Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
sassygrrl32aa
AF Newbie

Honda Accord vs Others

Before I get started, up til now I've owned Fords and quite honestly love them. PLease don't bash me for owning a Ford. MY taurus did pretty well but could have done better. That's why I'm here. I want to do some research before I pick another car.

I test drove a new Honda accord and liked it but it's out of my price range.

My main questions and I understand that you may not know some of the answers. I'm just gathering info right now.

The main car I'm considering is an accord. It has to be bigger. I would consider a toyota but I don't like the Camry. Do like the new avalon but out of price range.

The average life of an accord engine before conking out or needing major work? By that I mean valves, pistons, rings, etc.
Average transmission life?
Are there warning signs before it stalls out? Been lucky in that respect, I always got something even if it was small. I do alot of highway driving out of town so this is very important.

Are there any yrs that are better or worse than others?
What about safety?

My price range is around 10,000 and I could probably go to 12,000.

I wish there was a website that shows statistics on the average life of cars.

The one thing I don't like about the accord and why oh why do they put a timing belt on a 6 cylinder(this was for 2011)? But a timing chain in a four? I want better gas mileage so that's my consideration. Is this is the same in older accords?

While I'm here I have one other question. What is the difference between a 16 valve DOHC and 16 valve SOHC. Happened to see this on some Honda's at the dealership and mentioned it to the salesman. He said he really didn't know what was under the hood of the Honda.

Sorry for combining the two questions.

Thanks in advance....
sassygrrl32aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
Kenank
AF Newbie

Re: Honda Accord vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassygrrl32aa View Post
Before I get started, up til now I've owned Fords and quite honestly love them. PLease don't bash me for owning a Ford. MY taurus did pretty well but could have done better. That's why I'm here. I want to do some research before I pick another car.

I test drove a new Honda accord and liked it but it's out of my price range.

My main questions and I understand that you may not know some of the answers. I'm just gathering info right now.

The main car I'm considering is an accord. It has to be bigger. I would consider a toyota but I don't like the Camry. Do like the new avalon but out of price range.

The average life of an accord engine before conking out or needing major work? By that I mean valves, pistons, rings, etc.
Average transmission life?
Are there warning signs before it stalls out? Been lucky in that respect, I always got something even if it was small. I do alot of highway driving out of town so this is very important.

Are there any yrs that are better or worse than others?
What about safety?

My price range is around 10,000 and I could probably go to 12,000.

I wish there was a website that shows statistics on the average life of cars.

The one thing I don't like about the accord and why oh why do they put a timing belt on a 6 cylinder(this was for 2011)? But a timing chain in a four? I want better gas mileage so that's my consideration. Is this is the same in older accords?

While I'm here I have one other question. What is the difference between a 16 valve DOHC and 16 valve SOHC. Happened to see this on some Honda's at the dealership and mentioned it to the salesman. He said he really didn't know what was under the hood of the Honda.

Sorry for combining the two questions.

Thanks in advance....
Liked your share alot..I think Accord is best.
Kenank is offline   Reply With Quote