Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
naveed69
AF Newbie

Advice needed for new car

Hi all , I am planning to buy a new car soon and need some help to make my decision .. right now I m deciding between outback 3.6R Limited 2013 , honda CRV and acura RDX (i knw its a higher class thn subaru/honda but costs around $36k whch is almost same as higher trims of CRV/outback) .. my previous cars were honda civic and toyota corolla .. but now m lookin for somethin bigger cz i need more space for car seats n kid strollers along with other stuff ..

my main concern is average maintenance costs .. i knw tht honda doesnt cost tht mch but i hv no idea abt acura n subaru .. i m plannin to keep the car for at least 7 - 8 yrs .. on average i drive abt $15k per year .. i need some unbiased advice tht which car has higher maintenance costs and which one is best worth of my money .. and whch one has best resale value

any help is appreciated !!
naveed69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Re: Advice needed for new car

I've actually grown to be a fan of Subarus over the years, while mainly dealing with Hondas/Acuras and Mitsubishis (Evolutions & Eclipses/DSMs).

With that said, I'd recommend the Honda or Acura over the Subaru. I say that based on engine design alone. It's not that the Subaru boxer engines are poorly made, or more prone to wear. They are simply more difficult to work on. I say this generally, as I've never even looked under the hood of a new Outback, let alone a 6-cylinder one. I've done some work on WRXs, older style Outbacks, and Foresters. The simple job of changing spark plugs is a major pain, with 2 spark plugs on each side of the engine, there tends not to be a lot of room to even get a socket and extension into the spark plug hole. Luckily you're not asking about the Subaru BRZ, that requires the engine to be lifted in the air, the front parts of the exhaust to be removed, and every underside panel to be removed, just to change the plugs. Special tools are required to change the timing belt, that hold the front of the timing gears. It's really a serious pain in the ass, to be honest. In terms of a shops maintenance cost, that tends to be more expensive, since there is more time involved.

The RDX will likely have the highest resale value, since it's an Acura.

Beyond that, honestly any of those will likely be a great choice.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CivicSpoon For This Useful Post:
naveed69 (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
naveed69
AF Newbie

If subaru is so much trouble to maintain then why u became fond of it ?? just wondering
naveed69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

I just think they are nice cars. They're visually pleasing. Their AWD systems are great, and I like that they incorporate them into all their vehicles. The boxer style engines are also a very interesting style. Not at all fun to work on, but otherwise nice.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #5
Mayeren
AF Newbie

Go with any Toyota brands if you are looking for Average and maintenance.
Mayeren is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion