Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sequoia
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
Jeff34
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florence, Mississippi
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Program Toyota Master Key

Is it possible to program an extra master key myself? Rather than paying the dealer 50 bucks to do it. Since I posted this message I called a friend that worked with Lexus. Gave him the key and SUV. One of his tech guys had to flash the transponder in the key to activate. this was accomplished by inserting it into a key programmer. Once the key was flashed or activated the technician connected the OBD II analyzer to the Sequoia's system to program the key. Could not do this myself. Still had it done for $ 0.00 though. It pays to have friends in the car business.

Last edited by Jeff34; 01-19-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Jeff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:44 AM   #2
ToyotaTech
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 120
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Program Toyota Master Key

In key programmer? I don't think so, the only way to program the key is with the scantool only lexus and Toyota have the same scantool.
ToyotaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:24 AM   #3
MYSEQUOIA03
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Garden Grove, California
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Program Toyota Master Key

There are 2 ways to program the transponder key depend on your model. So far you can program ONBOARD which mean you don't need the programmer. The only you need is current master key (Black one) and the blank transponder key. The transponder key for 2003/2004 has a different chip from 2001/2002.
If your Sequoia is 2001 or 2002, you can purchase the blank key from eBay $19. bring this to any Walmart or hardware store. They can cut this for you then you can program your own.

Last edited by MYSEQUOIA03; 02-19-2004 at 02:05 AM.
MYSEQUOIA03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
msjulian
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Newburgh, Indiana
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Program Toyota Master Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSEQUOIA03
There are 2 ways to program the transponder key depend on your model. So far you can program ONBOARD which mean you don't need the programmer. The only you need is current master key (Black one) and the blank transponder key. The transponder key for 2003/2004 has a different chip from 2001/2002.
If your Sequoia is 2001 or 2002, you can purchase the blank key from eBay $19. bring this to any Walmart or hardware store. They can cut this for you then you can program your own.
I have the key and it is cut now I need to program. What is the correct sequience? I have heard that it is called the brake dance and you have to use the brake and gas pedal. Can anyone send me the correct way to do this and maybe how to clear the computer in case it is full???

Thanks a ton!!
Mike Julian
msjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:01 AM   #5
MYSEQUOIA03
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Garden Grove, California
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Program Toyota Master Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjulian
I have the key and it is cut now I need to program. What is the correct sequience? I have heard that it is called the brake dance and you have to use the brake and gas pedal. Can anyone send me the correct way to do this and maybe how to clear the computer in case it is full???

Thanks a ton!!
Mike Julian
Mike,
Like I said from my previous posted, 2001/2002 Transponder key have difference chip from 2003 and 2004. Make sure you have correct part number.
I am willing to send you a PDF file from TOYOTA dealer manual that included everything you need to program your key. Please leave your email address

Mysequoia03
MYSEQUOIA03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 04:10 PM   #6
msjulian
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Newburgh, Indiana
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Program Toyota Master Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSEQUOIA03
Mike,
Like I said from my previous posted, 2001/2002 Transponder key have difference chip from 2003 and 2004. Make sure you have correct part number.
I am willing to send you a PDF file from TOYOTA dealer manual that included everything you need to program your key. Please leave your email address

Mysequoia03
I have a 2001 and the master key.

I think all I need is the programming instructions. I would also like to be able to clear the computer of all other key codes if possiable. My address is msjulian@sigecom.net

Thanks a ton!!
Mike
msjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:24 AM   #7
renman
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Norco, California
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Program Toyota Master Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSEQUOIA03
Mike,
Like I said from my previous posted, 2001/2002 Transponder key have difference chip from 2003 and 2004. Make sure you have correct part number.
I am willing to send you a PDF file from TOYOTA dealer manual that included everything you need to program your key. Please leave your email address

Mysequoia03
Could you please email me the PDF file for how to program the transponder key for the 2004 Sequoia? My email is r11garcia@yahoo.com. Thanks a lot!
renman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:27 PM   #8
stulloss
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Program Toyota Master Key

I just purchased a 2001 Sequoia. The only key available to me was the grey master key. Here is my problem, the dealership says they have to have a master key (black one) to create another key. Without that they say I am screwed and have to buy a new computer $1000-$1500. They gave me a number to call Toyota National and told me they will purchase the new computer. Toyota National tells me the 2001 models have re-programmable computers. I have called 4 dealerships in the area and none can confirm that it is a reprogrammable computer. Prices for a new master key run $35-$55, the programming if I had a master key would be $30-$75 depending on the dealership. Does anyone have any better, cheaper solutions or ideas for me to explore?
stulloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:44 PM   #9
digitaltinker
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Re: Re: Program Toyota Master Key

Hi,
I have a 2003 Sequoia and wanted to get an additional key. Could you please also email me the PDF file for how to program the transponder key (to digitaltinker@hotmail.com) ? Also, could you possibly tell me if it is possible to program an additional remote (# HYQ12BAN) for the Sequoia. I saw the other post but it looked like that was for a Tacoma. I want to buy an additional remote on ebay but wanted to make sure that I didn't need to go to the dealer $.

Many many thanks in advance.
digitaltinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:32 PM   #10
sequoia01
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Orange, California
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Program Toyota Master Key

Instructions for programming a transponder key.

Prerequisites:
blank transponder key (eBay.com - $20).
pre-programmed master "black" key for the vehicle.


Programming spare keys: for 1998 to 2002

1.. Copy the cuts of the original working key onto the appropriate
transponder blank.

2.. Enter the car and close all of the doors.

3.. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and accelerator pedals.

4.. Within five seconds, insert a working pre-programmed key into the ignition cylinder, and turn to the "on" position.

5.. Within fifteen seconds of turning the ignition, depress and release
the accelerator pedal five times for a primary key. (Depress and release four times for a valet key.)

6.. Within twenty seconds, depress and release the brake pedal six times for a primary key. (Depress and release only times for a valet key.)

7.. Turn the ignition to the "off" position and immediately remove the
key.

8.. Within ten seconds of removing the key, insert the new key and turn it to the "on" position.

9.. Within ten seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal once. The security light will then flash for 60 seconds and then turn off. When the security light stops flashing the programming should be complete.

10.. Start the vehicle to verify that programming was successful.

FOR 2002+
1.Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2.Insert master key into the ignition cylinder.
3.Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF 5 times.
4.Open and close the driver side door 6 times.
5.Remove the master key and insert the new duplicate key.
6.DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON
7.The new key will be registered after 60 seconds.The THEFT light on the
dashboard will go out,indicating that programming has been completed.
"some 2002 will work using the 1998+ programming."
sequoia01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:03 PM   #11
sahan32000
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: baghdad
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Program Toyota Master Key

hi ihave land cruiser and i need to program my blank key please what i need to do it
sahan32000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:52 AM   #12
ToyotaTech
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 120
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Program Toyota Master Key

OK what if the key program is closed by the port or dealer? because in the scan tool setting u have to close the program that programs the keys?
ToyotaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:10 PM   #13
tenunderpar
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wilmington, Massachusetts
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Program Toyota Master Key

A couple of things bother me in my so far unsuccesful attempts to program a new transponder key for my '99 Avalon. The security light never stopped flashing! Should I have had my selt belt fastened? Should my sunroof have been closed? I could go on, but I'm stopping any further attempts until I find out if there is a limit to how many times I can try.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia01
Instructions for programming a transponder key.

Prerequisites:
blank transponder key (eBay.com - $20).
pre-programmed master "black" key for the vehicle.


Programming spare keys: for 1998 to 2002

1.. Copy the cuts of the original working key onto the appropriate
transponder blank.

2.. Enter the car and close all of the doors.

3.. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and accelerator pedals.

4.. Within five seconds, insert a working pre-programmed key into the ignition cylinder, and turn to the "on" position.

5.. Within fifteen seconds of turning the ignition, depress and release
the accelerator pedal five times for a primary key. (Depress and release four times for a valet key.)

6.. Within twenty seconds, depress and release the brake pedal six times for a primary key. (Depress and release only times for a valet key.)

7.. Turn the ignition to the "off" position and immediately remove the
key.

8.. Within ten seconds of removing the key, insert the new key and turn it to the "on" position.

9.. Within ten seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal once. The security light will then flash for 60 seconds and then turn off. When the security light stops flashing the programming should be complete.

10.. Start the vehicle to verify that programming was successful.

FOR 2002+
1.Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2.Insert master key into the ignition cylinder.
3.Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF 5 times.
4.Open and close the driver side door 6 times.
5.Remove the master key and insert the new duplicate key.
6.DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON
7.The new key will be registered after 60 seconds.The THEFT light on the
dashboard will go out,indicating that programming has been completed.
"some 2002 will work using the 1998+ programming."
tenunderpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:08 PM   #14
bobbason
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ellenwood, Georgia
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Program Toyota Master Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulloss
I just purchased a 2001 Sequoia. The only key available to me was the grey master key. Here is my problem, the dealership says they have to have a master key (black one) to create another key. Without that they say I am screwed and have to buy a new computer $1000-$1500. They gave me a number to call Toyota National and told me they will purchase the new computer. Toyota National tells me the 2001 models have re-programmable computers. I have called 4 dealerships in the area and none can confirm that it is a reprogrammable computer. Prices for a new master key run $35-$55, the programming if I had a master key would be $30-$75 depending on the dealership. Does anyone have any better, cheaper solutions or ideas for me to explore?

I just got a toyota sequoia 2002 with just the grey key. Were you ever able to get a new black master key reprogrammed? If so you can you send me the details. Thanks...
bobbason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 10:10 AM   #15
block3
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: huntsville, Texas
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Program Toyota Master Key

I am a locksmith and run into this all the time, never, never go to a dealer for key problems with a Toyota or Lexus, unless you want to pay out the ass.

On the 01-02 Sequoia, the immobilizer system is built into the ECU. Luckily for you they are resetable using a scan tool with the proper software. You should never have to replace the computer on any Toyota/Lexus when you lose keys.

All of them can be reset to accept new keys (most dealers don't know this, so don't ask them). Some can be done with scan tools, some require removal of the ECU or Immobilizer unit and can be reflashed to accept new keys. I do it all the time, I reflash them for my local dealers and auctions, this is a hell of alot cheaper than replacing the ECU at $1100+

I suggest getting in touch with a local locksmith (Must be an auto specialist) that has the required software or you could pull out your ECU (takes about 10 minutes) and send it to me and I can reflash it to accept new keys. Once this is done you can add more yourself using the onboard programming method.
If interested in this service you can visit my website at http://www.hightechcarkeys.com
block3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1999 Toyota 4Runner Key Problem mmahan69 4Runner/GX470 1 02-03-2011 12:30 AM
2005 toyota camry LE master key and remote programming ny17 Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista 2 06-23-2009 04:50 PM
'04 Master Key duplicate programming steps? solara04nubie Solara 1 04-21-2008 12:30 PM
program master key 2003 camry sequence? camry03 Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista 0 09-30-2004 10:09 AM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD


Bookmarks
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sequoia

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts