Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
dennisditch
AF Newbie

Question remove rear door with broken latch

how can i remove the rear driver side door when both the inside and outside handles do not release the latch? alternative question how can i release the latch ?
dennisditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: remove rear door with broken latch

Did the inside and outside problem happen at the same time?

Compared to the opposite side door handles, do you feel the same resistance in the handles? If no, then the linkages could have come off(rare to happen at the same time).....

The possibilities are the latch is locked, or rusted and won't release.....can you "feel" the linkage move when you manually lock/unlock the door?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
dennisditch
AF Newbie

the inside and outside problems happened when my 22 year old gorilla had trouble opening the door so he just pulled harder. then when the outside did not work he moved to the inside.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
dennisditch
AF Newbie

when i use the manual lock on the inside i can feel resistance and a change. when i pull on either inside or outside handle there is no feel of resistance or change as there is on the other door. my guess either the linkage is off or deformed.
my plans are to loosen the hinge bolts and slide the door slightly forward then try to release the latch. if i can get it released then remove the latch and repair/replace. i have replaced latches and locks in my pickup when i had to replace damaged doors, so i have a hint but i am not an expert.
thanks for any help.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisditch View Post
when i use the manual lock on the inside i can feel resistance and a change. when i pull on either inside or outside handle there is no feel of resistance or change as there is on the other door. my guess either the linkage is off or deformed.
my plans are to loosen the hinge bolts and slide the door slightly forward then try to release the latch. if i can get it released then remove the latch and repair/replace. i have replaced latches and locks in my pickup when i had to replace damaged doors, so i have a hint but i am not an expert.
thanks for any help.
If it were me, I think I would open up the opposite side door and find out what needs to be moved to get the door open, then, on the trouble side, remove the little plastic trim around the inside door release and go in there with a coat hanger and attempt to snag the thing and pull. I have never tried it, but that's were I'd begin.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
dennisditch
AF Newbie

thanks i'll give it a try