Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Integra
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 10:05 PM   #1
Swonder67
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Swonder67
GSR, or type R motor

Aright fellas heres the deal. I'm pretty tired of my little civic gettin revved on and beat by almost every car on the road. (with exception to geo metros)... anyway, I plan on a swap, and I wanna know if you GSR guys are happy with your engines, or should I spring for a type R engine. I plan on going all motor. A GSR motor would be cheaper, but I wanna know if it's worth the money... Help me out guys (and girls, if any).
Swonder67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 05:29 AM   #2
Integra-F20C
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Integra-F20C Send a message via AIM to Integra-F20C
Well..if ya wanna turbo the B18C..then get the GSR B18C1 motor..since it has lower compression so it is better for turbo..but if u want all motor mania...go for B18C4/5 Spec-R engine...which has higher compression which is what u need in a all motor..so it's up to u really..

more infoHere
Integra-F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 06:54 AM   #3
Swonder67
AF Fanatic

Well, I'm just worried about the reliability of forcd induction. Thats why I wanna go all motor. And even if I did get a TC or SC, I wouldn't get alot of boost. maybe, 7-10 psi. Nothing like 30 or anything.
Old 11-18-2001, 12:30 AM   #4
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Don't people usually buy LS VTEC engine then Turbo it?

Anyways 30 psi are not suited for Street use. Have fun with lag!!
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 05:21 AM   #5
Integra-F20C
AF Enthusiast

LS vtec is not as reliable!..and most people use it cause it's a damn good all motor engine..it has so much dman more torque then the B18C engine....and so..since it's mostly for a all motor car..

then adding turbo would be stupid..because

high-compression+turbo=boom

and well..if u want all mtoor then go for B18C4/5 Spec-R..since that engine is specially made for all motor 205hp stock if u get a B18C5 Spec-R..which is an higher compression engine.

but if u don't want to boost too much..then just get a B18C1/2/3

and get a T28 ball bearing etc turbo..and run at 0.7bar boost with ur internal settings...that way will be ok boost, enough to scare a few mustangs or 2 and definitely some non turbo cars..goodluck

more infoHere
Old 11-18-2001, 05:37 AM   #6
M-type
AF Enthusiast

go with the gsr, cause its the same engine as the type R with different ratios..ect and a little better gas mileage. If you're gonna keep the engine stock, go with the type R. But if you plan on swaping the engine parts later go with the GSR. If you plan on a turbo, get a GSR engine and put sleeves in the cylinders and change the valves and the valve springs before you drop it into your car. If you are getting the turbo for the blow off sound, its not a good idea at 7psi. It not gonna have enough pressure to make those cool noises. Oh here is another idea, you can always but a spoon or a mugen built b18. They are good NA engines. I'm not sure if they are street legal though, but there are always loop holes for those situations. good luck on your car
Old 11-18-2001, 05:12 PM   #7
Swonder67
AF Fanatic

Technically, and JDM engine in a USDM car is illegal, yeah, I would go NA. I like the GSR motor. hmmm, now, how much money do I have????
Old 11-19-2001, 05:07 PM   #8
Integra-F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by M-type
go with the gsr, cause its the same engine as the type R with different ratios..ect and a little better gas mileage. If you're gonna keep the engine stock, go with the type R. But if you plan on swaping the engine parts later go with the GSR. If you plan on a turbo, get a GSR engine and put sleeves in the cylinders and change the valves and the valve springs before you drop it into your car. If you are getting the turbo for the blow off sound, its not a good idea at 7psi. It not gonna have enough pressure to make those cool noises. Oh here is another idea, you can always but a spoon or a mugen built b18. They are good NA engines. I'm not sure if they are street legal though, but there are always loop holes for those situations. good luck on your car
nah..man...there is heaps between a B18C1/2/3 and a B18C4/5 spec-R..

the ITR engine has bigger throttle body..port and polsihed intake manifold and cylinders..better headers..much better camshafts..higher compressions better pistons..ITR engine is so much mroe better then GSR..and that's why the JDM B18C5 Spec-R engine is liek 205hp..
there is a lot of things that a B18C1/2/3 have to do to make it to 205hp all motor..but of coz...the GSr motor has the bette potential to doing it up...but will cost more..

more infoHere
Old 11-19-2001, 06:50 PM   #9
Swonder67
AF Fanatic

well, if I do get the engine, i'd be redoing it completely. so I'd be gettin new headers, cams, valves, etc. so as long as the block is essentially the same, it'd be ok.
Old 11-20-2001, 02:04 AM   #10
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
I know a lot of people very, very happy with the LS/VTEC. I'd recommend this. B18B bottom end, and then any B series VTEC head makes lots of power. I haven't heard any reports of bad reliability from these motors.

As for a JDM engine being illegal in a USDM chassis, well shit, I guess I'm in trouble, because I've got a JDM hybrid. It's never caused me any worries.

Anyway, any of these choices are good. You would probably even be making a big step up in performance even with just a B18B swap.
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 10:35 PM   #11
Swonder67
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by F20C
Don't people usually buy LS VTEC engine then Turbo it?

Anyways 30 psi are not suited for Street use. Have fun with lag!!
Lag won't be too much of a problem with the right blow off valve
Old 07-14-2002, 12:26 PM   #12
PhatAck813
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to PhatAck813
About the ls/vtec motor

I have an integra LS and I want more power, and I also want to put a turbo on it. For the LS/Vtec conversion, what all is involved. Is it a LS block with gsr head. Please email me back at mab813@hotmail.com or leave a comment explaining. Please help me!!!!
PhatAck813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 12:34 PM   #13
93speed
AF Enthusiast

I'm sure you could use the search feature to find lots of info.

O/T, but is that Erie as in Erie, PA?
93speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:52 PM   #14
1990 CRVTEC Integ
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 1990 CRVTEC Integ
if u gonna go all motor do CRVTEC.....get b20b and a b16a or GSR or if u got the money ITR head. ull have a butt load of torque. plus if u do some fuel tuning and other minor things u could beat a type r.
1990 CRVTEC Integ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:52 AM   #15
Marasmus
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Marasmus
Quote:
Originally posted by Swonder67
well, if I do get the engine, i'd be redoing it completely. so I'd be gettin new headers, cams, valves, etc. so as long as the block is essentially the same, it'd be ok.
I deliberated the same questions greatly before deciding to buy my GS-R. I went with the GS-R because (1) it's cheaper, (2) parts are a little easier to get than B18C5 parts (if i break something!), and (3) there's a bigger gain to be made when replacing the internals.

if you're doing the whole valve train, pistons, etc... see if you can get a crankshaft from a late B18C5. it's balanced differently (read: better) and will help greatly in your search for the 5-digit RPM's

In case you haven't seen it yet, check out www.hondata.com - they built an all-motor GS-R doing something silly like 258hp. There's a ton of potential with the B18C1 + buildup.

Only real pain in the butt about the GS-R is that you'll need to replace the throttle body with a much bigger one and port-match both the intake and exhaust to a larger diameter, to accomodate adequate airflow at higher RPMs. The Type-R's TB could probably go to 9000rpms without being touched.. just a thought.
Marasmus is offline   Reply With Quote