail.

My son drove the car in the snow on winter in Colorado using regular street tires. The car is well balanced and should work well in snow or rain. It does have low ground clearance. Being retired, I don't ususlly take it out in the rain and in central NC we have very little snow.

Several import coupes or 90's Camaro should be dependable have low running costs.

Several 944 owners have learned to do repairs and maintenance. You will need to be on a different forum to take advantage of frequent posters. Look for the Pelican.

Good luck with whatever you do. I hope some of my comments are helpful.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 924/944/968