Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Rally
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 04:45 AM   #16
cruisey
AF Enthusiast

The Nice guy always finishes last.

EXCEPT Possum!

He'll be missed, dearly. Rest in peace, Possum!
cruisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 07:01 AM   #17
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimster
I don't think he has passed away yet
Jimster, at the time Phil made that post, it had been confirmed that Possum had passed, in fact, it was all over the web by then......

Sad news, a driver that will definitely be missed, I always enjoyed Rally OZ & NZ because it meant I would get to see Possum in action......
Old 04-29-2003, 08:12 AM   #18
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

The posts I and others made earlier regarding Possum Bourne passing away do seem to be premature. I heard the news on a local radio station this morning and took it at face value. Bizzarely it appears the news report is incorrect. Possum is fighting on!

It is cruel that some elements of the media are announcing Possum's death when he is still very much alive. However medical staff have announced his chances of recovery or survival are virtually nil.

This is the latest update on his condition from World Rally News:

A statement has been issued today by Murray Brown, general manager of Possum Bourne Motorsport, on behalf of the Bourne family:

“Peggy and ‘Possum’s’ family remain by ‘Possum’s’ bedside in Dunedin Hospital.

“Possum’ has now been removed from all life support equipment but is getting the best possible care from the hospital staff.

“The family continues to take strength from ‘Possum’s’ courage to the end, as well as the messages of support from throughout New Zealand, Australia and around the world.

“No further statements will be made until there is a significant change in ‘Possum’s’ condition.”
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:41 AM   #19
freakray
AF Modelrater

Yeah Phil, it seems the news got it all mixed up.....sorry Jimster.
I just found this disclaimer on another rally site which yesterday had it posted that Possum had passed:

"Contrary to sad reports in Australian press is that Possum has not passed away shortly after his life support was switched. Instead he remains to struggle with family by his side. This was the status at 1200 hours NZ Time +1200 GMT. "
Old 04-29-2003, 09:29 AM   #20
Guido
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by freakray
Yeah Phil, it seems the news got it all mixed up.....sorry Jimster.
I just found this disclaimer on another rally site which yesterday had it posted that Possum had passed:

"Contrary to sad reports in Australian press is that Possum has not passed away shortly after his life support was switched. Instead he remains to struggle with family by his side. This was the status at 1200 hours NZ Time +1200 GMT. "
I think it is a scandal that journalists do not better inform themselves before declaring someone dead actually. The news and all is already sad enough.

But hope keeps people going, so fingers crossed...
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:24 PM   #21
Marco_Wrc
Rally Fan

Long post. I could post a link to the original website, but maybe the link will change. So here it is, latest article from The New Zeland Herald.

Quote:
source: www.nzherald.co.nz

Rally ace clinging to life as doctors turn off machines

By SCOTT MacLEOD and NZPA
Critically ill rally driver Possum Bourne was clinging to life last night after doctors switched off all the machines at his bedside.

But Dunedin Hospital staff told the rally ace's family his chances of surviving were almost nil.

Friends and family gathered at Bourne's bedside as tributes flooded in for the 47-year-old champion, including more than 4000 messages on his website.

Late yesterday the Bourne family issued a statement saying he had been removed from all life support, but was getting the "best possible care from the hospital staff". Bourne's wife, Peggy, and other family members were at his bedside.

The general manager of Possum Bourne Motorsport, Murray Brown, said the family "continues to take strength from Possum's courage to the end, as well as the messages of support from throughout New Zealand, Australia and around the world.

"No further statements will be made until there is a significant change in Possum's condition."

Websites associated with Bourne crashed yesterday as motorsport fans tried to get news about their hero.

Former rally driver Neil Allport described his old rival as one of the most determined characters on the rally scene.

"He was a very gifted driver - always has been," Allport said. "He didn't have to work hard at it. His desire to achieve was probably greater than the rest of us."

Allport, who manages a British team in the World Rally Championship, is due to fly to Argentina tomorrow for the next round - races he said Bourne had been looking forward to competing in.

News that Bourne's injuries were probably fatal had come as a shock. "We always thought it would just be a long road back."

Rally of New Zealand chairman Morrie Chandler said he had taken many calls from overseas during the past 10 days about Bourne. He described Bourne, who has won the last seven Australian rally championships, as the face of New Zealand rallying.

Other New Zealand drivers had success overseas, but none had matched Bourne's achievements. "He had a two-year project and I'm sure he would have been successful in his aim to be world champion."

Rival driver and three-time national champion Bruce Herbert said few things shocked him, except for the news of the severity of Bourne's injuries.

"The guy is a huge identity throughout the entire Asia-Pacific region. At Rally NZ, you'd see all these 'go Possum go' signs.

"As a person he is terrific, always a smile on his face. As a driver? He's right up there."

Bourne, from Pukekohe, crashed near Cardrona on Good Friday while driving on a public road checking the route for the Race to the Sky hillclimb.

His Subaru stationwagon and a Jeep Cherokee driven by fellow competitor Mike Barltrop collided. Barltrop was discharged from hospital last week after surgery on his left leg.

Wanaka police yesterday said they were awaiting crash analysis reports and would match those with witness statements before deciding whether to lay charges. They could not say when the reports would be ready.

Bourne started rallying in the 1970s. He was overall New Zealand champion in 1991 and won the Asia-Pacific championship three times between 1993 and 2000.
Marco_Wrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:07 PM   #22
Marco_Wrc
Rally Fan

Last article I'll post on Possum. The news I didn't want to hear is now reality. I feel terrible, not because I know him so well (just learned who he was in a week, learned he was a great person), but the way he had to go. Sad story, sad end, he didn't deserve this.

Quote:
source: www.nzherald.co.nz

Kiwi icon Possum Bourne dies

7.10am
New Zealand motorsport icon Peter Raymond George "Possum" Bourne, whose motor rallying exploits and engaging personality made him a household name died at 12.58am today.

Bourne, New Zealand's only professional rally driver, was critically injured in a car crash on April 18 and had been in a drug-induced coma since undergoing surgery for severe head, chest and leg injuries.

"It is with deep sadness that we announce Possum Bourne passed away peacefully at 12.58am on Wednesday, April 30, at Dunedin Hospital," his family said in a statement.

Another statement would be made on behalf of the family at 11.today.

On Monday his family decided that life support systems would be gradually decreased as the brain injury Bourne suffered was severe and continuing "full life support is no longer in Possum's best interests".

Bourne, 47, who became the public face of New Zealand rallying, was born in 1956 in Pukekohe and was originally named Peter, but acquired his nickname as a result of a teenage driving indiscretion. He rolled his mother's car when avoiding a possum on the way back from a mechanic's course in Auckland.

A member of New Zealand Motorport's Wall of Fame Bourne began his rallying career in 1979, driving a Mark 1 Cortina with a V8 engine in which he gained 3rd placing in the first rally he entered.

The result inspired him to become a professional rally driver and by 1983 he had attracted the attention of Japanese car manufacturer Subaru who backed his New Zealand rally campaigns.

Further strong results followed and encouraged Subaru in 1986 to back him in rally events in Australia. Asia, Africa, the United Sates and Great Britain.

By the mid-1990s Bourne had established himself as the most successful rally driver in the southern hemisphere, a position he cemented with a string of successes right up until his death.

But these successes were achieved at a cost. In 1993 Bourne was driving when long time co-driver, friend and business partner Rodger Freeth was killed in a spectacular accident on the first day of the World Championship round in Australia.

Devastated by the tragedy Bourne continued driving, dedicating the 1993 Asia Pacific Championship he subsequently won to his dead friend.

A seven-time Australian rally champion, Bourne was New Zealand Champion in 1991 and Asia Pacific Champion in 1993, 1994 and 2000.

This year Bourne achieved a long held ambition to drive on the world rally circuit.

It was a belated reward for a driver who had frequently taken on the world's best in New Zealand and Australia in inferior machinery and outperformed many of them.

He came fourth in the first round in Sweden in February, although he had never competed on snow before.

Despite his failure to finish in the New Zealand round of championship earlier this month, Bourne was in seventh place in the championship.

Interviewed last year after winning his seventh consecutive Australian championship, Bourne was asked whether he would try for another?

"Yes. I'm doing what I like doing. The trouble is that in a materialistic world people seem to think when you've done it once why would you do it again," he said.

"They fail to understand the reason you do it is not for the results, but because we're doing what we want to do and we've worked damn hard to put together the best team in this part of the world.

"The only hard thing is the time away from home. I have fantastic support from Peggy and the three kids. They hate seeing me go and when I ring up they ask whether I've won the rally yet. They don't expect anything but wins."

- NZPA
Marco_Wrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:02 PM   #23
Purpura Delujo
AF Enthusiast

So if the NZ papers are saying that he has passed away now, about 6 hours ago for me, he is gone? I don't think it's a mistake but lets hope it is. If the press lied like this they would get ALOT of feedback! So is he gone or not? If so it's still hard to believe!
Purpura Delujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:39 PM   #24
RazorGTR
Skyline Man

It is true and very sad. Peter "Possum" Bourne died peacefully at 12:58am Wednesday. He is survived by his by his wife and three children.

You can post a tribute on a website setup by Subaru New Zealand here Tribute

I honestly have no words right now as I am sadden that bad
Never confuse kindess with weakness.
AF user guidelines, Please remember to abide by them
RazorGTR is offline   Reply With Quote