Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
Jmalbright
AF Newbie

Question Replacing the struts & strut mounts

I have a 2004 Alero with the 3400 SFI engine and it has about 62K miles racked up on it. There has been a loud crunching noise coming from the front end when I go over speed bumps for some time now that is especially pronounced when it is cold. After reading other threads I am pretty sure at least one strut bearing plate needs to be replaced. I figured while I'm at it I might as well replace all bearing plates/struts. This is something I am planning on doing myself and was hoping for a little help from you guys to make sure I am getting the right parts. So, I'm just going to link to the product pages from napa and if you could alert me if I am looking at a wrong part I would appreciate it. (note: in order to view the product pages, I think you may have to enter your zip code or a zip code that has a nearby napa)

1) Strut Bearing Plate w/ Bearing - Front: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...69_0234776765#

2) Strut Bearing Plate w/o Bearing - Rear: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...052018+102004#

3) Strut Spring Seat - Front Susp: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...524_0258096053

4) Strut Spring Seat - Rear Susp: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...2052018+102004

5) Strut - NAPA Response - Front: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...2052018+102004

6) Strut - NAPA Response - Rear: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...2052018+102004

I listed spring seats above. Are these necessary to replace? Also, if you could give me an indication on the quality of the above parts, that would be great. i.e. how to they compare to the factory originals?

Thanks for the help.
Jmalbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Replacing the struts & strut mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmalbright View Post

I listed spring seats above. Are these necessary to replace?

Also, if you could give me an indication on the quality of the above parts, that would be great. i.e. how to they compare to the factory originals?

Thanks for the help.
No, only if they are damaged like torn or you see visible signs of wear. I don't use NAPA parts just the GM/AC Delco brand only so I can't comment on how those parts will work.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
Jmalbright
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response. Now, I have another question regarding alignment. I understand that when I replace the struts, strut mounts, etc. I will need to have the car aligned. However, I am thinking I may just do the front end for now and then the rear later on down the road. Is there any reason why I would need to get the rear wheels aligned or would it be sufficient to only get the fronts done?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Nothing wrong with doing just the front struts and rear later. The rear struts last longer than the front. Alignment would depend on the shop doing the work. Some do all 4 only and some will do just the front end alignment at a reduced charge. Good luck!

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
cramer_77
AF Regular

not sure if its too late, but one thing you might look into is what they call a quick strut assembly, these are completely assembled struts, to where all you have to do is take out the old ones and put these in. not all parts stores carry them, and yes they are a little more pricey, but you get a new spring, strut, strut mount and bushing, versus replaced the strut and mount and bushing. just a little extra security in my opinion. When you go to do your alignment, ask the shop about the alignment machine, age is the one thing you wanna kinda watch for, and brand. Some top quality machines are hunter, john beam, and few others. Reason i say age is that john beam has machines that are over 10 years old im sure, you want a newer machine cause that just means it has been taken care of better, and all the updates should be applied. hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
Jmalbright
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Replacing the struts & strut mounts

Well, I got the new struts, strut mounts, and coil spring seats installed pretty easily and I thought the front end noise would be long gone. However, I was driving my car this evening and the noise was still there, although it seemed like it was reduced some. I only hear the noise in cold weather and when I am going over speed bumps. Any ideas what could be causing it?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Jmalbright
AF Newbie

I just wanted to provide a last update to this thread in case someone else out there was having the same problems as myself. This weekend I finally got around to replacing the front stabilizer bar bushings and links and this seems to have completely eliminated all of the noise coming from the front end. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #8
aaron0986
AF Newbie

is there any links on teh forums already here for a good step by step guide on how to replace the upper strut mounts and load bearings?
aaron0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
Jmalbright
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron0986 View Post
is there any links on teh forums already here for a good step by step guide on how to replace the upper strut mounts and load bearings?
I haven't come across any posts on this forum detailing how to do it. I have a Haynes manual and that does a pretty decent job explaining the procedure. A better option would be a factory service manual. For some cars you can find them online for free, but I haven't been able to for the Alero yet. I should probably just break down a buy one, but they're pretty pricey and I'm a poor college student.

The Haynes manual should be pretty easy to locate online and the factory service manual can be found on the GM Goodwrench website for $135.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
mount , strut , struts , suspension
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero