Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #136
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

again, a thread about running 12's in an evo...
stock.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=70257
Old 05-06-2004, 03:37 PM   #137
MACHTHIS
AF Newbie

Here, let me restate this.. I have beat an evo, I have seen at least 2 or 3 others all run consistent mid 13's, and also saw one hit a 13.2 or something similar.. I have no problem beating them, so I don't care really what they run. The problem I have with them is I can pull on them after take off, running any speed, so therefore, its impossible to get beat by one in my mach unless I stall. I am not crazy about evos, sti's, and all those cars similar to those. I don't hate any car, but I do hate when I get on a new forum and all they want to do is argue. I am not going to argue, I have beat one, and the time on my slips beat any times I have ever seen a stock evo or sti run. I am finished with this forum, and I will not return to this site due to immaturity. I came on here to learn about cars, not to have to back mine up to people that know nothing about them. Good luck in all your races, and drive safe.. I'm out..
Old 05-06-2004, 03:41 PM   #138
Jabberwocky
AF Newbie

Stock for stock the evo has a slight cornering advantage mainly due to it's 4 wheel drive and lighter weight. When prep for the track, I'm inclined to say that a Fbody will beat up on an EVO. There are ton's of guys out there road racing thier firebirds and camaros. And although both cars have tremendous aftermarket support, here in the US, there are alot more camaro's that carve corners. With good suspension work, a camaro will turn as fast as a Z06.

The EVO has slightly better brakes, stopping in 115ft compared to the 120ft of a camaro. But more of that is weight. With aftermarket brake kits, it is going to be very hard to tell who will stop better. Especially if aftermarket Z06 parts are used on the camaro.

Stock for stock, an LS1 will be faster. In a quarter mile only slightly faster, but on road race course, alot faster. The EVO launches hard, but from then on the LS1 has a 60 hp advantage and a wider powerband. In a quarter mile, the EVO will take the lead, then midway, the 2 cars will be dead even. Eventually the LS1 will pull ahead. On a race course, say goodbye to the launch advantage. The 4wd will put down power slightly better coming out of corners, but the camaro can run freaking wide race rubber on the back, that really helps it in laying down power.

I prefer the LS1, simply because the engine has more potential than the 4G63. The LS1 can be resleeve to 427 cubic inches or roughly 7.0 liters. The block will take C5R heads designed purely for racing. This roughly translates to around 600horses without a turbo. (PS I think the may 2003 issue of GM hitech performance had a camaro with such an engine, check it out yourself if you want). The block can possibly do over 1000 with a supercharger. The 4G63 as good as it is, will not produce that much power reliably. I don't think it can do more than around 600hp on pump gas. The ones built up to 800-900hp were quarter mile machines, they would overheat if you ever tried to take them to a road race. It would lose power anyways as it gets heated. The LS1 built to C5R specs however, will be very much like the C5R engine they used in the 24 hour le mans. A monster of an engine that's very powerful, very strong, very durable.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:41 PM   #139
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

turbo charged vehicles ar very noticeably slower when hot outside simply from the hot air swooping through the intercooler. the evo-8 has been run at 13.1 more th an once its proven that it can hit those times. a evo-8 would definately be a lot faster on a cool day or at night, definatley. a ls1 transam is a 13.5 sec car on average, this i've seen plenty of. so on a hot day at low alttitude the ls1 should have the advantage, but they would both be very close drivers. race on a cool day or night the advantage goes to the evo-8 still a drivers race.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:50 PM   #140
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

you're leaving b/c we're arguing?
this is a car comparison forum.
what do you expect to happen in here?
amazing.

i'm not saying that you can't beat an evo. you beat an evo where you live.

what happens when you run someone with more driving skill in their stock evo, and they out run you?
are you going to sit back and claim that it's modded?

come on...
seriously.
so you race people who run their evo's around 13.3.
there are people who can run them stock faster than that, and into the 12's.

why is that so difficult to understand?

it's all about driver.

realize that. it's what you came to do, learn.

i'm giving you a lesson... read up...
Old 05-06-2004, 03:50 PM   #141
Jabberwocky
AF Newbie

Stock for stock in a drag race, it will go to whoever has better tires. Based on factory times though, the LS1 is faster.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #142
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Stock for stock, an LS1 will be faster. In a quarter mile only slightly faster, but on road race course, alot faster. The EVO launches hard, but from then on the LS1 has a 60 hp advantage and a wider powerband. In a quarter mile, the EVO will take the lead, then midway, the 2 cars will be dead even. Eventually the LS1 will pull ahead. On a race course, say goodbye to the launch advantage. The 4wd will put down power slightly better coming out of corners, but the camaro can run freaking wide race rubber on the back, that really helps it in laying down power.
the ls1 is going to better on a road course?
stock?
you sure about that?

the evo is a handling machine.
end of story.

i'm interested as to how you can get through 10 pages of people agreeing (more or less) that the evo is mildly slower in the 1/4, but would eat the road course...

and now you're disagreeing? hmm... any reason (a good reason) for why you'd think an F-body would handle better than an evo on a road course?

60hp advantage is nothing if you can't attack corners as aggressively as an evo...

think about it.
it's not just the car with more power (on a road course) that wins the race.
it's the car with the highest average speed.
that's achieved through handling ability, which is where the evo outshines the f body by a long shot.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:53 PM   #143
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylwsi
you're leaving b/c we're arguing?
this is a car comparison forum.
what do you expect to happen in here?
amazing.
Isnt it just? Oh well, some people get offended if you dont take their view on something... nm
Old 05-06-2004, 03:55 PM   #144
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

jay, i know what you're saying 100%...

stock times are over/under rated depending...
it comes down to real world testing.

i'm sure you could get a pro racer into each car, and get them both far quicker than the factory times...

that's why this is a real world question, not a factory/magazine times question...
Old 05-06-2004, 03:59 PM   #145
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

hehe.. That wasnt a sarcastic comment or aimed at you if thats the way you understood it. I just find it funny when people join the forum and get irritated that in the CAR COMPARISONS FORUM, someone has a different opinion. Shame the newb left, anyway, its his loss
Old 05-06-2004, 04:01 PM   #146
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

(i know it wasn't aimed at me... but i know that i'm part of the group that gets imbedded in these threads...)

he's doing what he told us he didn't want...
he got just as heated as we/i did, but we shouldn't do that...

what's good for the goose...

at any rate, i think this comparo has done well, people just don't want to believe that an evo can do what i've proved... (1/4 mile AND handling wise)
Old 05-06-2004, 05:09 PM   #147
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

I wanted to see those time-slips because most of the camaro guys have smoked mach 1s by a few lengths, now he is saying he can pretty much beat an LS1... that is kinda fishy to me.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #148
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

Oh, and about what "norm" is, I don't want to say average, with means 50% higher 50% lower, but is like "standard". You can't say any car, LS1 or Evo is a 12 sec car becasue of a few instances. Really good drivers, like ones who get Mach 1s under 13.1, and factory freaks can happen. I'm saying, the Standard time for an Evo 8 is not 12.9. Nor is it for the LS1 F-body (Vette yes) but they both have hit it. I still think that the standard time for the LS1 is a little higher than the Evo.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:37 PM   #149
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

its all about the driver buddy
Old 05-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #150
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

you say standard time is higher, meaning the ls1 is faster, right?
so it's "lower", numerically...
i don't doubt that.

but people have doubted that an evo could get into the 12's stock... which can be done.
just like an ls1 can.

agreed?

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons