Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Wrangler
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 12:35 PM   #1
VDubBoy22
AF Newbie

Question 5th Gear problems

I have had my 93 Jeep Wrangler for about two years. I have just replaced the clutch about 4 moths ago. Now when I go to shift into fifth gear it go in but, if I have to coast to slow down I pop out of gear.
My brother had a 95 Wrangler that completely lost fifth gear. Will this happen to mine? What could be the problem & how much to fix. I was hoping to get rid of the Jeep in about 8 months and don't want to have to pay another 1,200 bucks to fix the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
VDubBoy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 02:34 PM   #2
newjeepr
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to newjeepr
Noone on here, try jeepsunlimited.com

newjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:07 PM   #3
lots of questions
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to lots of questions
check your clutch linkage. is your jeep lifted at all??? if it is i bet $1000 it is the clutch linkage.
lots of questions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
BumperDurham
AF Newbie

Red face 5th Gear problems Wrangler

I have a 1995 Wrangler. 5th Gear has been out twice. Both times the same reason. The retaining clip that holds the gear in place breaks and the gear floats down the shaft out of range to engage. It's a $3 part to replace, if you can save the gaskets when you take the tranny apart. However you have to remove the tranny and split the case to get at it. You can buy a kit with all the gaskets and syncronizers for $130 off EBAY, but it doesn't have the retaining clip. You can buy the clip for $3 bucks from a jeep dealer. This should be a recall issue for Jeep. Most the 5 speed trannys on EBay have the same problem. Your problem could be simpler. There's a spring loaded retaining ball that's accessable from the outside of the tranny that holds the shifting forks in place. When they get worn, the gears can spin out to their neutral position.
BumperDurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 07:47 PM   #5
Dragonclan-X
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Dragonclan-X
Re: 5th Gear problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubBoy22
I have had my 93 Jeep Wrangler for about two years. I have just replaced the clutch about 4 moths ago. Now when I go to shift into fifth gear it go in but, if I have to coast to slow down I pop out of gear.
My brother had a 95 Wrangler that completely lost fifth gear. Will this happen to mine? What could be the problem & how much to fix. I was hoping to get rid of the Jeep in about 8 months and don't want to have to pay another 1,200 bucks to fix the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
I have a similiar problem, while it doesn't do it all the time... sometimes i'd have my hand of the shifter and i'd just pop out of 3rd gear, then the gears grind of course.
Dragonclan-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:02 PM   #6
junkhound
AF Newbie

Re: 5th Gear problems

Decade old thread but perhaps details below will help someone else.

Going down freeway in 5th and then 'no 5th', no noise, all else OK.

Pulled tranny (after driving for a few weeks without 5th) snap ring on main shaft at back end of tranny popped out of its slot, and drive gear on output shaft slipped off the spline onto bare section of shaft.

Could have fixed just removing the xfer case and driving on a new snap ring, wold be a 15 in job on a 2 WD if you had the 1" snap ring on hand

I had a habit of using 5th to brake, that forces slanted gear OFF the spline (drive forces against main bearing) Lots of steep hills here so 5th for braking seemed wise, until now. Will not use 5th for downhill braking any longer.

BTW, '84 NWC T5 tranny.
junkhound is offline   Reply With Quote