Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #16
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six
Re: starting a career in automotive

There's definitely money in collision repair, we do account work for a local VW-Audi bodywork shop. they have some expensive cars and turn around plenty of work.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #17
72chevelleOhio
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2 Straight six
if you want to make lots of money, become a diesel tech.
Ehhhhhhh....depends....
I know car guys that make more money then me...(as long as they make rate, which I don't have to! )
I think auto body techs still make more then both auto and diesel techs, at least thats the way it was back in the '90s.
72chevelleOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:20 AM   #18
Stockcar
AF Newbie

How do I become ASE certified? Do I need to?
Stockcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #19
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

I ordered the ASE test for kicks once. I mean no offense to the ASE techs here, but I felt it was more about the business than the cars. I spent a decade self-learning, then when I got a job at a GM service department I was all scared since I wasn't ASE. Then I found out that you scanned your time card, it gave you your job, and listed the GM service manual on the screen concerning that job. It told you step-by-step how to accomplish the job. I think the ASE part is more about diagnosis and business, and the actual job is spelled out for you. I felt like I was way ahead of the shop manual.

In my experience, ASE is a good entry-level certification, then you can learn the more important stuff on your own. Its an excellent way to get a firm footing in the business, and you can expect it to open doors for you, but don't necessarily expect it to teach you a lot about automotive tech.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
SLJ2137694
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
I ordered the ASE test for kicks once. I mean no offense to the ASE techs here, but I felt it was more about the business than the cars. I spent a decade self-learning, then when I got a job at a GM service department I was all scared since I wasn't ASE. Then I found out that you scanned your time card, it gave you your job, and listed the GM service manual on the screen concerning that job. It told you step-by-step how to accomplish the job. I think the ASE part is more about diagnosis and business, and the actual job is spelled out for you. I felt like I was way ahead of the shop manual.

In my experience, ASE is a good entry-level certification, then you can learn the more important stuff on your own. Its an excellent way to get a firm footing in the business, and you can expect it to open doors for you, but don't necessarily expect it to teach you a lot about automotive tech.
(It is a valuable yardstick by which to measure the knowledge and skills of individual technicians as well as the commitment to quality of the repair facility employing ASE-Certified professionals.) FROM ASE WEB-SITE.ASE Certification is not in place to teach you anything, it is about proving your basic technical competance to a potential employer. However, after taking the tests you may realize the areas that you need additional training in.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #21
SLJ2137694
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockcar
How do I become ASE certified? Do I need to?
Start here.http://www.asecert.org/

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical