Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 11:54 PM   #1
Braley
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2002 Chevy Venture Fuel Filter (new) Leaking Gas

Hello,

Yesterday our 2002 Chevy Venture minivan died in the store's parking lot. It would not stay running when we started it and let off the gas. As long as we were pushing the gas pedal down, the van would run. As soon as you let off the gas, it died.

So my husband walked to the auto store and bought a new fuel filter. He then tried to replace it in the store parking lot. As soon as he took off the 'male hose' from the fuel filter, a lot of gasoline sprayed him in his face and of course he came out from under the van screaming and in pain. (Don't worry with kids we had over 8 bottles of water in the van and I flushed his face and eyes for over 10 min and he is fine now).

Anyway, in the process of flailing under the van when the gas hit his face, he jumbled up these little black and rainbow colored rings and lost a long rusty screw/bolt that screws the main round body of the fuel filter to the underneath of the car and holds it in place.

We searched and could not find the bolt. My husband jumbled up the small rubber rings and did not know what was from the old or new filter. He tried placing them on the new fuel filter but as soon as he turned on the car, not even the engine just turned the key to where you can play the radio... all this gas sprayed out from the new fuel filter. After many tries of re-arranging the little o rings he gave up and called a tow truck.

Today he called auto zone and they looked at a new fuel filter in it's box (same one my husband bought) and told my husband that there was only one small black o ring on the fuel filter. So he put one ring on his new fuel filter (on the male hose I think) but still the filter sprays gas as soon as he turns the key. He then went and bought new 'hose clips' and tried those. The fuel filter still sprayed gas.

So, what I am now trying to find out is what could possibly be causing the fuel filter to spray the gas (leak). My husband (in his words) is a welder, not a modern car mechanic and is getting really stressed over this. I was hoping maybe someone had some tips or ideas for us to check on to fix this problem.

Thank you for your help and time, very much appreciated.

1. Does he need new or different sized little rubber rings?
2. Could the missing bolt that screws the large body of the filter to the car be causing this gas leak?
3. I read he should turn off the gas some where and then replace the filter, could this cause a gad leak issue because he did not do this before replacing the fuel filter?
Braley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 2002 Chevy Venture Fuel Filter (new) Leaking Gas

Welcome Aboard!

First, there is no place to turn off the fuel to prevent leakage from the tank when changing the filter. All that needs to be done is to turn off the ignition and relieve the pressure from the system. Some fuel will invariably leak from the fuel lines since they will be full.

The fuel pump should run a two-second prime cycle to pressurize the system whenever the ignition is turned on, and will run constantly as soon as the engine is turning. Thus, if the lines are not properly sealed to the fuel filter there will be leakage as soon as the ignition is turned on.

While it is important to secure the filter in position with the screw, the lack of this should not cause any leakage.

The filter uses barbed plastic clips to hold the line fittings to filter. There is a male fitting on the inlet end and female fitting on the outlet end.

The end of each line is sealed by an O-ring. If the O-ring is damaged or missing the connection will leak. The O-ring is installed on the male end of each line connection. Only ONE should be used on each end.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Was the filter attached to, two plastic lines, like in Blue Bowtie's post?

Or one mechanical(metal) and one plastic, or both metal?

If both plastic, those o-rings don't generally come out when disconnecting, but it could happen......

Sure you have the correct filter?

Bolt has nothing to do with the leak, it just secures the band to hold it in place....

Next time, relieve the pressure......one way is with car running, remove fuel pump fuse.....car will eventually die as fuel is used up......pressure will drop, but as Bowtie states, there will still be some residual fuel that leaks out when the lines are disconnected....but it won't be under high pressure(if you were to turn your key on, and then off, you would have approx. 45psi of fuel pressure.....that's why is sprayed on him)....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
Braley
AF Newbie

Hi and thanks Bow and Tech for your help. I'm going to let my husband type out to you the problem he is still having, so here he is.

Husband: The female end (of the filter) has 4 inserts (2 o rings, 2 flat rings) and does not leak. The female end (of the gas line) is the end that leaks. I have tried multiple combinations with the leftover rings and nothing has worked. I have tried a single o ring also with no success. I went to the store and bought a second filter in case the first was damaged and it still leaked. Could I have damaged the hose? --Thank you.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Technically, you are correct about the seals, but they should NOT come out without intentionally picking them out.

The deepest is an FKM (Viton) O-ring followed by a PE guide ring, followed by a silicone O-ring, and finally a UHMW (Nylon) sleeve/bushing/clip nearest the fitting opening. If these are damaged, the potential for leaks exist. The steel standpipe which slides into the fitting must also be clean, free of rust, not distorted, and it helps to apply a bit of clean engine oil to aid in insertion. The oil will not negatively affect any of the materials.

If the connections are not clean, sound, and smooth, there is little chance of them sealing. The hose fitting can be replaced, but it requires special procedures including warming the hard nylon hose to a controlled temperature, supporting the hose in a round clamp (like a flare tool line clamp) to prevent kinking, then inserting the new barbed fitting straight and quickly. Of course, there must be enough line length available to accomplish this and still connect the filter.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
Braley
AF Newbie

Thank you Bowtie, my husband said that was very helpful and he will do everything you said and see how it works tomorrow. Either way I will let you know if it works or doesn't.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
Tech II
AF Fanatic

There should be no o-rings on the filter itself....if two plastic lines attach, the o-rings are in the lines.......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2002 , chevy , filter , fuel , venture
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture