Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
jd87sep
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jd87sep
Excessive Fuel Use in Cold Weather

1992 Camaro RS TBI.
I left the house with a full tank today. I was driving to school(Which is 3 miles MAX from my house) and noticed my fuel was just being eaten. I only sat at like two lights for no longer than 3 minutes combined. When arriving to school I only had a quarter of a tank. Talk about horrible gas mileage. When I originally got the car I had to replace the Catalytic Converters because they would get so hot that they would burn the carpet. If I let the car run and don't move, it still does that. I never get Service Engine lights while it's cold like that, but when I do get them, it's only when driving down the freeway at a constant speed for a period of time. When I got the codes pulled they were EGR not working properly and MAF/MAP too high. I don't know much about these computer systems, if anyone could suggest anything, or has had related or identical problems, your input would be greatly appreciated.

1992 Camaro RS TBI.
jd87sep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
97cavalier
AF Enthusiast

Re: Excessive Fuel Use in Cold Weather

ya the heat problem make shure you have a heat shield, and usaily when exhaust heats up that much, it means it is running lean, but in your case i don't know. Check to make shure it is not leaking any where. And does it sputter any? Hesitate? i would replace the egr valve and the maf sencer they are not that high. I would start with the maf first, it is cheeper.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
jd87sep
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jd87sep

no sputters, leaks, or anything of that nature. When the car gets warmed up, it's completely fine, but when cold, i cant afford to drive it, seeing as they make me go to high school, leaving work only a few hours a day.

1992 Camaro RS TBI.
jd87sep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
AFI 05
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to AFI 05

MAF sensor is expensive.. yeah, check if you have a heat shield between your cats and your 'floor'. maaan that sounds like horrible gas mileage, thats a real pickle... nice looking car though.

1990 IROC-Z 5.7 TPI (1 out of 4,213 IROC's made in 1990) Only mod is magnaflow 3" cat back and K&N filters... im broke.
AFI 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:47 AM   #5
malletslinger
AF Enthusiast

If you have a Haynes Manual, turn to chapter 6, section 7...it tells you all about the EGR system and tells you how to check and work on it. The EGR system is probably the reason for the hot cats.
If you dont have a Haynes, get one
Check the ignition timing(that can make the car overheat and burn more fuel)
Also, check all vacuum hoses and check the MAP sensor.
Let the manual be your basic guide
malletslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions