Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
wymi
AF Regular

Question PCV location on a 2001 Altima?

Anyone know where the PCV is located on a 2001 Altima?

Thanks.
wymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
JustSayGo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JustSayGo Send a message via Skype™ to JustSayGo
Re: PCV location on a 2001 Altima?

The PCV valve on Altimas looks different than what has been common for years on most engines. The PCV valve is located at the drive belt side of the engine under the intake manifold and attached to the breather/separator. Access from above is very difficult; access the valve from underneath the vehicle. There is a short hose that connects to the breather/separator. Remove the breather/separator and the hose. Then you can unscrew the PCV valve from the breather/separator for easy inspection and cleaning of each piece. Also inspect both passages where the separator and hose connect. Here is a picture of the valve after it is removed. The breather/separator is a small aluminum housing that will fit in your hand.

http://www.rockauto.com/ref/SMP/SMPD....html?V277.jpg

Obviously the PCV system is more difficult to service on Altima engines than the more familiar design on so many other engines. A restriction in the PCV system will increase crankcase pressure. This pressure inside your engine will push oil out where ever it can find a place to leak, including into the distributor.
JustSayGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
wymi
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayGo
The PCV valve on Altimas looks different than what has been common for years on most engines. The PCV valve is located at the drive belt side of the engine under the intake manifold and attached to the breather/separator. Access from above is very difficult; access the valve from underneath the vehicle. There is a short hose that connects to the breather/separator. Remove the breather/separator and the hose. Then you can unscrew the PCV valve from the breather/separator for easy inspection and cleaning of each piece. Also inspect both passages where the separator and hose connect. Here is a picture of the valve after it is removed. The breather/separator is a small aluminum housing that will fit in your hand.

Obviously the PCV system is more difficult to service on Altima engines than the more familiar design on so many other engines. A restriction in the PCV system will increase crankcase pressure. This pressure inside your engine will push oil out where ever it can find a place to leak, including into the distributor.
Thanks for the info. The PCV I got from the dealer is the push in type and does not have any threads. I believe Nissan changed over to the push in type in 2000. I did figure out the valve is buried under the intake after doing a lot of research. I was hoping the pcv was part of the jittery idle problem I get once the car is warmed up and in gear. I think the problem may be a leaking intake gasket. I am going to spray intake cleaner around the manifold and see if the idle goes up indicating a leak. It seems the intake leak is quite common on these motors. I don't have any engine lights or other symptoms, I am aso going to clean/replace the iac valve & throttle body in hopes that is whats causing the shaky idle.

Thanks again for your response.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
futilepursuit
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to futilepursuit

I read online at Consumer Reports that this valve can be responsible for a light rattle under the hood. My car has a light rattle under the hood. Should I check this PCV thing out?
futilepursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
wymi
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by futilepursuit
I read online at Consumer Reports that this valve can be responsible for a light rattle under the hood. My car has a light rattle under the hood. Should I check this PCV thing out?
Can u post the article where u read about the pcv causing a light rattle?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
mary pawlowski
AF Newbie

Red face Re: PCV location on a 2001 Altima?

I can not access this webpage?

Has this been taken off or is there another site I can see pictures of
the location of PCV valve?
mary pawlowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #7
JustSayGo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JustSayGo Send a message via Skype™ to JustSayGo

JustSayGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #8