Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Celica
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
celicaST204
AF Newbie

Overheating Problem

hey guys, i just recently replaced the timing belt and water pump on my toyota celica 1996 st205 (5sfe engine) and now my car is overheating after roughly a 30-60 minute drive. the radiator seems to be overheating and boiling/forcing the reservoir tank out through the overflow hole. when refilling the coolant i had to use some water as the 5L bottle of 50/50 coolant i had wasn't enough. i cant see any leaks, i did see bubbles in the radiator with the cap off and engine running however i think that may be due to the reservoir tank being empty. i had never had this problem prior to the timing belt/water pump change. just wondering if anyone might have a diagnosis for this problem.
celicaST204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: Overheating Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicaST204 View Post
hey guys, i just recently replaced the timing belt and water pump on my toyota celica 1996 st205 (5sfe engine) and now my car is overheating after roughly a 30-60 minute drive. the radiator seems to be overheating and boiling/forcing the reservoir tank out through the overflow hole. when refilling the coolant i had to use some water as the 5L bottle of 50/50 coolant i had wasn't enough. i cant see any leaks, i did see bubbles in the radiator with the cap off and engine running however i think that may be due to the reservoir tank being empty. i had never had this problem prior to the timing belt/water pump change. just wondering if anyone might have a diagnosis for this problem.
You may still have air in the system ? Often it is difficult to remove all the air once the cooling system is opened up and requires multiple attempts to be successful . There should be bleed port somewhere on the system generally at the highest point of the system ? Do you have a manual for your Celica - might be worth investing in one .
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Air in the coolant, defective pump, or possibly the belt is off a tooth.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Did you replace the t/stat?
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Park the car on an uphill incline (nose up) & allow to cool. Then remove the cap and "burp" the upper hose by squeezing it until no more bubbles come out. Refill and continue this until squeezing just makes the coolant level rise and fall in the radiator. Next, turn the A/C temp control to hot and start the car and allow to warm up. However, if you have a defective thermostat or coolant fan temperature switch then watch that the temp doesn't climb too high.

Once the thermostat opens up, you will probably see some more bubbles. Add coolant to compensate and cap it once the bubbling stops. Shut the engine off and refill the reservoir.

Hope this helps!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
boil , mechanical , overheat , radiator , repair
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Celica