Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Whats the Best American Car
Corvette ZO6 27 50.94%
Viper 19 35.85%
Mustang Cobra R 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 03:47 AM   #106
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by stangvette1
The viper is OVERPRICED! The cobra and the Z06 are both its american competitors, and they don't cost near what the viper costs. As far as hand-built things go, every one of svt's motors are hand -built. I don't know about the Z06. There are other cars that are over-priced. All porsches, lambos, ferraris, and saleens are all a HUGE rip-off! I am a huge ford fan but it's stupid to spend 150k on a ford GT. The next cobra is rumored to have the same 500hp engine for 40k.
P.S. The viper is a great performance car and will beat both the cobra and the Z06, but for about 1000 dollars the cobra and Z06 will both be eating 80000 dollar vipers for lunch!

you just don't get the concept of an exotic car do you.....fine just laugh at me when i'll buy my enzo.....i'll be to busy having fun driving to notice you

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:58 PM   #107
stangvette1
Banned

I didn't mean that exotics wouldn't be fun to drive, but I'm sure I would have just as much fun in anyone of these fast cars in this comparison. The viper is a good car, but its horsepower-to-dollar ratio sucks!! This is america!! People ususally try to find the best bargain that is available. The cobra and Z06 fit that description. They are much cheaper, and they still promise AWESOME PERFORMANCE. You do not have to spend a lot to get a lot!! To me, 3-5 tenths in the quarter is not worth having to spend that much more money!!!
stangvette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 01:56 PM   #108
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:
Originally posted by v10_viper

Grow up If your old enough to own a car, your old enough to act immature, so do it instead of being the fool and posting such a thickheaded statement.

So GM is allowed to bore their engines out?? Why can't Dodge, or any other manufacturer do this?? Oh, and bad thing for you, I found the magazine, it's pitiful, with 30 more horsepower then the Z06, the Mosler only tops out at 165. Are u sure a Mosler would beat it? I will not say it can't, but with the Viper's better braking capability, it would have the ability of braking later then the Mosler, and if it was a course where speeds were above 150 mph, Viper might have it, because looking at all of these stats the Viper is so damn close to it on everything. FYRHWK, I really recommend you getting the June issue of Motor Trend for you to take a look at that comparo, if you haven't already. And on right turns, with that Mosler's light weight and the driver seating, it's ratings on huggin the corners are worse then the Viper's. Infact, both the Viper's right and left turning capability are damn close to the same, where the Mosler's changes dramatically. If you want further specs then I'll be glad to post them. And Poly, I agree on you, most magazines are biased against Chrysler products, this is why I buy Mopar Now, Mopar Action, And Mopar Muscle magazines, if you dont read them I suggest you do, nothin like reading about those lucky few who have 426 Hemi's and 440's and all the others. That's also where I have found the information on their 655 cid V-8, amazing what it can do on pump gas. Oh, and once again, stangvette, grow up, nobody appreciates posts like that.
you HONESTLY think your 3200 LB or whatever viper outbrakes a 2200 lb mosler for real, that's rich. The only reason the mosler broke so poorly for it's design is the brakes are intended for much hotter usage, they were simply too cold to work properly, couple that with an incapable driver and you get these results. The Viper does not outbrake nor outhandle the Mosler, the nearly 1000 lb difference simply doesnt allow for it given 2 proper brake systems for each car.

You need to get your head out of the magazines, one driver who prefers the viper means nothing when you have other comparisons proving the Z06 to perform at a level not shown by the Viper, I have yet to see Dodge send their best driver ot to challenge Porsches 911 turbo and their best driver, whether the Viper could do it or not doesn't matter, it hasn't yet, when it has then we'll talk. Some magazine articles are good, the ones where the drivers are supplied by the company themselves are usually the only ones you can trust, and even thent eh writers will add their own opinions, at least they publish proper laptimes in those kind.

the Mosler has the power and aerodynamics to do more then 165 MPH, that much is obvious, if the corvette can do 170 on 350 HP and a .29 to .32 Cd then the mosler will do the same with ease, it'll do MORE with the extra power and aerodynamics as well. Who wuold I rather believe, a sucessful manufacturer who built the car or some dipshit magazine editor who thinks he can drive? that's like A magazine claiming the viper could only do 150 MPH because thats all the higher they got it up to.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 02:37 PM   #109
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
stangvette...yes you are right the performance to price ratio of exotics will always suck......its like getting a bulgari watch you pay 3K for something that a 50 dollar timex will do just fine

about that comparison....the viper did outbrake the mosler......it broke the record for braking actually on a street car.....the argument about the mosler's brakes being cold does not hold water since that is a street legal car and you cannot put racing brakes on a street car they would never get hot enough to operate properly......pure and simple the viper has better brakes.....

the reason the mosler beat the viper was because its much lighter.....that is not an excuse its a fact and congratulations to them for bringing what is basically a race car to the street.....it will be very hard for a viper to compete with the mosler since one is a 2000 lbs street legal race car while the viper is much more of an everyday car than the mosler.....

the reason the mosler sucked at top end was because it had an aerodinamic package that created huge amounts of downforce....why it handled so well.....i do not keep that against it since who goes to 200mph that often?

about the driver.....how can you say Justin Bell sucks......he won the GTS class at Le Mans and he is one of the best vette drivers in the country....all his driving schools use corvettes

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 05:00 PM   #110
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Quote:
Originally posted by FYRHWK1

you HONESTLY think your 3200 LB or whatever viper outbrakes a 2200 lb mosler for real, that's rich. The only reason the mosler broke so poorly for it's design is the brakes are intended for much hotter usage, they were simply too cold to work properly, couple that with an incapable driver and you get these results. The Viper does not outbrake nor outhandle the Mosler, the nearly 1000 lb difference simply doesnt allow for it given 2 proper brake systems for each car.

You need to get your head out of the magazines, one driver who prefers the viper means nothing when you have other comparisons proving the Z06 to perform at a level not shown by the Viper, I have yet to see Dodge send their best driver ot to challenge Porsches 911 turbo and their best driver, whether the Viper could do it or not doesn't matter, it hasn't yet, when it has then we'll talk. Some magazine articles are good, the ones where the drivers are supplied by the company themselves are usually the only ones you can trust, and even thent eh writers will add their own opinions, at least they publish proper laptimes in those kind.

the Mosler has the power and aerodynamics to do more then 165 MPH, that much is obvious, if the corvette can do 170 on 350 HP and a .29 to .32 Cd then the mosler will do the same with ease, it'll do MORE with the extra power and aerodynamics as well. Who wuold I rather believe, a sucessful manufacturer who built the car or some dipshit magazine editor who thinks he can drive? that's like A magazine claiming the viper could only do 150 MPH because thats all the higher they got it up to.
Incapable driver?? Neutrino said, it Justin Bell is far more capable than those editors are. And, I have no doubt in my mind that the Mosler will outbrake the Viper, reason it's brakes suck is because it has no ABS, so with the added help of it, it prob would stop shorter. Yet it does have smaller diameter brake discs, and narrower tires, although I believe that those tires have more grip than those of the Vipers. They also said that they measured brake temps over 350ºF, I think that's plenty hot.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:02 PM   #111
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
FYRHWK1, now you're taking stabs in the dark. I see that you are just too closed minded to accept the facts. If you're going to try to equate diver skill into braking than you have e laughing my ass off. It takes NO skill to stop a car in a straight line. All you have to do is mash the pedal. I can't believe you were trying to argue that. While I don't weigh my decisions heavily on what magazines say, you've just gone too far and discredit them completely, unless they are saying something good about the Vette I suppose.

We've shown you the facts, but you're just too blind in your own bias to believe them. I give up. Talking to you is like trying to explain the color blue to a blind person.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:35 PM   #112
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

What about the color red?

Dont forget trying to explain the Mystic (chameleon) color
DkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 03:47 PM   #113
stangvette1
Banned

DkShadow, your sig is a little off. The LS1 CAN be beaten. The 2003 Cobra will run mid 12s ( not 13s). The camaro ls1 and firebird ls1 will get their doors blown off, while the corvette ls1 will get beat by 3-4 tenths. GM only has one car with an engine that can compete with the cobra's supercharged 4.6L. That car would be the Z06 with its LS6!
Old 07-27-2003, 04:52 PM   #114
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by stangvette1
DkShadow, your sig is a little off. The LS1 CAN be beaten. The 2003 Cobra will run mid 12s ( not 13s). The camaro ls1 and firebird ls1 will get their doors blown off, while the corvette ls1 will get beat by 3-4 tenths. GM only has one car with an engine that can compete with the cobra's supercharged 4.6L. That car would be the Z06 with its LS6!
Refer to this thread

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...hreadid=119182

DkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:49 PM   #115
stangvette1
Banned

Thanks for the thread. Yeah, that is the opinion of most ls1 owners!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:19 PM   #116
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:
Originally posted by v10_viper

Incapable driver?? Neutrino said, it Justin Bell is far more capable than those editors are. And, I have no doubt in my mind that the Mosler will outbrake the Viper, reason it's brakes suck is because it has no ABS, so with the added help of it, it prob would stop shorter. Yet it does have smaller diameter brake discs, and narrower tires, although I believe that those tires have more grip than those of the Vipers. They also said that they measured brake temps over 350ºF, I think that's plenty hot.
I wasn't aware Justin bell did the driving, my mistake. 350* is hot now? perhaps for street brakes, but the mosler has a setup made for enduring much hihger temps, if it broke as well as it did on cold brakes then imagine what it would have done at properly heated temps after 2 or 3 laps on a track.

Quote:
FYRHWK1, now you're taking stabs in the dark. I see that you are just too closed minded to accept the facts. If you're going to try to equate diver skill into braking than you have e laughing my ass off. It takes NO skill to stop a car in a straight line. All you have to do is mash the pedal. I can't believe you were trying to argue that. While I don't weigh my decisions heavily on what magazines say, you've just gone too far and discredit them completely, unless they are saying something good about the Vette I suppose.
You need some more track time if you think it takes no driver skill to threshold brake a car, obviously you've never tried it. Besides that, the reason for hte moslers "poor" performance was due to its design, it's made to take hours of hot lapping and its brakes are suited for that duty, not cold street performance. "all you have to do is mash the pedal" what a maroon

Neutrino, again, I wasn't aware that jsutin bell was the one driving all of the cars, I assumed he only drove the viper, yes he's obviously a great driver, I never said HE was bad, I said that editors who usually do the driving are. You're probably right about the aero package, I don't have the magazine in quesiton so I don't know but thats obviously a possibility, like I was saying to v_10 there's rarely a time when you'll go above those speeds anyway so it makes sense about what you said.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #117
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
I dont think that magazine said anything about it's brakes, so I'll believe you, I just find it pretty stupid to put endurance racing brakes, that require high temps, on a street car. Doesn't really make sense but I'll take your word on it I suppose, until I find out for myself.

And yes, even Justin Bell had said that the braking tests were the easiest because all you have to do is stand on the brakes, all except for the Mosler with it not having ABS, and he has had much more track time than probably anybody on AF. And they also did a 100-0 to see what that turned and after just one run they measured brake temps over 350, maybe I should have made that more clear, so I'm sure after the second or third one they were pretty warmed up. Still doesn't make sense to put racing brakes on a street car, can I have some proof, I'm not doubting you though because I obviously dont know.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:53 PM   #118
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally posted by FYRHWK1

You need some more track time if you think it takes no driver skill to threshold brake a car, obviously you've never tried it. Besides that, the reason for hte moslers "poor" performance was due to its design, it's made to take hours of hot lapping and its brakes are suited for that duty, not cold street performance. "all you have to do is mash the pedal" what a maroon
You being a great race driver.

I said in a straight line. Going 100-0 in a straight line all you have to do is stand on the brakes. A trained monkey could do it as well as any pro race car driver. I understand that it takes skill to brake in turns. Also Neutrino already explained the Moslers brakes to you. You don't seem to be able to read half the posts too well.

I think your ignorance is due to close mindedness, bias, lack of knowledge, and now not being able to read.

I give up, you're hopeless.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote