Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
loudandgreen
AF Newbie

1997 Ford Mustang ignition issue

1997 Mustang V6, This car had a lot of issues and stuff is being fixed as money is available THEN a foot accidentally got tangled in the Clifford ignition system (I'm thinking it's anti theft). I don't think the system was professionally installed because of all the loose wiring. The car has been sitting out of frustration and now we're trying to get it back going

1. There was top end work done to the engine and for whatever reason upgraded fuel injectors were added and it's been hard to start ever since.

2. When the wiring got yanked down by a foot it damaged the wiring to a little box thing that has to be carefully held together to start.

At this point the Clifford system is no longer wanted and I'm not sure how to remove it. The original starting issue was after it got back from the shop so I'm not sure if injectors are too big or maybe timing is off due to shop not setting it correctly (possibly)

TIA!

I'm not trying to point fingers... I'm just trying to fix the situation.
loudandgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 1997 Ford Mustang ignition issue

I would start tracing the wires from the Clifford box and getting rid of it. It should be obvious what is OEM wiring and what is not.

I would also put stock injectors back in. Too many people think more fuel equals more power without realizing there is so much more to it. If there is too much fuel without proper control/tuning it will never run right.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
loudandgreen
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
I would start tracing the wires from the Clifford box and getting rid of it. It should be obvious what is OEM wiring and what is not.

I would also put stock injectors back in. Too many people think more fuel equals more power without realizing there is so much more to it. If there is too much fuel without proper control/tuning it will never run right.
I agree about the injectors! I don't understand blowing money on such a mod on a V6 ... then it not run right! I'm more of a V8 swap guy when viable but that's me. I will take a closer look at the rats nest this weekend and see what's obvious. If at all possible I will try to get it to start on it's own before I begin removing the Clifford system... that way I have a base line of "it started before I removed Clifford, so it should start the same way after"
Old 05-17-2020, 09:24 PM   #4
loudandgreen
AF Newbie

I cut out the Clifford immobilizer set up, 4 wires and it was out. I got some clarification on the starting issue. I was told the car ran after the upgraded injectors, but it started giving him trouble after he got his foot hung in the Clifford system harness. I'm thinking it's just a coincidence because after we got a new battery in it and tightened everything down... it spins over nicely but won't start. I'm not hearing the fuel pump at all, so within the next few days I hope to poke my test light around in the fuel pump connection to see if it's getting power. If it's getting power then the pump is sh*t.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

I think Ford still had the fuel pump cut on on the 97's. The reset should be near the drivers side tail light in the trunk. Make sure that isn't your issue. Once you verify that if you still don't have the fuel pump you could try applying direct power to it to see if it runs that way.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #6
loudandgreen
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
I think Ford still had the fuel pump cut on on the 97's. The reset should be near the drivers side tail light in the trunk. Make sure that isn't your issue. Once you verify that if you still don't have the fuel pump you could try applying direct power to it to see if it runs that way.
Thanks! That switch I've already checked I even unbolted it and reset it manually without thumping it then reconnected it. I'm not sure which pin would be what in the connection to the pump ... I guess I will find out lol.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk