Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 07:06 PM   #1
chomponmy3000gt
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to chomponmy3000gt
vr4 ... sl...

how can you tell the difference between the vr4 engine and the sl engine.. by look.. because i am not fully sure but i think maybe the person before that owned my car put a vr4 in it .. but i am not sure.. the vr4 is a four cylinder?? juss need to know thanks
chomponmy3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
GritMaster
AF Enthusiast

Theyre nearly identical engines, both are V6's the Vr4 has twin turbos though which should be a dead giveaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanstreetz
For about 700 dollars you can have about 80 horespower at the wheels and about 70 torque.
GritMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:44 PM   #3
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Re: vr4 ... sl...

If you don't know where to look for the turbos...like I was before I owned a vr4. Look at the differences between these 2 engine bays...both are close to stock.

The first is an SL, notice how the bright silver intake plenum connects to the throttle body...that throttle body connects to the intake. If you look at the intake tubing you will see a clear difference between the 2 cars.

Notice on the first (SL) the tube goes directly from the throttle body to the MAS and intake filter
The 2nd (vr4)'s throttle body has a black plastic 'y-pipe' that branches into 2 tubes from the intercoolers, it doesn't go directly to the MAS and air filter, but rather there is a massive web of tubing that directs the air from the intake to the turbos, to the intercoolers, back up to that y-pipe and into the throttle body.

Hope this helps.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
chomponmy3000gt
AF Newbie

mine is a normal sl.. but now that i think of it maybe he put a single turbo in ... hmmmm... i think he did put an after market greddy single turbo on it thats why i can hear the turbo... duh... but what i think threw me offf was i could barley see it and he for got to put an after market bov.. thats the sound i was missing.. so the turbo hasn't been running at full potential i am surprised it hasn't malfuntioned yet... ... but now that i know this i gotta go get the bov and the intake.. i am thinking of getting the hks mega flow intake i heard it is one of the best??... and i am going to go get the load bov... .. i'll probly go tommarow and order the stuff i need.. thanx post back..
Old 12-01-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
chomponmy3000gt
AF Newbie

loud*
Old 12-01-2004, 08:28 PM   #6
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Thourun

You should just look to see if there are turbos/turbo, I'd think he would have mentioned it if there were. Is there a boost gauge? Jeez just look and see, one would be behind the radiator and one on the other side of the engine.
Installed: ESP front precat eliminating downpipe, test pipe, RF-1008 K&N, Dejon tool Y pipe, 1G DSM BOV, MSD wires, Guted rear pre cat, ISSPRO EV Marine boost gauge, IPO MBC, EGR blockoffs, Palm m515 dataloger setup, NGK iridium plugs, SPEC stage II clutch 500ft/lb, 5300k HID plug and play setup.

Soon:Topline Engineering ground wires.

Last edited by Thourun; 12-01-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Thourun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:21 PM   #7
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to talskinyguy

Wtf?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:12 PM   #8
GritMaster
AF Enthusiast

Aftermarket BOV's that make loud sounds are not neccesarily better. and they will likely make your car run richer.

I kind of doubt you have a single turbo. But I might be wrong. Regardless, most of that tubing on the VR4 should still be there, as it still has to connect to the turbo/ intercooler etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanstreetz
For about 700 dollars you can have about 80 horespower at the wheels and about 70 torque.
GritMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:50 AM   #9
PearlGT
AF Enthusiast

research research research

or look under your hood, that would have answered pretty much every question you had by now. If you don't know what a turbo looks like then do a google image search on them and see what you can dig up.

If there is no boost gauge in the car then I highly doubt he was running a turbo unless he tuned it first and took out the gauges but I doubt it. If you're still having trouble then pop your hood and post up a pic of your engine bay and we'll let you know.
PearlGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:35 PM   #10
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth