Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Integra
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 04:02 PM   #16
xsmilk
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 Acura Integra Alternator

I might be off but i've replaced 2 and removing the master cylinder worked just fine...... it was quick and the only muss was bleeding the breaks after which was also pretty quick
xsmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:43 PM   #17
knorwj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to knorwj

Please try not to bring back old threads. It is against user guidelines here.

On a side note relevant to the original topic, I recently popped out my alternator to install new brushes. I found that you don't need to remove axles, master cylinder, or even motor mounts.

All I did was remove oil filter, and remove the two bolts holding the intermediate shaft, I then rotated the intermediate shaft so that the bracket was out of the way. After that the alternator was able to squeeze out between the shaft and the block. It did take a little bit of turning to get the right angle but when I had it turned right I almost dropped the alternator on my head. haha. Anyway its something for you guys to try next time you need to remove the alternator.

New:
1998 chevy BlaZeR2~ AKA "Jeep recovery device"

Newer:
2007 Honda CB900F "919"
knorwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #18
xsmilk
AF Newbie

so sorry...just catching up on things...
Old 08-25-2006, 02:51 AM   #19
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorwj
Please try not to bring back old threads. It is against user guidelines here.

On a side note relevant to the original topic, I recently popped out my alternator to install new brushes. I found that you don't need to remove axles, master cylinder, or even motor mounts.

All I did was remove oil filter, and remove the two bolts holding the intermediate shaft, I then rotated the intermediate shaft so that the bracket was out of the way. After that the alternator was able to squeeze out between the shaft and the block. It did take a little bit of turning to get the right angle but when I had it turned right I almost dropped the alternator on my head. haha. Anyway its something for you guys to try next time you need to remove the alternator.
Since you mentioned it, I removed an alternator that way once. It was last spring. Didn't have to drop the oil filter though, but still, trying to position it to squeeze out through the intermediate shaft...not much fun. It you're good at removing an axle it can go quicker, though it's more work. I tried it one other time on another car, and dang it just wouldn't got thourgh. Had to remove the axel in the end.

It's just that easy folks... mind the forum guidelines and we're cool.
Empty Pockets Racing Member #6
EPR Member 4 Life
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 AM   #20
joeyike
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1996
Does anyone know how to get the alternator out of a 1990 Acura Integra? I have the alternator disconnected and unbolted. The problem is finding a space wide enough for it to fit through. I can't get it around the axle or anything else. Hope someone knows how this is done.

Thanks,

JD
Remove the neg battery cable- while on the ground remove the l/s axle nut
Jack up and support the front end
Remove l/f tire, lower ball joint, lower spring/strut nut and bolt, separte the lower ball joint from the knuckle. Without damaging the axle shaft -push it through the rotor.
Gently pry the axle from the center bearing axle support. after the axle is out.
Remove the top bolt and nut from the alt. Also the lower bolt. Postion the alt so you can unplug the regualtor and remove the battery calble.

not done yet- remove the alt mounting plate from the motor, 3 bolts. Drop out the alt.
Install in reverse- have fun
joeyike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #21
joeyike
AF Newbie

I just did it last week. It's not that hard but takes about an hour

With car on ground remove L/S axle nut, remove the battery grnd cable
Jack up car put jack stands under body not lower arm, remove tire, remove cotter pin on lower ball joint
remove lower strut bolt and nut. Remove lowr ball joint nut and use a pickle fork or puller, seperate spindle from lwr arm.
Gently tap axle out of hub. Use a large punch in hole do not ap out the threads,
After axle is out of hub, turn spindle assy and support axle.
Go under the car and pry the axle from the center bearing support. DO NOT pull the axle from shaft- this will dislodge the bearing. It can be tricky put take your time. Thier is a internal snap ring in the axle - that is why it needs to be pryed out. Use a large screw driver it a 3/16 or 1/4 head. Remove the axle holding the shaft not the ends.
Located the alt top bolt and nut remove it. lossen the lwr bolt, slide the alt over and remove the belt. Remove the lower bolt.
Position the alt so that you can diconnect the regulator pug and battery Cable.
Remove the 3 mounting bolts from the alt support to the engine.
Remove the alt throught he opening where the axle was.
Assembly is reverse. Change the alt belt now it easier now than later. You will need to remove the pwr steering pump belt and Air Comp (if it has AC).
Replace the Axle nut also tighten to 135 ft lbs and crimp the end to the notch in the shaft. Replace the cotter pin on the ball jiont .The idiot I got my car from used a roofing Nail ! Have fun.
joeyike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #22
Ascendance
Banned

Not sure if Hondas are any diff to Acuras etc in this respect but you can just undo it, and turn it to slide straight out the top. No harder than any other car out there....
Ascendance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #23
gatorman69
AF Newbie

Well guys and gals I have the easiest way to take care of this problem. This is the second alternator for this car in 9 months of couse the car was in Guam then shipped to Maryland so maybe the salt in the air, the moisture from the trip or whatever caused it to go bad so fast, of course the fact that I had to buy it in Guam could be a real key factor in this problem, and doing it this way will save you a lot of money. The guys at the shops around here want $408.95 to change the thing cause you have to remove the drivshaft they say. NOT SO!! Keep reading for the lowdown on how to do this fast and EASY!

First remove the battery cables, then remove the top bolt from the alternator it is a 12mm. After you jack up the front end, crawl under the front end on the drivers side and remove the three 14mm bolts holding the axel in place and the three 10mm bolts holding the cover for the brake lies. Rotate the axel bracket down take the oil filter and the long 12mm bottom bolt for the engine mount out. Remove the bottom bolt for the alternator remove the wire harness and positve cable, and slide it right out. Of course just put everything back it the reverse order with the new alternator when done. That easy, and it takes about 63 min from start to finish. Hope this helps somebody in the future!

Later,
Gator
gatorman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #24
xsmilk
AF Newbie

sounds like a lot of work... did 2 .... remove the master cylinder..and there's room...easy peasy
Old 12-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #25
Ascendance
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman69
Well guys and gals I have the easiest way to take care of this problem. This is the second alternator for this car in 9 months of couse the car was in Guam then shipped to Maryland so maybe the salt in the air, the moisture from the trip or whatever caused it to go bad so fast, of course the fact that I had to buy it in Guam could be a real key factor in this problem, and doing it this way will save you a lot of money. The guys at the shops around here want $408.95 to change the thing cause you have to remove the drivshaft they say. NOT SO!! Keep reading for the lowdown on how to do this fast and EASY!

First remove the battery cables, then remove the top bolt from the alternator it is a 12mm. After you jack up the front end, crawl under the front end on the drivers side and remove the three 14mm bolts holding the axel in place and the three 10mm bolts holding the cover for the brake lies. Rotate the axel bracket down take the oil filter and the long 12mm bottom bolt for the engine mount out. Remove the bottom bolt for the alternator remove the wire harness and positve cable, and slide it right out. Of course just put everything back it the reverse order with the new alternator when done. That easy, and it takes about 63 min from start to finish. Hope this helps somebody in the future!

Later,
Gator
And while you're at it, the easiest way to get dressed for the job is to start growing some cotton plants, then harvest them......

Dude, EASY is meant to be simple, less hassle etc, not overly complicated and completely unneccesary!
Ascendance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #26
jy6993
AF Newbie

I'm having a.problem with getting lower ball joint to go back In to it hole. It acts like the axle is stoping it as if its not in far enough but its locked in the way its supposed to be. Is my axel messed up inside the boot? Anybody ever have this problem? I'm about to pull my hair out.
jy6993 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Integra