Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Nova | Prizm | Spectrum | Sprint
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
mika3585
AF Newbie

need help car wont move

okay today i was driving my car on the highway and it was slowing down fast and i pulled over and now it wony move its like its stuck in neutral i have a 1995 geo prizm 5 spreed manual car what to do i don't what to do and is a vw passat 1999 or a audi a4 2002 is a good car and what is a stage clutch

Last edited by mika3585; 08-25-2011 at 02:53 PM.
mika3585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
PressKean
AF Newbie

Re: need help car wont move

Hello. In order for anyone to help you in this case, you'll need to provide more details. First things first, can you start your car? If you can't, check your starter or your battery. If your car can start just fine, then this is where you'll need to read my comments.

1. Check whether your RPM is rising whenever you step the accelerator. If it does,
2. Check if you're handbrake is the one that has problem. It's the same concept as any electronics. Your handbrake may be broken and even when you let it go, it might still be applying the brakes.
3. Check if your transmission is working properly. Sometimes, if a vehicle is old and doesn't get serviced properly, there would be problem shifting gears. Is your car manual or auto?

Does you car budge a little higher when you accelerate? If that's the case, your handbrakes might be the problem..
Old 08-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

Since you mention that your car is a manual, you might have a clutch that is shot. If it's a manual clutch (not hydraulic) it may be adjustable, but if it's so far out of adjustment that your car won't move, chances are pretty good it needs something more than just an adjustment. Were there signs of clutch slippage leading up to this issue?

Another area to check would be for a broken CV joint or half shaft axle. With the front differential in the transaxle, if one of the joints or shafts breaks, the differential will keep the car from moving much, if any.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
jdmccright
The RustBuster

To answer the second half of his run-on question, I think that the VW or the Audi are huge steps up from the Metro. Reliability is average for both but the Audi would be more fun. Insurance for both would be much higher too, especially the Audi. Finally, the VW might not need it, but most Audis require premium gasoline. Make sure you can afford the higher fuel costs when making this big of a step.

I'm guessing you resolved the no-go problem...hope it worked out.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
PressKean
AF Newbie

Hello. Is your problem already solved? I'm pretty sure we'll love to know if it has been solved.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
mika3585
AF Newbie

yes the car did get fix around halloween last year and now i lose the engine because if money problem and trying to fix it keep on being push back by my dad when i keep trying to get it fix do now i am getting a new car
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

heythankyoufortakingthetimetoupdatethisthreadwerea llyappreciateitverymuchandespeciallythatyoudidntgo intodetailonwhatthefixwasandhowyoukilledyourengine imguessingyoubrokethetimingorheadgasketright
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
mika3585
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricebike View Post
heythankyoufortakingthetimetoupdatethisthreadwerea llyappreciateitverymuchandespeciallythatyoudidntgo intodetailonwhatthefixwasandhowyoukilledyourengine imguessingyoubrokethetimingorheadgasketright
no my dad keep pushing back my oil change. and the lifters needed replace so when i fanilly got a oil change there was oil stabilizer was put in and not taking out so with that it killed it