Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Sticky Fingers
AF Enthusiast

Newbie needing guidance!

Hi All,

Firstly, I'd like to say how overawed I am by the quality of workmanship on this site. Totally gobsmacked!

Right, I have checked the FAQs (like a good chap!) but couldn't find everything I was after.

I'll try to keep this as brief as posssible.

As you can see with my model below, I'm no master. But given the fact this is my first model since I was eight and I'm now thirty-one, I think it's okay.

My next build is a Peugeot 206 & a Focus (another one!) from Tamiya. So, I've ordered all my paints, bit worried about the spray paints though - didn't have them when I was eight! And have read the FAQ about painting the body but would like to know:

1) What brand / make / kind of primer is best? (I'll be using tamiya acrylics throughout the build)

2) When is the best time to put decals on? After the first gloss coat, second coat or before?

3) When I used microsol on my first model it affected the windows. Is there any way around this? (apart from the obvious; don't put microsol on the windows!)

Right, I think that's it! Any help muchos appreciados!! Oh, and don't laugh too hard at my first serious model attempt!

Old 01-12-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Sylint Knite
AF Newbie

Re: Newbie needing guidance!

its nice

Sylint Knite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Can't give you any adivce on the painting as I'm still learning myself, but your first build is actually not that bad. At least you have finished a car. I'm still working on my first car since I was 15. I'm 32 now, over 15 years since I last build a scale model I've been working on a Modena for nearly a month now one day I'll get it completed. I hope..

I did read that a lot of builders seem to apply the decals, then clear coat the entire car, and then some do not do this.

One of the regulars will give you more help, But well done on completing the Ford Focus, and to a good standard as well..

Oh - I agree about the talent on this web forum.. Totally awesome..!!
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
freakray
AF Modelrater

Can't fault your 'first attempt' there, it looks pretty good.

To answer your questions:

1. Primer brand is personal preference, I like Tamiya primer, it works well for me

2. Put decals on after you're done with the painting, assuming you mean clear coat when you say 'gloss' that's another personal preference, search for the threads on this and you will see there are a lot of pro's and con's to either way.

3. I always put the windows in after I'm done with the decals, this is probably why I've never had a problem with Microsol clouding windows. That said, I have used in on decals put on clear parts and not had a problem, perhaps it's the Heller/Airfix kit you built that's the problem

So which Pug and Focus did you get?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

G'day, welcome to AF! That Focus looks great.

I think Ray has well covered everything but I'll add:

1. Depends what type of paint you are using. If using Tamiya cans for the body (they're synthetic lacquer not water based acrylics) then as a starter you should probably stick with Tamiya's primer. A whole range of automotive style primers could also be used but most of them will need to be airbrushed.

2. Decals work best if applied to a gloss coat, so after you’re done with the colour is the time. If you intend to clear coat over the top then I like to put a clear coat down before the decals but that is just a personal preference.

3. Never had a problem with Microsol reacting with any type of plastic so this is news to me. If there was a problem with the Focus, rest assured the Tamiya clear plastic will not be similarly affected.

Good luck!
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:20 AM   #6
Sticky Fingers
AF Enthusiast

Many, many thanks for your responses guys!

Glad my model has not been ridiculed.

There's one other thing (sorry!) which I forgot to put in the email and that is:

The 206 I'm building is made by Airfix (don't worry, I won't buy their products again!) and the body colour is to be silver. However, they supplied two pots of silver paint and I now know NOT to brush paint the body work so I'm going to have to buy silver spray paint and a primer. The problem is I don't have a hobby shop nearby and I get all my models/supplies from the internet. I don't want to order just two items from the web as the postage will probably outvalue the product! There IS a Halfords nearby and I've heard about people using real car spray on their models before.

So, could someone advise as to which type of paint & primer I could use from Halfords which will work for my Peugeot 206!

Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-13-2005, 03:32 AM   #7
mickbench
AF Fanatic

I used Halfords grey and white PLASTIC primer straight from the can, and I was a little worried it would cover the details of the model car body. However after two coats of primer (plus another light coat to fix errors) the details are not gone. Thankfully. I think next time though I'll try using Tamiya fine primer, even though car primer (Plastic) is much cheaper..!! Just to see what difference there is, if any..!!

www.modelsinmotion.co.uk where recommended to me for Tamiya TS Spray and masking tape etc.. Free delivery if £15 or more. Give them a try. I have the same problem with supplies. It seems model shops are now a thing of the past in some of the smaller UK towns, even larger towns like Northampton..!! I have just one local hobby store, and most of the time it's pretty useless.!!

Also, I got an airbrush and after you get past the first few jobs with it the fear goes away and it's much better for spraying parts.. I was shocked at the results I got. Even for my first attempts it wasn't that bad..!! I got one for £40 and it was a good make (Badger).

Also another cheaper tip (no I'm not a tight git ) make a spray booth out of a cardboard box, and use old bottles to hold the parts. Just cut the side of the box, as well as the top, leaving the bottom, back and two sides and this will serve well as a spray booth. Saves all the over spray going everywhere..
Old 01-13-2005, 03:40 AM   #8
Dublinguy
AF Regular

Hi there, like everyone said great job on the Focus. As for using real car paints its no problem at all but I would make sure you use the same make primer with the paints. The real car paints are very hot and could easily ruin the body. I have tried Dupli-colour paints which should be easy enough to get hold off. Unfortunately I had a bad experience with their primer and cant comment to much on what their paints are like but I know a lot of guys do use them.

Another option might be Plastikote. I use their grey and white primer and have had no problems with them find them pretty reasonable but I'm not sure if you will be able to get the colour for the body in Plastikote.

Ciaran
Dublinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:26 AM   #9
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man

Most of your questions have been well answered so you should have a good start now.
Welcome along to AF

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:56 AM   #10
Hiroboy
www.hiroboy.com vendor

Send a message via ICQ to Hiroboy Send a message via AIM to Hiroboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hiroboy Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroboy

Hi Stuart and welcome to AF
Nice to see more folks from the UK here these days.

I have been using Halfords primer for years and it's fine, but if you want a finer primer you'll have to shop outside the UK (Japan).

Halfords do a Aluminum Paint which is very simular to Tamiya TS17 (Silver which they call for on the 206)
Old 01-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #11
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Yeah. Nice to see a few from the UK talking about scale models. It's a shame it's so hard to get supplies in the UK.

You are OK if all you want is a basic Airfix kit, or even a tamiya kit and the normal acrylic paints etc.. But if you want anything else you really have to look hard for it. Aftermarket parts don't appear to hardly exist in the UK.

I'm pleased to hear someone else is using Halfords Primer.. HiyoBoy, do you decant your Halfords Primer? I haven't tried this yet, haven't had the nerve to give it a go..!!
Old 01-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #12
Hiroboy
www.hiroboy.com vendor

Send a message via ICQ to Hiroboy Send a message via AIM to Hiroboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hiroboy Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbench
I'm pleased to hear someone else is using Halfords Primer.. HiyoBoy, do you decant your Halfords Primer? I haven't tried this yet, haven't had the nerve to give it a go..!!
No I'm lazy and use straight from the can.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #13
generationx
AF Enthusiast

Quote from Mickbench: "Yeah. Nice to see a few from the UK talking about scale models. It's a shame it's so hard to get supplies in the UK.

You are OK if all you want is a basic Airfix kit, or even a tamiya kit and the normal acrylic paints etc.. But if you want anything else you really have to look hard for it. Aftermarket parts don't appear to hardly exist in the UK."

Amen to that! Even here in the crowded south-east it's getting to be a problem, I can think of maybe five hobby shops that have either closed completely or stopped stocking plastic kits locally. Everyone who has got kits tend to just stock Revell and not much else. Not much of a problem but the choice is limited.
Thank goodness for the internet and fine shops in the UK like Models In Motion and Grand Prix Models...
generationx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:41 AM   #14
Sticky Fingers
AF Enthusiast

Hi agin Guys,

Just want to say 'thanks' for welcoming someone like myself who's not a model-master! Very encouraging.

Also, thanks Hiroboy for the pic, it'll make it easier when buying it on the way home tonight!

I'll let you know how I get on.

By the way, talking of how badly stocked the UK is for plastic kit materials, just got an email from www.netmerchants.co.uk (good UK supplier by the way). I'd asked them if they stocked Tamiya Fine Primer and they said that you can't get it in the UK (this'll explain why I couldn't find it via google). Anyway, the chap said they just received something better than Tamiya Primer!!! Here's what he said:

"Hi Stuart to the best of my knowledge we cannot get Tamiya primer in the UK but we just got in yesterday a far better one. Vallejo 400ml can spray primers in white grey & black. They are perfect for priming and are acrylic, infact far better paints than Tamiya anyway. I will ensure they are placed onto the system this evening."

What do you guys think of that?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #15
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers

"They are perfect for priming and are acrylic, infact far better paints than Tamiya anyway."

What do you guys think of that?
I guess it's all a matter of opinion, and marketing....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling