Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Whats the Best American Car
Corvette ZO6 27 50.94%
Viper 19 35.85%
Mustang Cobra R 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 09:43 AM   #91
Blue02R6
AF Enthusiast

Oh, ok I was wrong I don't keep up on dodge. I was not aware that the SRT/10 was available yet. (I've been too busy with bikes). Neutrino, have you driven one? I've driven C5s but not vipers. I wasn't trying to say it was a drag car, I was comparing what I know... say an '02 Z06 to an '02 Viper. Not that I didn't say this before but with average drivers (everybody who isn't a pro) the vette would have the forgiving factor. With a pro at the helm Vipers all the way, yet we are talking road cars. So for the masses (between 02 as I'm unfamilari with '03s) a Vette on a road course probably would be faster. Oh, and one last thing I'll never read Motor Trend, Car and Driver, or Road and Track again they skew information way to much, and in comparisions the win is to the highest bidder.
1969 Pontiac Firebird

I might get my '02 SS back....
Blue02R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:51 AM   #92
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
yeah i do agree with you on this one....for the average driver the zo6 will prove easier to control and faster.......

about motor trend i ussually don't read it that much myself but that comparison was the most trourough that i've even seen in a mag.....same conditions same pro driver and extensive testing etc....

i jumped so bad because....there were several posts, mainly in the honda forum, about how the viper handles like a truck and the only thing is has going for it is the power....so i was anoyed by those posts.....

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:54 AM   #93
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino
i jumped so bad because....there were several posts, mainly in the honda forum, about how the viper handles like a truck and the only thing is has going for it is the power....so i was anoyed by those posts.....
Look at where you read the posts
DkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:00 AM   #94
Blue02R6
AF Enthusiast

It's all good. When you really get down to it handling is personal feeling, me I like a car to understeer in the snap and oversteer out, thats why I drive a fiero. Honda owners generally think that their cars out handle (and perform) most everything else. Yet why do they allways back out on corners? I'm not downing the cars just the owners I've met by the way.
1969 Pontiac Firebird

I might get my '02 SS back....
Blue02R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:23 AM   #95
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
yeah i know i know i had that coming but sometimes i'm bored and i hang out all over the forum

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 12:56 PM   #96
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:
Originally posted by v10_viper

Well yeah, BMW tried racing the M3 with a V-8 in it, but no V-8 M3's were produced, I still don't see any 427 Corvettes being produced...hmm.....seems like they should get the boot too, but no they must be favored so they're kept ok.

Yeah and when the C6 Z06 does come out, Viper will still be on top. Corvette isn't going to go from 405 hp, up to 500 hp, just like that.

If I could find the damn magazine, the Mosler, STOCK!!! only goes around 150, once I find the data, I'll post it so it shows your the one wrong, hell any car can be rated up to 200 mph, ya know what, the Vipers' can do 250 with the right amount of power.

You still can't handle the Viper beating the Corvette can you?? You keep sayin, oh when this car comes out etc. Lay off it.
There's a big difference between taking a stock LS1 block, siamesing it's bores and putting it in your racecar and taking out the stock motor and replacing it with something completely different. The ONLY difference architecturally between the C5-Rs motor and the typical LS6 is siamesed bores, the rest (dry sump, intakes, etc) all can be traded over. BMW stuck a V8 where an I-6 once was, I would expect GM to be branded as they were if they stuck a V10 where the V8 was in the Corvette, your argument still holds no water.

You're wrong about the mosler, give it up, a STOCK CORVETTE can do 170 MPH, the mosler with better aerodynamics and more power will do more then 150 MPH. Besides that, IT STILL DOESN'T MATTER, the viper would need a straight like Mulsanne to catch the Mosler and thats only IF it can keep up through the turns, which obviously it won't, and it shouldn't since the Mosler is an engineered racecar for the street.

I'm not going to talk about the C6 Z06 because noone knows what it will be, but I honestly don't care what it does in terms of power, the current Z06 is a few tenths slower with 100 less HP, I'm fine with that. the current Z06 also HANDLES just as well as the SRT-10, although it does get beaten pretty soundly in the braking department, hats off to dodge for that, but it is dodge after all, if they can do it GM will have no problems beating it.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 01:40 PM   #97
stangvette1
Banned

v10_viper, you are the freakin retard. You think that the viper is god! Newsflash, it ISN'T!!! My point is that the cobra and Z06 are almost as good and as fast as the viper for a lot less money!!! And if you can't see that you are a freakin dumbASS!!!!!
stangvette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 03:39 PM   #98
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
One thing I must say about Motor Trend is that I wouldn't discredit them. If they say something good about as Chrysler product then it is probably true because they have always been so biased against Chrysler which is why I don't read Motor Trend. That being said I must address what you had to say Stangvette. Nothing annoys me more than people that just say something sucks and they give NO reason as to why it sucks no opinion and not even any facts. If your bias for saying the Viper sucks is because of its price then you're the idiot. I don't see why people bitch about the Viper's price. I don't hear people bitching about how overpriced Audis are, or how certain Porsches are too expensive, or how about the MASSIVLY over priced Acura NSX! I NEVER hear anyone complain about these cars, but all the time I hear it about the Viper and it is plain BULLSHIT! All you can find wrong with the Viper is the price. Well how many times does it have to be explained to you? The Viper isn't more simply because it is faster in EVERY respect than the Z06 and the Cobra R. You are paying for a hand built car while the other two are mass produced on assembly lines. You get better interior. The Vette has been said to have some of the cheapest looking interior on the market. You are getting a better quality car with more potential mod for mod, you're getting the fastest production car out of the box, and you’re getting exclusivity. I can count one hand how many Vipers I've seen here in Utah but there are MORE than enough Mustangs and Corvettes. Lastly you're paying for an exotic car. It has all the qualities of an exotic car. That makes the Viper in higher class than the Vette and the Stang. Those are the same reasons you’ll have to pay so much for the new GT-40 when it comes out, and I for one won’t bitch about the price.

Some of you are so hung up on your bias that you can't even see that. I will not refute that the Cobra R and Vette are great cars because they are. I guess the Viper's problem is that it doesn't have the heritage the other two do.

Now I must say one more thing about LeMans. Dodge got screwed. They always do. They engineer a better car and someone has to bitch about it and the officials screw Dodge. It happened in NASCAR and it happened in LeMans.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 05:55 PM   #99
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
The Viper isn't more simply because it is faster in EVERY respect than the Z06 and the Cobra R. You are paying for a hand built car while the other two are mass produced on assembly lines.
Eh? How so? Only 300 Cobra Rs were made. Doesnt sound like Mass produced to me!
Old 07-25-2003, 06:13 PM   #100
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally posted by DkShadow

Eh? How so? Only 300 Cobra Rs were made. Doesnt sound like Mass produced to me!
Yes and a great point, I had a feeling someone would bring that up. There are very few Cobra R out there, but what about the GT and V6. I am not just talking about the Cobra I am talking about all models of Corvette and Mustang. The Corvette is much more exclusive than the Mustang but the Viper has them both beat. There aren't any hugely produced versions of the Viper like there are with the Mustang. The Corvette only has two models but the Viper being hand built means there are going to be a lot less Vipers than Corvettes.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:19 PM   #101
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

I know i was just poking fun at you... hence the ... and SVT hand build their engines and other things

Quote:
Originally posted by Polygon

Yes and a great point, I had a feeling someone would bring that up. There are very few Cobra R out there, but what about the GT and V6. I am not just talking about the Cobra I am talking about all models of Corvette and Mustang. The Corvette is much more exclusive than the Mustang but the Viper has them both beat. There aren't any hugely produced versions of the Viper like there are with the Mustang. The Corvette only has two models but the Viper being hand built means there are going to be a lot less Vipers than Corvettes.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:32 PM   #102
stangvette1
Banned

Most people have a tendency to either love ford or chevy and hate dodge. Most people make fun of dodge. That's the point of view I've seen in Oklahoma. Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but in oklahoma it's either ford or chevy. Look at car and truck sales. Most people prefer ford and chevy. The viper is OVERPRICED! The cobra and the Z06 are both its american competitors, and they don't cost near what the viper costs. As far as hand-built things go, every one of svt's motors are hand -built. I don't know about the Z06. There are other cars that are over-priced. All porsches, lambos, ferraris, and saleens are all a HUGE rip-off! I am a huge ford fan but it's stupid to spend 150k on a ford GT. The next cobra is rumored to have the same 500hp engine for 40k.
P.S. The viper is a great performance car and will beat both the cobra and the Z06, but for about 1000 dollars the cobra and Z06 will both be eating 80000 dollar vipers for lunch!
stangvette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:26 PM   #103
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Quote:
Originally posted by stangvette1
Most people have a tendency to either love ford or chevy and hate dodge. Most people make fun of dodge. That's the point of view I've seen in Oklahoma. Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but in oklahoma it's either ford or chevy. Look at car and truck sales. Most people prefer ford and chevy. The viper is OVERPRICED! The cobra and the Z06 are both its american competitors, and they don't cost near what the viper costs. As far as hand-built things go, every one of svt's motors are hand -built. I don't know about the Z06. There are other cars that are over-priced. All porsches, lambos, ferraris, and saleens are all a HUGE rip-off! I am a huge ford fan but it's stupid to spend 150k on a ford GT. The next cobra is rumored to have the same 500hp engine for 40k.
P.S. The viper is a great performance car and will beat both the cobra and the Z06, but for about 1000 dollars the cobra and Z06 will both be eating 80000 dollar vipers for lunch!
There is a reason the Z06 and Cobra are cheaper than the Viper- The Viper has a suprisingly high level of build quality for an American maker, the Viper is brawnier, torquier and more advanced than either the Cobra or Z06- It is the only US mass-made supercar that can compete with the European supercars. the Z06 comes close to them and the Cobra doesn't stand a chance. So of course I go for the Viper- Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep are ahead of thier American counterparts by years

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:58 PM   #104
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimster
The Viper has a suprisingly high level of build quality for an American maker
Try making a point out of that against Skyline34GT500 whatever his name is
Old 07-26-2003, 01:04 AM   #105
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Quote:
Originally posted by stangvette1
v10_viper, you are the freakin retard. You think that the viper is god! Newsflash, it ISN'T!!! My point is that the cobra and Z06 are almost as good and as fast as the viper for a lot less money!!! And if you can't see that you are a freakin dumbASS!!!!!
Grow up If your old enough to own a car, your old enough to act immature, so do it instead of being the fool and posting such a thickheaded statement.

So GM is allowed to bore their engines out?? Why can't Dodge, or any other manufacturer do this?? Oh, and bad thing for you, I found the magazine, it's pitiful, with 30 more horsepower then the Z06, the Mosler only tops out at 165. Are u sure a Mosler would beat it? I will not say it can't, but with the Viper's better braking capability, it would have the ability of braking later then the Mosler, and if it was a course where speeds were above 150 mph, Viper might have it, because looking at all of these stats the Viper is so damn close to it on everything. FYRHWK, I really recommend you getting the June issue of Motor Trend for you to take a look at that comparo, if you haven't already. And on right turns, with that Mosler's light weight and the driver seating, it's ratings on huggin the corners are worse then the Viper's. Infact, both the Viper's right and left turning capability are damn close to the same, where the Mosler's changes dramatically. If you want further specs then I'll be glad to post them. And Poly, I agree on you, most magazines are biased against Chrysler products, this is why I buy Mopar Now, Mopar Action, And Mopar Muscle magazines, if you dont read them I suggest you do, nothin like reading about those lucky few who have 426 Hemi's and 440's and all the others. That's also where I have found the information on their 655 cid V-8, amazing what it can do on pump gas. Oh, and once again, stangvette, grow up, nobody appreciates posts like that.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote