Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
_THC_
AF Newbie

VALVES, VALVES.... valves. Hmm that's a funny word

Not really but...

i'm adjusting the valves on my piece of crap 94 honda accord... f22b1 engine... i start off by rotating the camshaft pulley until it says 'UP" at the very top.

i adjusted first the exhaust valves and then the intake valves according to spec.

then according to instructions i rotate the camshaft pulley 90 degrees counter-clockwise until the UP mark is on the left side, pointing towards the car's windshield...

according to instructions here i'm supposed to proceed adjusting the 3rd piston's valves... but (unlike the first piston's valves) i checked the valve clearances FIRST before adjusting them, and i can barely even fit a .003 feeler in there...

if the valves are that far off spec, wouldnt they have burnt up or something by now? or am i just doing something wrong? or am i totally right and need to go ahead and adjust them back to spec?

thanks guys.
_THC_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
racingheads
AF Newbie

Re: VALVES, VALVES.... valves. Hmm that's a funny word

Hi, adjusting valves on the 1994 Honda Accord are as follows.
Its easier if you remove the the spark plugs.
1) align the crank pulley marker with the white line, cam will face (up) and horizontial marks align with head matting surface. At 12:00 on the inside of the cover you will see a knotch, thats your reference for the 90 degrees. Use some white out, or marker and mark the horizontial marks for a easier reference.
2) valve clearance is in inches. Intake is .010" and the exhaust is .012".
3) start at #1 cylinder, doing intake first, then exhaust.
4) rotate engine 90 degrees (counter-clockwise) meaning towards the front of the car, (too the left) align your white mark at 12:00 or the factory slash mark, the proceed to #3 cylinder.
5) then#4 and #2. firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2.
racingheads is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical