Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 AM   #16
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: my turbo'd spitfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob
I will get the car rolling first with the stock rearend. But it will only be making 120hp and 65ft/lb's. Far from mind-blowing power output. I won't turbo it until I change out the rear end. I'm using the naturally asperated engine as a testing bed for my different concepts, working out the details. Then I'll try playing with real power.
Fair enough, but, I managed to blow the diff in mine with only 100hp and about 100ft/lb.
And this was in a much lighter car, it weighed 720kg with me in it, and a full tank of gas.
When I pulled the car off the road, pulled the body off, and took the diff out, I thought I should have a look inside.
Teeth were sitting in the housing when I took it off, and both the ring gear and the pinion were stripped completely of teeth in places.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 AM   #17
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
Fair enough, but, I managed to blow the diff in mine with only 100hp and about 100ft/lb.
And this was in a much lighter car, it weighed 720kg with me in it, and a full tank of gas.
When I pulled the car off the road, pulled the body off, and took the diff out, I thought I should have a look inside.
Teeth were sitting in the housing when I took it off, and both the ring gear and the pinion were stripped completely of teeth in places.
the ft/lbs is the big difference here. You were playing with a 40% more torquie motor than I am

and this car will weigh about the same. The motor/tranny combo will only weigh 200 pounds (90 kilo's or so) compared to the all iron engine tranny that was stock.

I'll have to do something about the front springs....they are too much for my setup and have no sag at all with the engine/tranny installed.....

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #18
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
I'll have to do something about the front springs....they are too much for my setup and have no sag at all with the engine/tranny installed.....

Theres a slightly mad Esprit owner around here somewhere, get him to look the other way and pinch his front springs and shocks..........
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #19
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

been a while since I posted on this. Been busy with other stuff.

Made a decent amount of progress over the last couple weeks. Got the machining done for the drive train bits, pulled the body off the car and started getting serious about getting this puppy road-worthy

Some pics:

Old 04-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #20
Moppie
Master Connector

Looking good!

That motors a nice fit.

If your really keen, you can cut the chassis rails aft of the front body mounts, and forward of the diff mount, and turn them over the other way so they bow out, not in.
Makes the chassis stiffer, which helps with the handling.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #21
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

I didn't show pics of it, but I had to trim and box up (overkill) the right "strut tower" to make room for the engine/cutch cover. I'll be adding a strut brace also, that will also be the turbo brace

there was also some selective modifying of the tranny tunnel/fire wall to make room for the engine head and drive train, although all of that is pretty minor, since I'll be making a new tranny tunnel cover either way to whatever size/shape I like

I'm not too worried about the front frame, since it will have a lot of bracing along with the strut bracing and bracing for the drive train. The rear area will be completely reworked with the rear end swap, and....knowing me....I'll over do it

Old 04-14-2008, 04:20 AM   #22
Moppie
Master Connector

So you will use the motorbike gear box with a chain drive to the drive shaft?

How to operate the gear change?

The front suspension is already pretty strong, and very well designed.
Colin chapman lifted it straight out of the Herald (same chassis) and dropped into the Lotus 7, and with only slight changes into the Lotus Esprit.

For the back end, I'm pretty sure there is room to get a double wishbone set up in there as well, and keep the transverse leaf.
I was going to use Datsun/Subaru diff head, with multi link arms and axles from a 4WD DOHC Turbo Mazda 323 read end.
The Fuji Industries diff used in the Nissan's and Subaru's is much lower profile than the MX5, although as you mentioned earlier, possibly not as common in your part of the world, and much harder to find with LSD.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #23
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

just gonna run some linkage between a stick and the shift shaft. Slap the stick forward, you shift up, slap the stick back, you shift down

Old 04-15-2008, 01:32 AM   #24
Moppie
Master Connector

I thought so, won't be many spitfires with sequential boxes in them

I can't wait to see what you do to the rear end either.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 AM   #25
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

they sell an aftermarket air shifter that shifts up or down with a couple bottons....could put paddles on the wheel just like a super car

but they want $800 for that option. Very low on the list....I can use a stick for now

will only be a 5 speed....I could have gotten a 6 speed, but honestly, I think its overkill

rear end will probably be a while. Well....depends how long the stock rear lasts

Old 04-15-2008, 03:29 AM   #26
Moppie
Master Connector

Quote:
...depends how long the stock rear lasts

Been there, broken one of them

Even the standard herald motor can destroy that diff.
I wish I still had mine, I could show some photos of the inside.

I'm sure you could rig your own paddle shift.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #27
driftflow
AF Newbie

that is completely off the hook dawg. I've always wanted to know how to put motorcycle engine in cars... My friend emptied out his smart car and put a busa engine in there. It is dirty as hell.
driftflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #28
Moppie
Master Connector

I never believed I would ever see the words: "off the hook dawg", "Busa" and "Smart Car" in the same sentence.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #29
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93

I also think he took what he saw on youtube and is calling the guy "his friend" when he doesnt actually know him...

Cuz when i was hanging out with my buddy Tom Brady the other day we had a good laugh at that post..
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #30
Reed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Reed

I'm not sure if this applies to this thread, but I was wondering why, when doing this extensive of a modification to a car, one wouldn't convert the suspension to a push/pull rod inboard shock system. I realize this would require quite a bit of fabrication (especially for suspension mounts), but from what i understand, this ype of suspension is superior to that of a strut tower type (please excuse my poor terminology) in that one can make the suspension progressive as more force is applied to the wheel. I am interested in and planning to make a car from scratch at some point in my life and am just trying to better understand some of the finer points of suspension geometry.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical